The Slow Play Breeding Sequence!

Moneyball

WKR
Throwing this back up to the top because its such a great sequence. Question for any of you guys that have used the slow play with much regularity. Have you had instances where you may have been using the slow play and pushed elk out of the area? If so, why do you feel it happened? (too aggressive too quickly, called too much, made the wrong sound at the wrong time, etc.) And how far did the elk go after they were pushed? Thanks!

Last edited:

sveltri

WKR
The very first time I tried this sequence this year was on a lone bedded bull. I couldn't believe what was happening as the bull got excited and did exactly what Paul said he would. Unfortunately my buddies and I had a lack of communication and they freaked out thinking the bull was going to wind THEM. He had no idea they were in the area, he was coming to me. I was calling from the backside of a little hill in the complete open, they were staged at the top right between the bull and I. During the sequence I was getting into it pretty good and not focused on my buddies, when I did look up at them they were running down the hill!! Well, when people are running I guess I thought it was a good idea to do the same thing so I followed suit. As I was running to the next tree I bugled just to show that the bull was chasing the cow, when I got to the tree I turned around and standing (momentarily) at the tree my partners had just evacuated was the bull. He had great 4ths and pretty good splits.

Moneyball

WKR
Thanks guys. I know Paul always talks about having a great setup. Anything you guys would’ve changed about your setup going back? Minus the running away of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaving tomorrow morning for CO. I plan to "slow play" three different bedding areas in thick timber that are often used by elk that I generally avoid to keep from busting them out. I try to give them their "Sanctuary". If the wind is cooperating I going to try sneak in slowly to get to about 150-200 yards and start the show. Looks like I may have to wait a day or two due to the projected prevailing wind directions for two of the areas but I am certainly going to give it a shot. One location has bedding area about 300 yards from a set of wallows in really thick mixed timber and I am going to try this is the wallow area first and do some water thrashing too. Bulls will occasionally leave the cows and sneak down and hit the wallow mid day. This is my first spot to try.

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
Man this is some some solid information. As a new guy to this planning my trip to Colorado for 2020, it's nice to get all this explained in a manner that says when and why it works. Definitely going to learn it and put it in my bag of tricks to try

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Moneyball

WKR
Man this is some some solid information. As a new guy to this planning my trip to Colorado for 2020, it's nice to get all this explained in a manner that says when and why it works. Definitely going to learn it and put it in my bag of tricks to try

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have no affiliation with ElkNut whatsoever. Having said that I would highly suggest you get the ElkNut App. I am by no means as accomplished of an elk hunter as others. The app has really helped me and even some of the guys that I hunt with who have been doing it 25+ years.