The Current state of Elk Hunting

mtmuley

WKR
tell us what a "dink" is ….. THAT is one BIG reason why elk hunting has become so expensive, it's the "I want a 400 bull" crap just like with so many other factions of today's "society", it's all about the BIG stuff whether it's a bull elk, a salary, a college, houses, cars/trucks and so it goes on and on and on - In one form or another it's all about GREED
I've killed many bulls in my lifetime, no boone & crockett "trophies" BUT not one single elk, not even a spike would I call a "dink" OR a "raghorn" ….
Got off track and was talking about all the young deer that hit the dirt here in Montana. As far as raghorns, pretty common description of a young bull. mtmuley

No one said ‘herd management’ wasn’t part of the current state of elk hunting
I'm pretty sure I read complaints "somewhere" re: "bull only tags", etc … ? it's all part of the same game
Some states do it better than others and then other states are blessed or cursed, however one chooses to look at it
Then there is the fact that many will try or are trying to make money off that as well ...

I have a pretty large circle of lifelong elk hunters, ranchers and farmers, and just plain old "folks" - in the past 5 or so years I could not possibly tell you how many times I've heard "now is the good old days where elk are concerned" - The HUMAN factor is the largest "good news, bad news" where hunting is concerned from ALL aspects, it's a daily occurrence ..... nothing will change for the better without dedication and activism

Got off track and was talking about all the young deer that hit the dirt here in Montana. As far as raghorns, pretty common description of a young bull. mtmuley

Yes, that "getting off track" is a personal problem of mine nearly daily ….

Granted, "raghorn" very often means a young bull but not always, nature is "perfect" in her own way …. I was meaning that it riles me to hear anyone demean a punched bull tag that way, we do hear it a lot, more now days than 20 years ago by far
in 68 years the only "guides" I've ever paid for were for 3 moose trips, 2 mandatory - at the time that I was "learning" to hunt elk it was frustrating but looking back at that learning curve it was some of my best times hunting, ever

it seems like nowadays most people don't know or remember what "don't miss the forest for the trees" means, it's all about consumption and bragging on social media

I've had hunting partners say "you won't kill a big one until you learn to let the little ones get away" ….. I like to eat elk nearly as much as I love to hunt them, it's been an ongoing problem for me …...

Oregon

WKR
I think elk is so popular due to the Youtube vids and social media....

Everything is more popular due to YouTube/social media. Duck hunting, skydiving, hiking, mountain biking, etc etc
Or do they appear more popular because we are bombarded by images of all things fun non stop.
I would assume you would know best in your area.
To me, all my activities were as crowded in the 80’s as they are today. Fewer tags mean longer wait for draws is my states problem.
I don’t archery hunt, but the guys who I know that OTC elk swear the woods are now a zoo everywhere.

I don’t know, but the days of eagerly awaiting my Outdoor Life, Field & Stream and Sports Afield once a month to get my outdoor fix are long gone!

Do it because I can. Did the whitetail thing obsessively for years, just really like the elk thing. To me, it's all bigger and better than whitetail.

I've made it a new hobby - vacations have turned into scouting trips, shed hunting trips, and cameras.

I'll go OTC every year. I'm sure there are places that are OTC, have great elk hunting, and nobody bothering them. I have no complaints regarding finding elk there, just seems like every time I do I'm finding plenty of other people as well. Everyone I see in the woods says the same thing. Seems like it really blew up the last few years, with last year being exceptionally crowded. I expect the coming year even more so, and so on.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I think all the years of western hunters telling whitetail hunters that sitting in a stand over feed isn’t hunting has also added to the popularity of elk hunting.

I grew up whitetail hunting Texas. As a kid I spent most of my waking moments thinking about deer hunting. As I got older and began to travel I was continually told by western hunters that I wasn’t really a hunter and I wouldn’t be successful without a feeder. I decided to prove them wrong and headed west. I feel in love with mountain hunting and haven’t looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
I think there are a lot of things that are driving the popularity. There is a lot more information and it gives people the confidence to do new things, which I think is great. Life is too short not to get out there and have some adventures.

