WTS They’ve found a new way to scam!!!

PLO5

WKR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Saw an ad earlier today and typed pm sent. I then sent the poster a message and sent through with purchase. He was legit however 15 minutes after I had paid him and sent him address I got a text from a phone number I didn’t recognize and the person screenshot the ad and said it was his stuff and that he text me to make sale faster. He provided a different PayPal address which was [email protected] and wanted money via f&f. I have not sent money and I know it’s a scam but how in the heck did he get my phone number? I’m sure this will happen to other guys. The phone number he’s texting from it 805-316-0519. His English is even legit and spelling is fine. Beware guys

Attachments

• FF8760A3-497B-4517-81EF-FDC23D86097E.png
    FF8760A3-497B-4517-81EF-FDC23D86097E.png
    511.8 KB · Views: 419

68Plexi

WKR
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I got the "PM me at this phone number for quick response if interested" scam yesterday.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I’m confused. Who’s who here? The seller scammed you or the friend of the seller tried scamming you?

OP
PLO5

PLO5

WKR
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
The seller was legit. After everything was done via pm and ad was closed I got the texts pictured above from someone trying to say it was their stuff. I am confused how they got the phone number
I only dealt with the actual seller via pm on here

wesfromky

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller was legit. After everything was done via pm and ad was closed I got the texts pictured above from someone trying to say it was their stuff. I am confused how they got the phone number
I only dealt with the actual seller via pm on here
Do you have your cell number setup here for multifactor auth?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The scammer must have access to either your or the seller's account, perhaps unaware to you or the seller. Assuming the seller is legit in the first place as you say.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I sell on forums and am glad I can move stuff I dont need but being a buyer is getting risky. I just assume pay full price or wait for sales anymore. It takes a lot of good deals to make up for getting ripped off once.

NWMT_MountainBum

WKR
Classified Approved
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Scammers are getting more and more ingenious, had a long conversation yesterday, with one of the most convincing ones so far. Is there any way we can secure our forums more?

Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I’m the original seller here, I had an easy and seamless transaction with OP here. He alerted me to the scam, I immediately reset my password and enabled 2FA via google authenticator app. It’s a serious mystery to me how the scammer got the OP’s phone number. My account did show that it was being accessed by a user of Mozilla Firefox, which I haven’t used since high school circa 2005.

Ive sold thousands of dollars worth of gear on Rokslide over the years and this is the first time I’ve encountered this. I’ve been doing more phone calls and FaceTime calls with guys lately and that seems to help

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think I know how this happened but won’t say as I don’t want to give any ideas to other scammers. I will say that no one had to be hacked for this to happen. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use 2FA.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
How many of you get a PM when you put up a WTB ad? I just got one for my ad looking for a Muskeg. The guy is brand new. Says he’s not here often so gave me a phone number to text. Maybe I’m paranoid. Maybe not. But I sent a text asking for specs that I won’t lead the knowledge of as he should have it. I plan also to ask for pics of him holding it and then to write my name on a paper with it. We shall see.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How many of you get a PM when you put up a WTB ad? I just got one for my ad looking for a Muskeg. The guy is brand new. Says he’s not here often so gave me a phone number to text. Maybe I’m paranoid. Maybe not. But I sent a text asking for specs that I won’t lead the knowledge of as he should have it. I plan also to ask for pics of him holding it and then to write my name on a paper with it. We shall see.
Let me guess, “I get a lot of spam so leave phone in truck but check texts.”? That’s a common scammer phrase.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a resourceful scammer try hard recently- they gave me a name and number for an FFL and I spoke to someone that said the rifle was in their possession then realized the number didn’t match the number listed for the FFL. They also sent a photo with a handwritten note in it- I recognized it as a photoshopped photo. Then they gave me a phone number to call that matched the area they were supposedly from but it was a Google Voice number created just for that use. Be careful, they are creative and work hard.

Last edited: