Thanking after killing

CoHiCntry

WKR
Negative.... your conscience, and it's leanings.... and your empathy and it's leanings... comes from our innate desire and need for socialization... tempered with... your own experiences of cause and affect. Remember... even in your belief system... (presuming Judeo-Christian here) your Gawd gave you "Free Will". If Gawd was the one which gave you a conscience, it wouldn't be "Free Will" then, would it. Just like it is by your own "Free Will" that you elected to invite him into your heart, right?

For ultimately, if you do things in a way that is considered unethical by a great number of folks, you're gonna be left high-and-dry in terms of your support base of other humans. Quickly that begins to suck, so most folks tend to readjust their priorities accordingly.

Seriously doubt anything I say is gonna change your mind. Just like nothing you said changed mine. These discussion topics are kinda funny. Everyone is so certain they're correct in their way of thinking (myself included). We will just have to agree to disagree! Hunt on...

boom

WKR
i do thank the sky and i wil mutter a simple prayer my mother in law taught me. she murmers it everytime she kills a lobster or crab. it was a taiwanese thing. ..i do that thing where you push some grass into the animals mouth as well...

its a big deal to take a life (for me).

boom

WKR
Seriously doubt anything I say is gonna change your mind. Just like nothing you said changed mine. These discussion topics are kinda funny. Everyone is so certain they're correct in their way of thinking (myself included). We will just have to agree to disagree! Hunt on...
thats pretty well said. once i hit my 50's i quit trying to change peoples minds. especiallly on the internet forums.

TheGDog

WKR
Backing out of a debate you can't win by logic, early on. Perhaps there is hope for humanity yet!
Indeed, Hunt on...!

Jimss

WKR
I thank the good man above for the beautiful critter I just harvested!

Jimbob

WKR
Negative.... your conscience, and it's leanings.... and your empathy and it's leanings... comes from our innate desire and need for socialization... tempered with... your own experiences of cause and affect. Remember... even in your belief system... (presuming Judeo-Christian here) your Gawd gave you "Free Will". If Gawd was the one which gave you a conscience, it wouldn't be "Free Will" then, would it. Just like it is by your own "Free Will" that you elected to invite him into your heart, right?

For ultimately, if you do things in a way that is considered unethical by a great number of folks, you're gonna be left high-and-dry in terms of your support base of other humans. Quickly that begins to suck, so most folks tend to readjust their priorities accordingly.
I think your logical argument of the idea of free will being incompatible with a conscience is way off base. Free will itself is an extremely debatable topic in Christian circles so bringing it up to try and prove a point just leads to a whole another set of debates.

If you are going to use Biblical doctrine to support your atheistic beliefs then you really need to know and understand that doctrine or you will make yourself look silly.

I bet we would love just chatting back and forth challenging each other on our beliefs. I enjoy being challenged in what I believe because it makes me really think WHY I believe what I do. Also, I am not perfect and some things I am wrong about it I just don't know it yet. If anyone thinks they know everything then they have already proven themselves wrong.

TheGDog

WKR
You're so wise Obi-Wan! So obviously you know I didn't make myself look silly right there. That's a key piece of doctrine in that faith. The concept of "Free Will" and why you were "given" it. Even I know that.

You're so wise Obi-Wan! So obviously you know I didn't make myself look silly right there. That's a key piece of doctrine in that faith. The concept of "Free Will" and why you were "given" it. Even I know that.

TheGDog

This is intended to be helpful and meaningful. Please note up front that I am a bigger fan of truth and usefulness than pettiness or half-baked careless exchanges. I also care about you.

Attitudes about man’s volition, whether “Free Will” or determinism are not biblical doctrine, though both can be scripturally addressed under the Doctrine of God (What does the bible say about God’s decrees and control of the universe?). FWIW, free will in a theological context is typically tied to Arminianism, which is more often identified with mainstream liberal theology. Free will and Arminianism each have Wiki pages, so anyone is free to read for themselves, misread it, distort it, get a doctorate in it… whatever.

Some personal responses to posted comments made about free will and salvation:

>No one is outside of God’s control, including Satan.
>When I came to Christ, there was no willful decision on my part. I could sense a pursuit of sorts… I was repentant and saw myself as spiritually poor/broken/bankrupt/needy…and it was long and painful, while I miserably resisted the threat of losing my idols (reputation, outdoor passions, relationships, material stuff, attention seeking). I was horrified by the idea of being made new. When I came to Christ it was a surrender.
>Faith in Christ is never anyone's decision, it is a gift from God that is inescapable for those he pursues.
>No one deserves faith (I didn’t/don't), and no one can do anything to earn faith. See Ephesians 2, verses 8-10.

Here’s a snapshot of verses that packs in most things you’ve commented on:

By Grace Through Faith

Ephesians 2:1-10

1 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins 2 in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— 3 among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. 4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Praying this is helpful!

street

WKR
My gratitude becomes almost uncontrollable. I enjoy being alone during that moment and always think about my father in law who isn't with us anymore but would give anything to be with me.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Always thank the man upstairs before, during, and after the harvest. After all its one of his creations we are going after and he said he put them on this earth for us.

Genesis 9:3
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

Genesis 27:3
Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I can get sentimental when I lay hands on them. I think that’s natural. The older I get the more respect I hold for these animals. There is a sadness to ending their life. It also makes me reflect on my own life and death when I make contact with them. Sometimes I will say something to them.

I appreciate the opportunity to hunt because I haven’t always been able to do it. Laying hands on an animal makes it real. It makes me thankful for them, for our way of life, and to the universe. It’s deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdk99

FNG
The apostle Paul tells us in Romans 1 that we worship the Creator or the creature/created things. Who or what we worship is mutually incompatible, no way around it.
[Edit for clarification: The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the same/one eternal being. Mankind and angels/demons/Satan + the universe and everything in it were created by and through Christ - see Colossians 1:16.]

OP
Thanks for prompting the idea of giving thanks. You asked, and to avoid any confusion about who is who and what is what, here's a description of the eternal creator worthy of all my praise and thanks.

Colossians 1:15-20
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
Amen!

Humility is always in style and I think being generally grateful and appreciative in life are good traits (and habits) to exercise.

There was a lot of ground covered and committed thoughts in these posts. After reading and contemplating them I think my main thought is that I’m surprised after 5 pages of posts no one said “I give thanks when the pack out is only a half mile downhill”...🤔

This thread is probably one of the more interesting threads I’ve seen in a while. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s take on the subject.