Also, my elk hunt has become mandatory for another very important reason. My work phone rings non-stop. (I got a work call at 0600 on Mother’s Day, this am). When I’m in elk country my phone doesn’t work. That is important for everyone. People need boundaries and people need to be unavailable in this world of the electronic leash.

There is also a lot more education in every type of hunting. I have changed the way I approach my whitetale properties due to things I have learned about hunting them. So I try to hunt smart as opposed to hard. This reduces time spent in the stand. I think more people are hunting “smarter” and not hammering their deer spots. People want to hunt and public land OTC elk is the answer, because whitetale hunting leases are outrageous right now.

I think the enconmy also plays a factor, like others have said.

it isn't a "fixable" problem as I see it - with a certain % of people doing ANYTHING, higher population means higher %'s doing the things others like to and already do - the unique thing about "hunting" is as we build more subdivisions, enlarge cities, build golf courses, as environment and greed intertwine with our everyday lives the planet simply becomes smaller

Let's just say, for ease of calculations, Oregon has a total elk population of 100,000 and let's say there are 10 bulls per 100 cows - Now let's add 50% to the general population and decipher how many in that 50% alone are or will be hunters, then take away how much habitat that same 50% increase is removed - Oregon is also a great example of how growing affluence has also taken habitat out of the reach of the general hunting population - 10,000 bulls suddenly doesn't sound like so many, now factor in ODFW decisions on how to manage these herds and "hunter opportunity" alone without all the other stuff …..

Save your money folks, it's gonna get a lot more expensive for solitude and outdoor pursuits THEN, factor hunting into it …...

Swede

WKR
Here are some of the changes to elk hunting I have seen over the years.
It use to be that elk hunting was done almost exclusively in late October and November. The few people that had trucks that could be used for accessing elk country were 90% or more two wheel drive vehicles. There were not as many roads and they were not so good either. You carried chains and a high-lift jack, and a shovel when you went elk hunting. You had to be prepared to move out of the mountains if a storm moved in.
#2 the industry archery, and elk hunting has really made elk hunting itself easier and more glamorous. We love the new and improved everything. Buy this and buy that and get yourself an elk and be a great hunter.
#3 With better everything, it is easy and more fun now.
#4 We promote elk hunting here. Elk hunting is promoted in many places in different ways. We rave about our latest hunt.
Beendare mentioned a Mt Emily tag sold for $13,000. Why? What makes an elk tag worth $1,000?

Don't get me wrong. I am all for helping hunters and have no complaint that people get out and want to enjoy the same type of things that caused me to become a hunter in the 1950s. But things have changed a lot since then.

Here are some of the changes to elk hunting I have seen over the years.
It use to be that elk hunting was done almost exclusively in late October and November. The few people that had trucks that could be used for accessing elk country were 90% or more two wheel drive vehicles. There were not as many roads and they were not so good either. You carried chains and a high-lift jack, and a shovel when you went elk hunting. You had to be prepared to move out of the mountains if a storm moved in.
#2 the industry archery, and elk hunting has really made elk hunting itself easier and more glamorous. We love the new and improved everything. Buy this and buy that and get yourself an elk and be a great hunter.
#3 With better everything, it is easy and more fun now.
#4 We promote elk hunting here. Elk hunting is promoted in many places in different ways. We rave about our latest hunt.
Beendare mentioned a Mt Emily tag sold for $13,000. Why? What makes an elk tag worth $1,000?

Don't get me wrong. I am all for helping hunters and have no complaint that people get out and want to enjoy the same type of things that caused me to become a hunter in the 1950s. But things have changed a lot since then.

"what makes an elk tag worth $1000" ?? EGO mostly (but not totally, there are actually hunters, ones who can afford to, that pay these high prices for tags auctioned off by community organizations like "Wallowa County Resources" that do alot of good with the funds and the buyers know that)

that said Swede, you are correct that "hunting" is very different than it was in the 50's and 60's, HECK even the 70's !

I guess I'm one of the reasons the tags are getting harder and harder to come by, sorry. Growing up in the southeast, never really considering elk hunting much of a possibility it has only been in the past 5 years that I've become financially stable enough to consider packing the truck and hauling camp out west for an elk adventure.

Like others have already said the plethora of online information on tags, locations, scouting, and harvest data has made it possible for the guys who only just dreamed about it to make it a real possibility.