Thanking after killing

Rock-o

WKR
seems ridiculous to me. I am certainly not religious and dont feel the need to "thank a dead critter" I completely believe in handling the carcass in an ethical manner. But feel no need to create some crazy ritual. I think the dumbest thing I have heard was someone asking if i was going to get the animal mounted to give it "the respect it deserves" like somehow being on a wall after being killed by a bullet is the ultimate achievement for a game animal. ... Honestly I dont understand half the shit hunters do to try and sugarcoat death.
...and I don't harvest anything.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
I always thank the Universe for handing me a success in the field. Then I talk towards the critter saying something along the lines of "Well aren't you just beautiful! <Pat 'em on the shoulder> Thank You Bud...I'm Sorry... but thank you for feeding my family, I promise I won't waste any of it."

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I pray for the animal before the shot. While im looking and after i have recovered it. Simple respect for the value of one life itself.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Just answer the question if its so easy, I can give you a hint if you need it.
Actually it is very easy. The earliest coded laws still in existence come from Sumeria (now modern day Iraq) from approximately 2000 BC. Their code of Ur-Nammu provided codified laws for the crimes of murder, assault, theft, etc. Pre-Christianity European civilizations (e.g. Rome, Greece, Norse, etc.) also had penalties for murder that did not reference god or the bible. Human civilizations from all over the globe have developed societies that possessed their own ideas of right and wrong independent of the Judeo-Christian religions.

That being said, I always place a branch in the mouth of an animal I've killed (or berries for a bear) and been respectful to it's remains.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Actually it is very easy. The earliest coded laws still in existence come from Sumeria (now modern day Iraq) from approximately 2000 BC. Their code of Ur-Nammu provided codified laws for the crimes of murder, assault, theft, etc. Pre-Christianity European civilizations (e.g. Rome, Greece, Norse, etc.) also had penalties for murder that did not reference god or the bible. Human civilizations from all over the globe have developed societies that possessed their own ideas of right and wrong independent of the Judeo-Christian religions.

That being said, I always place a branch in the mouth of an animal I've killed (or berries for a bear) and been respectful to it's remains.

2000 BC isn't really "pre christianity"? God has existed from the beginning. God is the one who gave man a conscience. To feel guilt, right from wrong, love, hate etc. Otherwise we would be just like all the other animals on earth I suppose?

ETtikka

WKR

I appreciate someone responding. The original question was "why is murder wrong without referencing God or the Bible"? it is understood that many societies, empires, etc (before and after Christianity) have had laws based on morals and ethics. So the question still remains where do those laws and ethics originate? In the end their is only two options.

1. God
2. As we evolved from monkeys, a conscience developed somehow, somewhere, and someway, and all these societies that followed developed laws and ethics that just so happen to match the Bible.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
2000 BC isn't really "pre christianity"? God has existed from the beginning. God is the one who gave man a conscience. To feel guilt, right from wrong, love, hate etc. Otherwise we would be just like all the other animals on earth I suppose?
Considering these civilization did not recognize or even know about christianity it is different. They would have believed that their religious beliefs were responsible for their ideas of right and wrong. Just because someone believes a different religion doesn't mean they're wrong. And the fact that many civilizations have developed codes of law and ideas of right and wrong without referring to the Judeo-Christian god would certainly create a great deal of discussion as to whose religion got it right.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Considering these civilization did not recognize or even know about christianity it is different. They would have believed that their religious beliefs were responsible for their ideas of right and wrong. Just because someone believes a different religion doesn't mean they're wrong. And the fact that many civilizations have developed codes of law and ideas of right and wrong without referring to the Judeo-Christian god would certainly create a great deal of discussion as to whose religion got it right.

I see where your coming from, just have a different opinion. The water starts to get deep here... think I'll stay in the shallow end!

Reactions: WCS

TheGDog

WKR
God is the one who gave man a conscience. To feel guilt, right from wrong, love, hate etc. Otherwise we would be just like all the other animals on earth I suppose?
Negative.... your conscience, and it's leanings.... and your empathy and it's leanings... comes from our innate desire and need for socialization... tempered with... your own experiences of cause and affect. Remember... even in your belief system... (presuming Judeo-Christian here) your Gawd gave you "Free Will". If Gawd was the one which gave you a conscience, it wouldn't be "Free Will" then, would it. Just like it is by your own "Free Will" that you elected to invite him into your heart, right?

For ultimately, if you do things in a way that is considered unethical by a great number of folks, you're gonna be left high-and-dry in terms of your support base of other humans. Quickly that begins to suck, so most folks tend to readjust their priorities accordingly.