The Rokslide Stock Traders Thread

Johnboy

WKR
@Broomd, what's your crystal ball telling you about the tug-of-war between general economic sentiment and crude oil ticking back up? Who wins in the near term, say by beginning of fall? Disclosure: my trade account hemorrhaged 25% since a month ago, mostly due to oil. That one stings a bit!

Broomd

WKR
@Broomd, what's your crystal ball telling you about the tug-of-war between general economic sentiment and crude oil ticking back up? Who wins in the near term, say by beginning of fall? Disclosure: my trade account hemorrhaged 25% since a month ago, mostly due to oil. That one stings a bit!
John, it's tough. My acct is down $75k right now just with CDEV and GTE.
Not the first time this has happened, about the third or fourth. It always pops back up.
I suspect that O&G will reagain traction and be back up by Fall.
That said, this time if/when she pops I may fold the teepee. Worn out with all of it, wasn't planning on five years in the market, but also didn't expect the possibility of 200-250k (and potentially much more with CDEVs merger) in gains with one stock either. This country needs oil and lots of it, can't see that going away anytime soon.
One other thing. This week BMW introduced an EV SUV that will do 600 miles on a charge. It apparently uses no graphene/graphite (cleaner tech) and about 1/4 the normal lithium content of trad EV's (less mining.) That's ground-breaking stuff. BMW are cool cars but have never been long term reliable imho, so it isn't about the brand, but rather the possiblities. If Toyota/Honda etc. can refine that tech who knows how much things can change for the EV market and oil consumption. And much of the last three years of lithium hype re. EV cars could be more bust than boom.

Bottom line, don't know what to tell you. We're living under complete idiots with this admin and with this economy. These people care more about Jan 6th, transgender bullsh!t and social justice than people putting food on the table or filling their tanks. Clown world. Meanwhile 12 trillion has been wiped from retirement accts and 401Ks.
Apologies for the ramblings here.
It's a bad time in this country and the people running things are downright mentally sick. I don't like ranting on the poli-side of things but it's all joined at the hip.

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Glad to post I held off on this, but it's starting to get to a price that might be worth a buy.

Eddie

1657056454754.png

badgerboy

FNG
I have been steadily adding to Amazon.

Other than that, trying to keep my eyes on recession proof industries like healthcare (TDOC and the likes) as well as utilities.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I’m still torn if we are going to get a bear rally or dive lower.. hard to know when to jump back in heavy. I’m 30 and holding 50% cash on 401k

go_deep

WKR
9.1% inflation, up to 8 more interest rate hikes, zero desire to push for energy independence that isn't electric, hold on ladies and gentlemen.

9.1% inflation, up to 8 more interest rate hikes, zero desire to push for energy independence that isn't electric, hold on ladies and gentlemen.
Clarification: Zero desire to push for energy independence that isn't wind or solar. If there was a push for getting more nuclear plants up and running (to reduce usage of coal and LNG) I'd be all for that.

I made a bet on gold stocks this week, we’ll see how that plays out. I know they could potentially fall further, but I also recognize that GDX and GDXJ are deep into extreme oversold territory already, so I put a bet on GDXJ as it looks like gold is finding support at $1700 right now and the rate hikes are priced in to the market already. YMMV. Sticking with my OXY stock right now as well as I can’t imagine Warren Buffett doesn’t know what he’s doing.

I made a bet on gold stocks this week, we’ll see how that plays out. I know they could potentially fall further, but I also recognize that GDX and GDXJ are deep into extreme oversold territory already, so I put a bet on GDXJ as it looks like gold is finding support at $1700 right now and the rate hikes are priced in to the market already. YMMV. Sticking with my OXY stock right now as well as I can’t imagine Warren Buffett doesn’t know what he’s doing.
.75 rate hike is priced in. . . But wait and see what happens when the fed decides to go for a full 1.00 hike at the end of the month, that will get some attention!

As long as unemployment remains low they are going to hammer that interest rate bell. I don't think they are even weighing the fact that their actions take a minimum of 3-4 months to start truly showing up, they just want that inflation number down!

Broomd

WKR
Those crazy anti science energy policies are working great for Europe now . Doubling down on stupid
Yep just read about some states warning on rolling blackouts/brownouts and that charging EV cars may not even be possible. Like everything else in this clown world no one has any patience to do things the right way. EV will have it's place when the tech is there and it's reliable.

Oil and natty gas are the lifeblood of every economy and those who eschewed it are now dead in the water.

Last edited:

USNvet

FNG
I'm new to this forum, and just saw this thread on stocks. The first posts were talking about the 2020 Covid crash, and buying bargain stocks during that market dip. That crash is now over with and has since recovered, but now we have the next bargain hunting session upon us.

I've used high dividend paying stocks to add to my retirement income since retiring a few years early in 2008, and have no regrets. I mostly like REITs, but stocks like MO and F, plus a few mutual funds have also been good dividend payers.

Yes, these big market dips are the time to go bargain hunting. I haven't bought many during dips, but I do remember my best stock bargain was the 60 shares of AAPL I gambled on around 2000 at $25-28 a share. I spent about $1600 in three buys, and AAPL has now split a few times to turn 60 into 1600 today, so over 20 years later I'd say it pays to buy and hold! Another long term holding is F. It dipped all the way down to about $1 back during the 2008 market crash while GM and Mopar were looking for the guv to save them. I backed up the truck at $1.25 a share, but in looking back, should have used a bigger truck! It took F a couple of years to start paying a dividend again, but when they did they paid me back the cost of the stock every two years a few times over.

During the 2020 crash I mostly just added to REITs, and at present I'm looking to pick up some more GGT, which is paying around a 12% dividend now.

Just don't go crazy with any one stock, but diversify, diversify, diversify!

USNvet

FNG
And here are some thoughts on a few other subjects I've seen mentioned in this thread...gold, silver, oil, and market direction from here.

With these super high inflation numbers the guv has released recently, shouldn't gold and silver be rising to maintain steady buying power? Everything else in the stores is going up and so should the precious metals! That is how it worked up until now, but why are they both now declining?

I think I found the answer in a Youtube channel I've been following for a few months now. Just search YT for Jake Broe and view a few of his videos. He has a very sharp mind when it comes to piecing the big picture together, not just regarding the stock market's direction, but also a lot about the economy, coming recession, and he does a great job in deciphering Russia's "Incursion" into Ukraine.
(Russia has no chance of winning unless NATO and the West stop sending guns and ammo to Ukraine)

Since much of the world is now boycotting Russia, they are desperate to raise money to throw at the war, and as the number one miner/seller of gold in the world, they still have two customers who are buying gold, India and China. Since these two countries know they have Russia by the balls, they are demanding a discount, therefore the price has been inching down in the legitimate world market, too. Russia also sells India and China discounted oil, causing it to also drop.

On top of the Russia/India/China monkey wrench in the economic works, Jake believes a recession is coming which will mean a slowing economy and more pressure on the price of oil, all meant to slow inflation with higher interest rates.

This is just a quick summation of what Jake Broe has talked about, and there is so much more to be learned from his channel. He is a former Air Force Captain who was in charge of ICBM nukes while on active duty, so really nothing to do with analyzing war strategies, or the markets, so he must have had a lot of free time to come up with his well reasoned thoughts!