The Hunters Orange Epidemic

Poser

WKR
Definitely would wear orange when I used to rabbit hunting in the Southeast even though I didn’t have to. Other situations, I could take it or leave it. In the age of the long range shooting Bros, it’s probably wise though.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
I found this reference on the CDC website to a review done by the State of NY. After reading it, I came away with the impression that wearing hunter orange helps. It is interesting that NY doesn't require hunter orange but they have invested in education about its benefits. As a result of that education, hunter safety has increased. Here is a link to the article as well as a quote that I thought was interesting. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00044112.htm

"In 1992, DEC initiated a campaign in New York to promote basic firearms safety and the use of hunter orange clothing through hunter education courses, meetings with hunter organizations, and advertisements in hunting literature. During 1992-1995, following the initiation of this safety promotion campaign, the average annual injury rate decreased 27% compared with the rate during 1988-1991.

The routine wearing of hunter orange clothing can increase visibility of hunters, especially if worn in combinations that display orange in all directions. Efforts to increase the use of hunter orange also should include education of experienced hunters to wear hunter orange and, for turkey hunters who do not wear hunter orange, to display hunter orange near their calling location."

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I understand that sometimes rules don't make sense to some of us. BUT...rules aren't for people with common sense. If everyone was blessed with common sense then we wouldn't have any rules or laws. Fact is most hunters don't have any sense at all. As much as it hurts me to say it a majority of hunters out there are giving us a bad reputation and sadly its warranted.

Hunter's wearing highly visible colors can be utilized for a lot more than just not getting shot. I've been able to see hunters on animals from long distances which saved me hours of hiking after game that's already being hunted. I've spotted hunters moving and was able to put myself in a good position where I thought they might push game too. It really helps when your hunting with a patner so as you aren't stepping on each others toes. I've stalked in on animals several times in archery season just to find another guy doing the same and I wasted my entire day.

IdahoElk

WKR
This thread brings back fond memories of growing up in New Jersey and being head to toe orange and having Shotgun slugs landing in the leaves around me on opening day. Not wearing orange in some states is like assisted suicide, Fast forward to 30yrs in Idaho and wearing orange doesn't even occur to me,maybe this is more of a region thing?

Shrek

WKR
Hunter orange is to make the wardens job easier. If we’re about safety the warden who was creeping through the woods and checked me two weeks ago would be wearing orange. I’m against mandatory orange requirements.
I also truly hate people who feel then need to worry about what others are doing when it doesn’t effect them in the least. Absolute SBMF.

Last edited:
It’s apparent many have not deer hunter in some of the places east of the Mississippi where opening day is an absolute zoo. In WI I wouldn’t be in the woods without orange on. Too many people. In the woods and brushy areas you could easily shoot towards a person and never know it if they were not in orange. I have seen hunters only a few hundred yards away due to the orange. Had they been in camo I would have never known they were sitting there. Throw in deer drives in thick cover and you better have orange on. The orange isn’t necessarily to keep people from thinking you are a deer. Without it you just wouldn’t be seen.

Now out west it’s completely different. I don’t feel the need to wear orange out here but if it’s the rule I follow the rule.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Seems that 9 states for the most part don't require orange when firearm hunting. States for the most part that don't are rather large or sparsely populated. There is good research that shows with the advent of hunter Ed and blaze orange hunting has become much safer. Leading cause of hunter related accidents now is falling out of a tree.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Hunter orange is to make the wardens job easier. If we’re about safety the warden who was creeping through the woods and checked me two weeks ago would be wearing orange. I’m against mandatory orange requirements.
I also truly hate people who feel then need to worry about what others are doing when it doesn’t effect them in the least. Absolute SBMF.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings for thinking it is too much to ask for people to abide by the law. Hunters already get a bad wrap from outsiders, so when someone isnt abiding by by set regulations it makes us all look bad. Therefore, as a hunter, it affects us all.

sndmn11

WKR
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings for thinking it is too much to ask for people to abide by the law. Hunters already get a bad wrap from outsiders, so when someone isnt abiding by by set regulations it makes us all look bad. Therefore, as a hunter, it affects us all.

Were they both shooters?

Some of you need to hear a deer slug whizz through and break limbs around you then rethink your status on being against wearing hunter orange lol .

I am genuinely curious if you have had slugs fly by you while wearing orange?

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
Were they both shooters?

No, they were not, Only one was hunting and carrying a rifle. It doesnt matter if both were hunting or not, in MT you have to wear 400" of orange whether hunting or not.

ChrisAU

WKR
My biggest want to wear it during a rifle season is crossfire. If I'm one on side of a park/field and a target animal is in the middle, I want anyone on the other side from me to know I'm there, and I want to know if they are there before I shoot.

sndmn11

WKR
No, they were not, Only one was hunting and carrying a rifle. It doesnt matter if both were hunting or not, in MT you have to wear 400" of orange whether hunting or not.

It seems like it matters. Was the other person an outfitter or guide?

87-6-414. Failure to wear hunter orange while big game hunting. (1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person may not hunt any big game animals in this state or accompany any hunter as an outfitter or guide under any of the provisions of the laws of this state without wearing as exterior garments above the waist a total of not less than 400 square inches of hunter orange material visible at all times while hunting.

isu22andy

WKR
Were they both shooters?

I am genuinely curious if you have had slugs fly by you while wearing orange?

Not once but twice. The first I saw it coming , I was posted in terrace in a field doing a deer drive, deer runs away from the driver, driver doesnt shoot, it runs to a poster 600 yards away, poster shoots, the deer turns does a 180 and runs directly between me and the driver , I see the drivers gun go up, I hit the dirt behind the terrace and heard the slugs whistle by . Was actually with my dad 2 guys in blaze orange no less.

2nd time, I tell a friend to sit in valley over the hill, he doesnt listen and sits on top of the hill. Im in the ditch thick ditch below him , see a few bucks go by but nothing great, they are on the outside of the ditch all the sudden I hear a whizzzzz and tree limbs break and then I hear the bang . I ran out screaming profanities and gave him a good ass chewing .

Some of you need to hear a deer slug whizz through and break limbs around you then rethink your status on being against wearing hunter orange lol .

I'm not against it, I'm against the requirement.
I'm an adult I can make the choice. And if I hear a slug wiz by my head and I get scared it would be my choice to don it. But I've been shot at before it's not that big a deal.
And I also dont want other hunters using my pressure for there benefit. That bs go find your own game.
I also dont need you glassing me on the perfect spot I put the work in to find then trying to beat me there the next day.