The elk shoulder that stopped a 308

And not pristine muscle around the bullet with no damage or bruising
I was referring more to a wound from previous years. I’ve found both bullets and broadheads and they’ve always been surrounded by a heavy casing of scar tissue. Sometimes an abscess, sometimes healthy tissue. But yes, same year there would definitely be bruising.

grfox92

WKR
sigh... I had been avoiding posting in this thread but I'll throw this out there:

Has anyone considered that the bullet found in question wasn't even from the shooter, but a past wound? I hadn't watched the video until now, and they say it didn't even bleed.

Otherwise its just made up for views, and has succeeded at that...
This certainly crossed my mind.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
This certainly crossed my mind.
I was referring more to a wound from previous years. I’ve found both bullets and broadheads and they’ve always been surrounded by a heavy casing of scar tissue. Sometimes an abscess, sometimes healthy tissue. But yes, same year there would definitely be bruising.
I've broken down a bull that my dad shot quite a few years back (had a collar was aged at 13 1/2 yrs old when he shot it)

We found somewhere between 6 & 9 different bullets in that animal. Several had a very small amount of scar tissue around them and very limited expansion and penetration.

With the age of that particular bull, which had spent its 13+ years running around north Idaho national forest, it clearly had more than one pot shot taken at it from well over lethal range.

So from a devil's advocate side of things, I could see an old wound looking similar.

To be clear, taking a step back and look at the (lack of) evidence, it simply appears to be a click bait video.

I've broken down a bull that my dad shot quite a few years back (had a collar was aged at 13 1/2 yrs old when he shot it)

We found somewhere between 6 & 9 different bullets in that animal. Several had a very small amount of scar tissue around them and very limited expansion and penetration.

With the age of that particular bull, which had spent its 13+ years running around north Idaho national forest, it clearly had more than one pot shot taken at it from well over lethal range.

So from a devil's advocate side of things, I could see an old wound looking similar.

To be clear, taking a step back and look at the (lack of) evidence, it simply appears to be a click bait video.
If that were the case, what are the odds that the bullet ended up being another terminal ascent? It would be a very long shot (no pun intended)

I wouldn’t say that it’s a very popular bullet (though I think it’s a great projectile for close range)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If that were the case, what are the odds that the bullet ended up being another terminal ascent? It would be a very long shot (no pun intended)

I wouldn’t say that it’s a very popular bullet (though I think it’s a great projectile for close range)
I'm not even sure what is in the picture is a terminal ascent. The picture is not good, and I don't have a terminal ascent in hand, but I'm pretty sure the terminal ascent is a boat tail and the object in the puncture looks to have a flat base.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
At about 12:30 host of show recounts experience and provides photo evidence of a cow elk shoulder that stopped a terminal ascent bullet at 350 yards from a 308 win. Rifle appears to be a tikka. A few more experiences recounted including issues with ELDX.

I had a similar experience out of a 6.5 143 eldx this year at same range on a bull, but did not take photo. For clarity, I still will and would hunt elk with a 6.5 or .308. Just sharing!

Seen it first hand as well with ELDM bullet on a bull elk and was told I was crazy by the same individuals trying to discredit you. To me it's not a caliber issue it's a ammunition issue.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Pictures?
Been covered in another thread but I dont have pictures of it I haven't even carried a phone with me hunting till this last year. I am not going to say I think this is a normal thing as I've only seen it once but I am obviously not alone in seeing it and as such it does seem to happen is it something that I think is going to change peoples minds on caliber or bullet design no but I do believe it is something to take note of.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Pictures?
What I will also say is I think the picture of the original YouTube is an older round from someone else there was bloodshot and muscle damage in the case I seen not a clean shoulder with just a bullet sitting there. But as for seeing bullet failures or however you want to word it especially from factory ammo I dont think it is absurd to say it happens could be a weak charge or primer possibly that caused diminished velocities my only point is to say this sort of thing never happens ever and to discredit any and all events of it is kinda like saying polititions are all honest because the news says so. "I dont have television so I dont know what is actually said but you get my point."

mt100gr.

WKR
Seen it first hand as well with ELDM bullet on a bull elk and was told I was crazy by the same individuals trying to discredit you. To me it's not a caliber issue it's a ammunition issue.
You saw a centerfire rifle bullet just stick into a shoulder muscle and stop? No trauma?

What do you suspect the ammunition issue to be?

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
Read further wasnt referring to the YouTube video and answered said questions in following posts.
You saw a centerfire rifle bullet just stick into a shoulder muscle and stop? No trauma?

What do you suspect the ammunition issue to be?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
And not pristine muscle around the bullet with no damage or bruising
On second thought, it goes beyond that. Note that there is no facia (silver skin) over the muscle where the bullet is. The only way for that to be removed on a fresh kill is with shoddy knife work,** so they are saying he carefully slid a knife around the precariously half in bullet to cut of facia while leaving it in other places on the same shoulder.

** Everyone who hunts the back country should be removing skin with blunt dissection and/or carefully cutting to leave the facia intact and protect the muscle from bacterial contamination.