the Nissan Titan?

boom

WKR
the recent truck discussion had me thinking.

i dont remember ever seeing a Nissan Titan out in the hunting woods. i see them occasionally here in town. not often.

the Titan appears to have two sizes. big and really big. the smaller truck looks okay. aesthetically okay looking. not great - not ugly. medium.

anyone here actually have one? is the truck model gaining any traction in the truck competition? i'm tempted to peek at one at the dealership, for kicks.

SoDaky

WKR
I have one.2 years now.Great ride.100k/5 yr warranty.Thankfully cause at 44,000 it developed a knock and I'm getting a new engine.

Titan

WKR
The XD was killed for 2020. That is the larger truck with the diesel

For a while, the previous gen Titan was an incredible truck for the price. The refresh left a lot to be desired. The 5/8 ton system was a great idea, they just didn't quite do it right. The technology on the trucks is severely lacking, although the 2020 will have a larger screen, etc.

Otherwise, its just a numbers issue. I think they only sell like 30k units a year. So chances are lower to see one.

They are a great truck, just behind the others right now. The 5.6 V8 is a incredibly solid engine.

kda082

WKR
I bought an 05 new and ran it to 180,000 miles, problem free. Great hunting truck that never left me high and dry, I do live in the midwest, not mts. I had the crew cab, long bed, bed ext, big gas tank. Have a Ram now but will look at again in the future.

renagde

WKR
Just stay away from the Cummins diesel. I hear the XD with the gas engine is the way to go. Really good warranty and I think for what you pay, you get a nicer ride and nicer interior compared to the competition. Lots of room for negotiation at the dealership because they don't sell many.

OP
B

boom

WKR
. Lots of room for negotiation at the dealership because they don't sell many.

this was the part i was thinking about. reminds me of the Mitsubishi dealership..they would catcall to me as i was looking at toyotas. i bet i would have gotten a smoking deal.....on that hot selling Montero! hahhahaha..

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Got to post a reply here. My name is Paul Peterson. Nissan employee number 110634. I LOVE DIY hunting just about anywhere and have been a Rokslide member for a while now. I am one of the engineering managers at the Nissan plant in Mississippi where they make the Titan. My opinion is that the Titan is a VERY solid truck. Randy Newberg drives one and loves it. I know this because oddly enough - my son lives in Bozeman Montana and spoke with Randy about his truck a few weeks ago.

As someone mentioned on the posting earlier, the volume of Titan trucks being sold is lower than some of the other brands out there. This could account for why you don't see as many out in the hunting woods. One reason (my opinion) that our volumes are lower is Nissan waited too long to refresh this truck. We are now playing catch up. I'm proud of this truck and encourage you to kick the tires at a dealership. There are a lot of great trucks to choose in the market today. I believe the Titan is worth a look.

Fitzwho

WKR
I'm running a '17 Titan XD with the Cummins. Other than having to put DEF in it, which is a PITA to me, it has been a great truck. I bought it with 19,000 miles on it and have over 63k now, just 15 months later.

My favorite part is putting it on cruise control, then watching the Tachometer not even budge going up almost any hill. My Ram with the 6.4 Hemi had to downshift to go over a speed bump comparatively. It has down shifted on cruise once in 44,000 miles. I wish I could figure out how to make it about 1,000lbs lighter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My favorite part is putting it on cruise control, then watching the Tachometer not even budge going up almost any hill. My Ram with the 6.4 Hemi had to downshift to go over a speed bump comparatively.

Gotta love a diesel. I love the way my cruise doesn't budge on my 7.3L PSD even going up mountain passes, and that's with a manual transmission. Set it at 75 and it just goes.

Ovahbored

FNG
I had an 04 for years and loved it. Only reason I don't have it still is rust killed it but can't blame the truck for it. A manifold cracked (this is common) but otherwise great outdoor truck.

ediggity

FNG
I had an 08 Titan Pro FX. Bought it used and owned it for 3 years. Interior was much nicer than big 3 at that time. Ride was awesome. I had to get a diesel as I needed to tow a 12k RV, so got rid of it.

Trial153

WKR
Buddy of mine has the Titan with the diesel, it’s a hell of nice truck but he had his share of annoying issues with it the first few years. I asked him if he would buy it again and he said not a chance in hell.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Jump on Hunt Talk and dig up the Titan thread(s) Randy has on there. Heck, you could pm him on Rokslide and see what he has to say about the one Nissan gave him to put through the paces.

Have a friend who’s had three. He doesn’t even shop. He puts about 150k’ish on one, orders a new one and rotates the one he’s replacing into ‘ranch truck’ status and sells the older ranch truck.

I have a 2017 titan regular cab in my work fleet. It has a little over 80,000 miles and no issues with it.

I had a 2018 Titan XD diesel in my work fleet for six months. Five of those months it was in the shop being fixed for everything under the sun. I leveraged Nissan into a buyback on that one which was no easy task. Factory rep came out to drive it with me and was telling me that everything was in spec when the overhead center consul fell out as we hit a bump in the cruise control locked up forcing him to shifted into neutral so we didn’t get killed.

Stay away from the XD version! Great concept with piss poor execution and zero quality control Do a quick Google search to see how many factory buybacks there are, it’s an astounding number

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2011 Pro4x. I have beat the crap out of it for 150k miles with zero issues. Great truck. You get more for your money it seems with the Nissans

Roy68

WKR
Had an 04 that I bought used in 2008 with ~50k. I drove it for 3 years and put another 50k on it. Sold it for what I paid for it and replaced it with a 3/4 ton out of necessity. It was on 3 elk hunts in that time and I couldn’t complain about it at all.

Seemed like It could pass anything but a gas station.

Only 2 issues I had was a pack rat made a mess of the engine harness after it set for a week Outside in the winter. The front half shafts were too short for some off road angles with the stock suspension and would pop the cir-clip off the end and the cause a leak at the front diff seal. Pretty sure that was fixed on later years.

tdhanses

WKR
I had a 2017 Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins. I dumped it due to motors blowing up and the issues owners have had when going through warranty with Nissan, figured I’d get rid of it while it still had value. Mine only had 27k on it and had zero issues but I dumped it especially after Nissan discontinued the diesel and bought up all the remaining inventory from Cummins.

I think it could of been a great plateform but wouldn’t recommend one due to lack of dealer support, lack of dealer mechanic knowledge and lack of dealers overall.

Now the Titan XD isn’t that big really, my 2019 F250 is big, the cab is about 6” wider and 4” taller then the Nissan and sits about as high as a Titan XD with a 4” lift.

The gas XD might be a good value but I’ve heard they are blowing up motors as well.

So while Nissan has a long warranty period, don’t expect it to be a great experience purely due to a lack of dealer knowledge.

Oh and the fuel mileage isn’t great, about the same as the 3/4 ton diesels.

I had a 2004 Titan I bought new and drove 11 years and 200,000 miles. I'd say the truck was OK the first 8 years and 150,000 miles. It was a piece of junk the last 3 years and 50,000 miles with maintenance costs at about $5,000 a year....exhaust manifolds, rear diff, front diff, door electrical harness, suspension all were failing etc. I would not buy another one based on a sample of one.

As a side note, I was complimenting a person on their new Chevrolet pickup (I'm actually a Ford guy) in Northern BC last Sunday. The driver said she had to get a new truck, as her almost new Nissan Titan diesel had turned into a total disaster. The DEF system froze up and broke three times last winter (it gets very cold in Northern BC). Nissan only fixed it twice under warranty, the third failure was on the owner. Unfortunately the person was left without the truck for much of last winter. Not the way to retain customers.