The Left Hand Mountain Rifle Struggle...

Not to derail the thread, but since Tikka’s are all long action, why opt for the WSM over WM? Not dogging on the WSM, it’s a great round, but I thought the main draw was the short action.

Honestly that's all I could find when I bought mine. I would have rather had a regular WM.

And as for bullet seating, that's not the case. The magazine limits the coal to 2.90". I've heard you can get customs mags but haven't looked into it because for whatever reason the nosler 180 gr accubonds love a jump out of my tikka.

OP
E

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I'm sold on the Tikka T3x SL. I was originally thinking 6.5 creedmoor, but the 7mm rem mag seems like a better choice for a do-it-all caliber.

Saving some money on the rifle, can also increase my scope budget. Are there any other reliable dialers other than the SWFA, in a fixed 6x zoom? The only one I could find is this S&B 6x42 PMII, which I'm sure is a nice scope, just pushing the budget.

https://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet...uids][0]=ff1c43a0-253c-0136-e5a5-00163e90e196

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider

I'm a lefty that's looking for a lightweight rifle too. I own Remy, Savage, Montana Rifle Co., Tikka T3X (which is pretty sweet), Ruger etc. in left but want a true mid/higher end lightweight, which is pretty hard to find unless you build custom.

In my search I looked at Fierce which I thought would be a pretty good option, especially looking at their new Carbon Fury at $2600. I called them and was told that they aren't offering it in left handed, and I would have to step up in their line which would be more like $3400+. Not a huge deal as I was thinking around this for a budget. When I asked about lead times they said "...at least 10 months out, probably more. It seems that lefty's scare the heck out us and don't get much attention around here". Not too confidence inspiring IMO. If I ordered now I wouldn't get it until after my planned hunts next year, so back to the drawing board.

Don't know too much about Nosler rifles (not a lot on the web review wise that I could find), and their lead times were about like Fierce anyway.

Most everything else I looked at was either not built standard in my preferred caliber, and/or was way outside my budget and time line.

Which led me to a custom build. I'm talking now to a local guy (there's actually several) who is quoting me a 28 Nosler, Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel, carbon fiber stock (probably AG), custom action (Gunwerks or Lone Peak), Timney trigger, Hawkins bottom metal, break and Cerakote for $3400-$4000 depending on choice of action.

And he will take 2-3 months to deliver. I discovered that one of the biggest delays in building a custom is getting a stock (particularly if you want carbon fiber) from the popular Manners or McMillan. Both are out in excess of 6 months. I'm looking at JCS, and AG (leaning this way) as they both look like good options where lead times are 2-3 weeks.

I'm sure if you look around you can find a local guy to do a build or PM me and I can give you more particulars...

wily

bhylton

WKR
I would skip the superlite and go with a reglar t3x hunter or t3xlite. the couple ounces is not worth the extra $ to me...

OP
E

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
The Fierce rifles look great, but the LH models are only available in the Fierce Edge, which is out of my range.

Thanks Wily, I was also looking custom for a bit, since AG Customs makes LH stocks, and most action mfgs. do too, but figured things would quickly surpass my price bracket.

The Tikka sounds like it'll tick most boxes for me, minus the plastic parts.

AG Customs said they plan to release Tikka stocks around July, and they'll have left hand models available.

I would skip the superlite and go with a reglar t3x hunter or t3xlite. the couple ounces is not worth the extra $ to me...

At least thru Sportsmans Warehouse, the t3x Superlite is cheaper than the t3x lite stainless and t3x hunter. The standard t3x lite with blued barrel isn't available in LH.

Last edited:

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
The Fierce rifles look great, but the LH models are only available in the Fierce Edge, which is out of my range.

Thanks Wily, I was also looking custom for a bit, since AG Customs makes LH stocks, and most action mfgs. do too, but figured things would quickly surpass my price bracket.

The Tikka sounds like it'll tick most boxes for me, minus the plastic parts.

AG Customs said they plan to release Tikka stocks around July, and they'll have left hand models available.

At least thru Sportsmans Warehouse, the t3x Superlite is cheaper than the t3x lite stainless and t3x hunter. The standard t3x lite with blued barrel isn't available in LH.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Tikka, even the stock which is nothing special but it's fine. And the accuracy is impressive. At least in my experience. I reload, but I bought factory Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor (143 ELD-X) just to go shoot and collect brass, but haven't worked a load up since I don't shoot that rifle much and the factory stuff is shooting sub MOA. Light weight, accurate, good trigger, smooth bolt - what's not to like. I'd buy another, I just want (sure don't need lol!) something more "custom" and in a caliber they don't offer.

Good luck with your new stick whatever you decide!

wily

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Couple lefty Tikkas, I painted one stock with a gray textured paint, I like it, and I bought a Boyd's thumbhole stock and just dropped it in on the other gun. Tikka stocks work good, just don't appeal to me.