Theres no such thing as traditional

Beendare

WKR
Do ya get it yet William?

Thats great that you started recently and are shooting well in your backyard. Fantastic ....really.

But get out there and shoot an unmarked 3D course...or get in the woods with a bow of decent hunting weight....and you will see what we are all getting it. It will tame some of your cockiness....and it will give you more respect for the guys out there getting it done with a Stickbow.

_

Stickbow

FNG
Some of these responses are pretty funny.

Personally I think this thread needs a good derailing. I think a better topic is if you were introducing someone to trad archery with zero/minimal experience, how would you set them up?

Im doing this now, and I set them up with a 34# bow, three under, middle finger to canine anchor point, using the arrow point to aim, 10 yards from the target. First goal being getting reasonable form and keeping 3 out of 3 arrows in the middle of the target.

Some of these responses are pretty funny.

Personally I think this thread needs a good derailing. I think a better topic is if you were introducing someone to trad archery with zero/minimal experience, how would you set them up?

Im doing this now, and I set them up with a 34# bow, three under, middle finger to canine anchor point, using the arrow point to aim, 10 yards from the target. First goal being getting reasonable form and keeping 3 out of 3 arrows in the middle of the target.

I think I would do the same, I'd add a clicker that makes them expand and use back tension before release. Probably use a fixed crawl anchor so it would be a closer point on distance. That's just to keep them from being frustrated.

Stickbow

FNG
Clicker might be a good idea, its hard for me to explain what back tension feels like. I think fixed crawl might be in the future, but for now I just say "aim here, and it will hit here"

Clicker might be a good idea, its hard for me to explain what back tension feels like. I think fixed crawl might be in the future, but for now I just say "aim here, and it will hit here"

Once at full draw pinch your shoulder blades together to get back tension.

If that makes sense, can come to full draw, tho a little short with your shoulder, once anchored, pull with your back.

I like what Tom clum teaches to get back tension. Make them draw their bow with a slightly flexed wrist. It seems a little awkward Initially since the arrow is pointing a little away from the target...but when you pull that bow back with your back tension it lines that arrow right up. Then focus your back tension behind your back, not dead away behind the arrow (when I did this I shot well, back tension focused behind the arrow, but it caused me shoulder impingement).

sounds like you are starting them offon a good note though.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I made an account on this forum just to point out the stupidity of this thread. If WS is trolling than he's a genius because he pissed me off so much I had to make an account lol.

Oh an BJ if you're getting shoulder impingement you arent in proper back tension. Proper back tension will not result in shoulder impingement.

Last edited:

caleb_22

FNG
I have shot both for many years. Without practice, I can pick up my compound and shoot a good group at 40 yards at any point.(but does NOT mean that you shouldnt practice extensively before hunting). Shooting traditional takes consistent long term practice for the same results.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'm not trolling

But I did get lost down a google rabbit hole last night. Ended up on some site that compiles archery, and bowhunting photos/posts from Instagram.

I never spent much time on Instagram. I realize now I'm swimming upstream.

If people spent as much time ingraining a simple repeatable form, as they did typing out hashtags, they be badass archers in no time.

"Traditional" archery just isn't as difficult as its made out to be.

Get a 30lb bow, develop your form at 10 yds, work your way back up to hunting weight.

You'll be amazed how good you really are.

It doesn't take years.

You can be deadly, and ethical to 25-30 yds in a month or two.

Its just Archery.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Even if they’re dumb! 😝