The Gohunt Effect

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
As draw results begin to trickle in, it occurred to me that in other industries when a company or product is promoted there is a surge in interest for that product. (such as a GMA) Have any of you noticed a change in draw odds when a particular unit is promoted to be easier to draw blows up due to draw platforms? Do you adjust your draw strategy to less popular areas based on what units the popular media platforms are promoting? Just curious as other products like OnX are playing the game now as well. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Yes, but not to where I’ve seen a unit with better draw odds become impossible. But I’ve seen where tough units got more tough. Although one unit we used to hunt got way harder to draw and now is softening a bit. So i think it still can’t work both ways. People’s needs change therefore odds will fluctuate a bit.

What I’m personally more upset about is not having options to draw things anymore as a second choice. Either because it’s simply not an option anymore or the odds just are tougher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Donno, but this whole situation seems ripe to be a self-licking ice cream cone. “Apply and draw here!” (Majority of users do that, blow it up)

Next year “apply and draw here!” (Different area, last years area is now “defunct”)

Repeat indefinitely.

I don’t have GoHunt anymore, I generally can find all the information I need from state websites, it just takes a bit longer.

But when I had it, I stayed away from the OTC/general units they touted. Did it matter? Who knows, but I found success elsewhere regardless.

I’ve also hunted units that they claimed had “a lot of pressure” and still found success as well, so take that into consideration too.

Anymore, I pick an area that has the sort of terrain I like to hunt, that has a good population of elk, hunt hard and forget about the rest.

Last edited:

Jethro

WKR
Have we noticed? Is that a serious question or does it contain a smattering of sarcasm?

Of course we’ve noticed. Discussed and debated almost daily. Not a new phenomenon. There are guys here that have been in the game long enough to tell stories of units blown up when information was made public by printing it in things called magazines.

OP
lyingflatlander

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you Jethro, 20 years in the game here. Not an argument but There’s more players in this expensive western hunting game then 10 years ago. The convenience and ease of online platforms reach a greater audience then reading Eastmans Green chip areas. My question isn’t a trigger for folks to complain about their places “blowing up”, but rather using media as an advantage to apply to other areas that these entities recommend. Respectfully- lyingflatlander.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ve never had or used go hunt. Never paid attention to it. General trend has been fewer tags, more applicants, harder to draw a tag.
This ^ I have seen in the last 5 years units creep a whole point or points and tags that were reliable 3/4th choice tags vanish before the second draw was up. Found internet threads of out of staters asking about these units which are really tough to hunt if you live in them and have access to private let alone traveling thousands of miles for a marginal tag?!

Where does it end up? It’s not good for resident hunters, it’s not good for the game. Something will eventually have to give. Lots of big operations and smaller influencers trying to cut off a big juicy piece of that western hunting pie which is ever shrinking

“ now please follow and smash that like button at the bottom for me, be sure to be looking out for my sleeper units video that comes out next week”

Just like the dude crying in the NM thread about people posting hunt codes they did or didnt draw. There are no surprise units any where and there hasn't been for decades.

its not rocket science, the easiest sheep tag to draw is always the hardest and lowest success hunt. Elk and Mulie deer are the same.

If you want to pay for pre organized data, so be it, Eastman’s been posting it for decades. Boone and Crockett and P&Y have been doing it for even longer.

Yeah I remember when Huntin Fool and Eastman's where the way to go to easily look up odds. You can see it all across the west though. Even in units that weren't touted as the latest sleeper unit. There are units in New Mexico where you had a decent shot that are a longshot now. Same with Wyoming and Colorado. After covid things have gotten even worse. I selfishly hope some of the newer crowds lose interest.

I think one thing hunters have to take accountability for is how many of us put in for multiple states now. When I was a kid my dad or grandpa would plan a hunt and go on a single hunt to the Rockies every other year or so, not elk in four states like you hear from some fellas.

CorbLand

WKR
Never understood why people pay for subscriptions when everything you need to know is free and easily accessible.
I mean...its 150 bucks a year to have the odds and ability to filter based on your wants. Plus you get maps. Most people are paying 80-100 bucks a year for Onx anyways...so 50-70 bucks a year for the other perks...not really a bad deal.

I dont subscribe to it but its not a horrible deal when you break it down. Especially for those that are or trying to hunt multiple states. It would take one way longer to research all the information it provides for 5 states than just working a few extra hours over a year to pay for it.

KHNC

WKR
Just like the dude crying in the NM thread about people posting hunt codes they did or didnt draw. There are no surprise units any where and there hasn't been for decades.

its not rocket science, the easiest sheep tag to draw is always the hardest and lowest success hunt. Elk and Mulie deer are the same.

If you want to pay for pre organized data, so be it, Eastman’s been posting it for decades. Boone and Crockett and P&Y have been doing it for even longer.
So what is your favorite elk unit and what state?