WTS They’ve found a new way to scam!!!

CorbLand

WKR
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
How many of you get a PM when you put up a WTB ad? I just got one for my ad looking for a Muskeg. The guy is brand new. Says he’s not here often so gave me a phone number to text. Maybe I’m paranoid. Maybe not. But I sent a text asking for specs that I won’t lead the knowledge of as he should have it. I plan also to ask for pics of him holding it and then to write my name on a paper with it. We shall see.
It’s a scam. Move on. They will photoshop a piece of paper with anything you want on it in about 2 minutes. Report the profile so mods can ban them. Your not the only one they are trying to scam.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
It’s a scam. Move on. They will photoshop a piece of paper with anything you want on it in about 2 minutes. Report the profile so mods can ban them. Your not the only one they are trying to scam.
Agreed. I think I’ll do just that. An admin reached out to get the user name. It seems off so I’ll just assume it is. There’s too many reliable folks on here to chance with someone who’s not.

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We all need to be better about leaving feedback. I've bought a lot on here and sold a couple items, I haven't left much feedback, and don't have much on my account either.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How many of you get a PM when you put up a WTB ad? I just got one for my ad looking for a Muskeg. The guy is brand new. Says he’s not here often so gave me a phone number to text. Maybe I’m paranoid. Maybe not. But I sent a text asking for specs that I won’t lead the knowledge of as he should have it. I plan also to ask for pics of him holding it and then to write my name on a paper with it. We shall see.
You’re not paranoid. Trust your gut. There are at least a couple red flags. Pics of him holding it are good. But live video on FaceTime is gold standard. Pics are falsifiable now, the abilities of these guys to photoshop will blow your mind.

crich

WKR
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I wouldnt be surprised if scammers are getting phone numbers by visiting profiles and looking at public PMs. I havent looked into setting options but I sometimes can see conversations between members when visiting their profile and wondered if they knew that was happening. Almost like how venmo will spill your beans to the world unless you tell them not to.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I think I know how this happened but won’t say as I don’t want to give any ideas to other scammers. I will say that no one had to be hacked for this to happen. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use 2FA.
So, if you have a inclination of what happened, what can we do as a purchaser to combat it, in this instance?
Thanks

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So, if you have a inclination of what happened, what can we do as a purchaser to combat it, in this instance?
Thanks
In general be mindful of what information you leave publicly. @crich makes a good point, profile messages aren’t private.

It’s good practice to delete your pm’s in case you got hacked, it can help protect others information too.

Don’t post others information, if they don’t use their real name don’t mention them by it.

Keep your email secure. There could be something in your pm notification email.

Change your password and use something auto generated.

As a purchaser check their profile, reach out to who gave feedback. Play it slow, a few hours between replies and most scammers will lose interest (more patience for high dollar items). If they start responding like a child in trouble for lying, they’re lying.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Here’s an example of the profile messages, I recommend everyone comb theirs and delete anything with specific information. D42636E2-AB68-422F-94E9-F4AEA2C76D96.jpeg

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
In general be mindful of what information you leave publicly. @crich makes a good point, profile messages aren’t private.

It’s good practice to delete your pm’s in case you got hacked, it can help protect others information too.

Don’t post others information, if they don’t use their real name don’t mention them by it.

As a purchaser check their profile, reach out to who gave feedback. Play it slow, a few hours between replies and most scammers will lose interest (more patience for high dollar items). If they start responding like a child in trouble for lying, they’re lying.
Thank you!
I appreciate it as I’m sure many, many others do.
I’ve bought and sold many classified items on Rokslide. Let’s keep it going

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Saw an ad earlier today and typed pm sent. I then sent the poster a message and sent through with purchase. He was legit however 15 minutes after I had paid him and sent him address I got a text from a phone number I didn’t recognize and the person screenshot the ad and said it was his stuff and that he text me to make sale faster. He provided a different PayPal address which was [email protected] and wanted money via f&f. I have not sent money and I know it’s a scam but how in the heck did he get my phone number? I’m sure this will happen to other guys. The phone number he’s texting from it 805-316-0519. His English is even legit and spelling is fine. Beware guys
That’s a local number from my area. Thanks for the heads up.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
You’re not paranoid. Trust your gut. There are at least a couple red flags. Pics of him holding it are good. But live video on FaceTime is gold standard. Pics are falsifiable now, the abilities of these guys to photoshop will blow your mind.
Pretty sad. The good they could do with those skills.

fwafwow

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Thanks @fngTony. I have never posted a profile message but deleted the ones that were there.
I had not thought about this, but will go back through them and delete others' names and contact info - and mine. Ideally others will do the same - and I may ask them to do so.
This does happen, without bad intentions, especially after establishing a good connection with a member. I've had someone post only my first name in a thread and asked them to delete it.

I had not enabled 2FA here, as I use a PW manager and still change my PWs pretty frequently. But I decided to try it out and see what the PITA factor is, especially because I"m on here so much. Usually I only use MFA or 2FA on financial accounts, or where required (like work). But I also read an article recently about how MFA and 2FA can be bypassed, but the solution (bearer aware authentication) looks to be not commonly used, as far as I can tell. MFA/2FA and bearer tokens are probably overkill on RS, but maybe someone on here actually knows about this stuff and can chime in.
Yep, and like someone else said, trust your gut.

fwafwow

WKR
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
My account did show that it was being accessed by a user of Mozilla Firefox, which I haven’t used since high school circa 2005.
I think this might be a RS issue. I don't use Mozilla Firefox either (Brave is my go-to browser), but my iPhone and a couple of Macs signins all show up in my history as having used Mozilla. I logged them out anyway.

z987k

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would something like 100 posts and 6 months to post in the classifieds or PM do anything?

h2so4

WKR
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
@veganhunter did you notice anything weird or glitchy when you were accessing your account? Somewhat recently I kept getting logged out by an “active user” issue. I also had issue accessing my password reset. In fear of a potential scammer issue, I reached out to admin and had them reset my password. I enabled 2 factor authentication asap.

Attachments

• 31E0ECCB-8BDA-4861-84A8-41B332DE842A.jpeg
    31E0ECCB-8BDA-4861-84A8-41B332DE842A.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 22
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would something like 100 posts and 6 months to post in the classifieds or PM do anything?

Yeah.

A lot more comments about how .223 isn't enough, I'll get popcorn, Haha, lol, what's a WKR?, and why can't I post in classifieds?

Personally, I think it should be earned entry, based on Meme abilities.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's sometimes easy to get a phone number by just finding someone's username in another forum or image searching photos they posted. Finding a real name often means finding a phone number.

I bought a hot tent a few months ago. Found the same user I'd on a cattle forum, which lead me to the real name, user's business website, phone number.

I use this technique to VERIFY sellers and not get scammed. For what I paid for the hot tent it was worth the time it took to verify the seller, who was an awesome person.

z987k

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PMs between members are not secure on this forum so that's one way to query a phone number, address, email addresses, ... whatever private info you've exchanged through PMs.
How are PM's not secure? I can't look at yours. Google doesn't index them.

Do you mean the profile posts?