The 4 Trip Public Land Whitetail

0.6 miles into a 1 mile hike to a public spot, this guy popped out behind me where I was just walking a few seconds ago. I stopped to mark a scrape on OnX. The wind was in my favor and a steady 10-15 mph so he never heard or smelled me until he got to the spot I had just stopped to take a drink. I couldn’t pass him up. He crashed on private property so I had to walk back out to knock on the door because they didn’t answer the phone. Once I got permission, I walked back sans rifle because I assumed 45 minutes after a 308 shot and crash that there is no way he was alive. Well, I was wrong…shot was a bit too high…so out and back again with the rifle.

Quartered him and loaded everything (total load weighed later on bathroom scale at 98#) and I was headed back to compete my third trip…well I made it a quarter mile before the shoulders couldn’t take it anymore (should have brought my EXO 3500 and not the ILBE). So I split the load and made two trips. So what is that…4…4.5 trips?

I need to play around more with carrying my climber with the Exo or my KUIU 3600. Can’t do that again with the ILBE, especially since I have spots even further back. Might need to make some of my own straps to extend what they come with. D3C8BB8C-897E-4564-93AC-D04EFD009FC0.jpeg982C3BEB-F07B-4562-AE56-AC854BF3EEE9.jpegC1BF5808-DE6C-4171-8AED-AC65530F39CE.jpeg

Rich M

WKR
Nice buck - what a hoot about that fridge! Gonna be a bloody mess - get some Clorox wipes and vinegar for cleaning it.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
That's freaking awesome. Congrats on the deer too. I use my EXO frame to haul a lock on stand and sticks. works great. I would recommend that.

This is awesome! Congrats. What part of the country are you from?

I have been day dreaming all summer and fall of a story coming together for me like this here in NY I’m the Adirondacks! Still a bit of hunting season left so I’m still hopeful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
This is awesome! Congrats. What part of the country are you from?

I have been day dreaming all summer and fall of a story coming together for me like this here in NY I’m the Adirondacks! Still a bit of hunting season left so I’m still hopeful!

Missouri. Just got to get out and do it. I’ve been hunting public for 3 years. Have got a deer every year…this was first decent buck.

Missouri. Just got to get out and do it. I’ve been hunting public for 3 years. Have got a deer every year…this was first decent buck.

Oh I’ve been hunting public land for quite some time. Shot a buck last year. After that I decided I’d pack them out. My days if dragging them is over.