The Hunters Orange Epidemic

Not once but twice. The first I saw it coming , I was posted in terrace in a field doing a deer drive, deer runs away from the driver, driver doesnt shoot, it runs to a poster 600 yards away, poster shoots, the deer turns does a 180 and runs directly between me and the driver , I see the drivers gun go up, I hit the dirt behind the terrace and heard the slugs whistle by . Was actually with my dad 2 guys in blaze orange no less.

2nd time, I tell a friend to sit in valley over the hill, he doesnt listen and sits on top of the hill. Im in the ditch thick ditch below him , see a few bucks go by but nothing great, they are on the outside of the ditch all the sudden I hear a whizzzzz and tree limbs break and then I hear the bang . I ran out screaming profanities and gave him a good ass chewing .

That's deer drives. Not western hunting in vast expanses.

NoWiser

WKR
Another reason to wear orange is if you are hunting from a tree during squirrel season.

No kidding! I almost got shot while in a tree by a squirrel hunter on the ground AFTER I made eye contact with and waved at him! Bullet whizzed right by me and hit the squirrel in the tree next to me.

Hunter Orange is common sense. Not sure why some are so against it. If it saves even 1 life per year, I’ll gladly deal with the “hassle” of taking 20 seconds to throw on an orange hat and vest. It really isn’t a big deal. I’m not fashion conscious, especially while hunting.

No kidding! I almost got shot while in a tree by a squirrel hunter on the ground AFTER I made eye contact with and waved at him! Bullet whizzed right by me and hit the squirrel in the tree next to me.

Hunter Orange is common sense. Not sure why some are so against it. If it saves even 1 life per year, I’ll gladly deal with the “hassle” of taking 20 seconds to throw on an orange hat and vest. It really isn’t a big deal. I’m not fashion conscious, especially while hunting.

If we banned everything that saved 1 person a yr this country would be in trouble.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR

Finally, someone with some sense!

I understand, but a 170 inch muley rack and cape on a backpack with no orange on would sure make me nervous .

But again that the hunters choice.
Just like it your choice to carry a 10x10 orange blanket if you want.
Just because it worries the crap out of you shouldn't mean the rest of us should be required.

If I wanna risk getting shot that me choice.

OP
ewade07

ewade07

WKR
But again that the hunters choice.
Just like it your choice to carry a 10x10 orange blanket if you want.
Just because it worries the crap out of you shouldn't mean the rest of us should be required.

If I wanna risk getting shot that me choice.
What about the fact that the law requires it? I get if you dont want to wear it if its not in your state regulations, but when it is required by law and people dont wear it it just pisses me off.

What about the fact that the law requires it? I get if you dont want to wear it if its not in your state regulations, but when it is required by law and people dont wear it it just pisses me off.

So turn them in, dont whine on the internet. What effect do you perceive that to have on more people abiding to the law.

Personally I'd rather have the warden spend his time on game violations aka poaching.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The more regulations they come up with the more problems we have. Let everyone be accountable and responsible for themselves and problem solved. If I want to go out hunting without orange, that should be MY choice and nobody else's. If I want to go for a day hike through the same area without hunting, I should be able to make the choice to not wear orange. Oh, wait a minute.......I can already do that. So this regulation doesn't do what it's supposed to do, because it doesn't cover everyone that may be out in the woods. So only when I'm carrying a gun and have a hunting license does this regulation protect me? Idiotic.

Boomer51

FNG
No. You're reading it wrong. Call a warden. It's pretty easy. I can accompany a hunter in MT without wearing orange as long as I'm not hunting, or acting as an outfitter or guide. A quick call to a warden can clear it up for you.

Jim

sndmn11

WKR
Refering to them as someone who is not actively hunting but is with the person who is hunting.

So why add that qualifier of "as an outfitter or guide" language? Why would it not just say "anyone accompanying the hunter"? I think that it is pretty clear in defining an outfitter/guide and hunter relationship because it is clarifying that to be under the provisions of other state laws, which I am guessing define a commercial entity and relationship.

I am not opposed to wearing orange at all and comply with the state regulations if they require it. My only beef is with the lack of thought that went in to some of these rules. For instance in Colorado, my son and I both drew a special permit black bear tag that coincided with archery elk, mule and black bear season in Colorado. As you know, archery hunters in the state of Colorado do not have to wear orange. However, all rifle hunters do. So both my son and I wore orange, yet every archery hunter in the unit ( which was likely 10-15:1 archers to rifle hunters) had camo on and no orange. To me, it should be all or nothing. The archer would be a lot more at risk to be shot by a rifle hunter than a rifle hunter would be being shot by an archer. However the state apparently doesn't see it this way. If I were an archery hunter hunting during a season that also coincided with a rifle season, I would definitely wear orange for my own safety.

I also like how you assume the person was being malicious. Instead of the benefit of doubt and thinking there I'll informed.
When you're hunting multiple states it hard to be right on top of everything. I know it's the responsibility and I try do my best.

But I honestly never thought in million year that it was a requirement in other states. Didn't know y'all need your hand held by big brother.