The Frontal Shot!

Would you take a frontal shot inside 20 yards?

• YES

Votes: 94 89.5%
  • NO

Votes: 11 10.5%

• Total voters
Shooting up the leg is the better shot but not what we are taught or where the 12 ring is on 3 d targets.[/QUOTE]

Justin,

Can you describe an "up the leg shot"? Not familiar with the term.[/QUOTE]

Craig4791 hit the nail on the head. We are taught to shoot behind the shoulder when infact aiming just for that you only get lungs. Aiming up the leg equals a heart shot and more margin for error.

Just to stir the pot though...now that I think about it. What happens if you are a little off center and ONLY get one lung? I shoot 2 inch wide broadheads and I am very confident in their blood letting ability. But just say you DID only get one lung... Elk can, and will, go a very long way with one lung.

In my experience. It would be hard for the arrow to hit just a lung. You got to think about all the stuff behind it. And arrow shot in from the front going toward the back takes out other organs, guts, etc and creates all sorts of carnage. Ive taken frontal shots and had the arrow exit out the rear end of the animal. So you can imagine all the organs that the arrow affects along the way.

The main thing Ive noticed with frontal shot it massive blood loss due to all the veins and arteries in the neck. In my experience the blood trail is massive and short! They bleed out quick!

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
Just to stir the pot though...now that I think about it. What happens if you are a little off center and ONLY get one lung? I shoot 2 inch wide broadheads and I am very confident in their blood letting ability. But just say you DID only get one lung... Elk can, and will, go a very long way with one lung.

A two inch broadhead isn't going to help you get both lungs on a frontal shot. You hit them dead center you likely won't get any lung. Their mediastinum, sack that the heart is in, is wider than two inches. You'll get a lung and the heart, or just the heart.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I voted no just because I would rather wait for the animal to turn broadside. My cousin explained this concisely to his young son this year during our deer season. The kid asks dad, "why not take the frontal shot", dad says " wait for him to turn broadside". Kid says, "what if he doesnt turn broadside?" Dad says. "he has to or he'll run you over!"

That's the truth, that animal has to turn. Why not wait for the "clean" shot?

I'm also one of the weirdos that wouldnt shoot at an animal over 40 yards away. Maybe some of my ideas come from learning to bowhunt in the 80's with used equipment. With today's high speed equipment maybe I just need to let go of my old ideals, embrace the technology, and re-evaluate my limits. On second thought I will take the frontal shot. And now I'm going to go home and put a 100 yard pin on my bow.....

I voted no just because I would rather wait for the animal to turn broadside. My cousin explained this concisely to his young son this year during our deer season. The kid asks dad, "why not take the frontal shot", dad says " wait for him to turn broadside". Kid says, "what if he doesnt turn broadside?" Dad says. "he has to or he'll run you over!"

That's the truth, that animal has to turn. Why not wait for the "clean" shot?

I'm also one of the weirdos that wouldnt shoot at an animal over 40 yards away. Maybe some of my ideas come from learning to bowhunt in the 80's with used equipment. With today's high speed equipment maybe I just need to let go of my old ideals, embrace the technology, and re-evaluate my limits. On second thought I will take the frontal shot. And now I'm going to go home and put a 100 yard pin on my bow.....

In my opinion your cousin is just mis informed. We are taught from a young age broadside broadside broadside. No other shot is good! When in fact a quartering away shot or a frontal shot can be way more effective than a broadside shot in my opinion. In my bowhunting career so far I've lost two animals. A pronghorn and an elk. Both were broadside shots. I have 100% success on quartering away and frontal shots on critters.

As far as shooting no more than 40 yards on animals! Your not weird! I give you props! That's what bowhunting is all about...being close! I like to practice at long ranges but like you i prefer to limit myself to close shots on animals!!

I would take the shot. However a good friend of mine lost a 380+ bull in Oregon two years back. He buried his arrow full frontal up to the fletchings at 18 yards. Never found the bull and he said the blood trail was like Justin mentioned, buckets of blood! Looked for over a week for that bull and never found him.

One thing to keep in mind, and I believe I'm accurate here, is that a full mature bull elk has around 9 GALLONS of blood in his body... I could make a hell of a blood trail with just 1 gallon of blood but that's just over 10% of their blood supply.

noroads

FNG
Yes I would take shot if presented with the opportunity. As others have mentioned, know yourself, limitations and your game. If your not comfortable with it then don't take take it. I haven't personally shot a Elk with a frontal shot but I was standing right next to my friend when he killed a 5x5 with a forward quartering shot in front of the shoulder and broke the opposite shoulder. The bull literally died within 10 seconds and ran less than 100yrds.

So yes, It is a very effective when placed right.

vcb

WKR
I have never been presented with that shot yet but would take it with no hesitation 30yds or less. For you guys that have killed elk with the frontal....I have heard the bottom of the beard is a good aiming point?

jmez

WKR
One thing to keep in mind, and I believe I'm accurate here, is that a full mature bull elk has around 9 GALLONS of blood in his body... I could make a hell of a blood trail with just 1 gallon of blood but that's just over 10% of their blood supply.

That is correct and they need to lose 40% before they die.

ktowncamo

WKR
I have never been presented with that shot yet but would take it with no hesitation 30yds or less. For you guys that have killed elk with the frontal....I have heard the bottom of the beard is a good aiming point?
Check out that link that Craig4791 posted as well as the photos. A couple of elk images, showing the bottom of the beard.

I too haven't had a frontal shot presented but would consider it with a little more preparation (points Aron outlines in his article). The 4 elk I've killed have all been pure broadside or quartering away and fortunately all of the recoveries have been less than 60 yards, 2 of them I watched tip over inside 40. Fortunate indeed.

Geez it must have stayed inside the cavity of the bulls I've killed. I bet I haven't found a cup of blood between the three.

I assume that if only hitting an artery or something that the 40% rule is accurate. Hitting lungs or other vitals then the 40% number goes out the window.

Mike

jmez

WKR
If you are getting a massive blood trail on a frontal shot then you are a little off center and hit the carotid artery. It is the only major artery in the neck region. One on each side running right down the side of then neck just under the jugular vein. Jugular vein will bleed a lot but usually won't result in death if that is all you hit.

As far as aiming. Aim right where the neck meets the chest.

Yes the 40% rule is for bleeding out or bleeding only. You poke a hole in the lungs they don't bleed to death, they suffocate.