thigh rig for bear protection pistol

nuclear worker

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure where to post so I will try here. Looking for a company that makes left handed thigh rigs for the Glock 20,Glock G40MOS Anor the Springfield XDM. Any help would be appreciated.

You really don’t want a thigh rig if going to be hiking much, it will annoy the shit out of you and then rub the shit out of you. A drop down/offset is a lot better, will have it down low enough to clear packs/belts but not so low you need the lower strap to draw or keep it from flopping everywhere. Either way, Gcode makes both.

Yeah great for movies and SWAT teams but a Thigh rig and a long hike is a nice way to start a brush fire in your taint while you slowly saw your leg off.

Years ago we were issued those safariland double strap rigs. Not long after we did a 10 mile forced march. By the end most of those rigs were tied up to a waist belt or removed and tossed in our packs.

If you want to drop your pistol below a pack belt look into a $20 safariland product called a UBL. It can be used with any holster that has the 3 bolt t pattern attachment. G code and a few others make versions too.

treillw

WKR
Yeah great for movies and SWAT teams but a Thigh rig and a long hike is a nice way to start a brush fire in your taint while you slowly saw your leg off.

Anybody have experiece with the GFI drop pannel? Does it rub the crap out of your leg while running around?

Anybody have experiece with the GFI drop pannel? Does it rub the crap out of your leg while running around?

I don’t understand this holster. It gives you the drop of an offset/drop holster that doesn’t require a thigh strap but yet has a thigh strap. Any strap is going to create a hot spot if your walk is further than 200 yards to a stand. Look at Gcode RTI system or Safariland QLS. Both you can change holsters/guns with a push of a button without taking base platform off, both have drop down/offset rigs and thigh rigs.

MCSO1357

FNG
Another vote for something other than drop leg holster. I’ve had experience with this type of holster for duty use. They will rub your leg and chafe because it will move/flop around while you move, especially big and heavy guns. If you tighten the straps down tight, it will only make it worse unless it’s tourniquet tight, and then you have a different set of problems.

ETA: I used Safariland thigh rig/holster.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I believe thigh rigs were developed by people who never had to use them in real life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Laned

WKR

Years ago we were issued those safariland double strap rigs. Not long after we did a 10 mile forced march. By the end most of those rigs were tied up to a waist belt or removed and tossed in our packs.

If you want to drop your pistol below a pack belt look into a $20 safariland product called a UBL. It can be used with any holster that has the 3 bolt t pattern attachment. G code and a few others make versions too.
That's funny. I never had that problem. Not saying that I wouldn't occasionally get annoyed if I didn't have it set up right. But, I never had any of those issues in the years that I used one. Granted, I only used the lower strap or crisscrossed them though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sobrbiker

WKR
Tried a thigh rig-hated it. If you’re a door kicker wearing armor and kit, maybe.
Outdoorsman on the move and bound up in a blind or some other limited movement scenario, they suck (for me).

I prefer a tanker style chest holster for my 10mm-it works with my pack straps and bino harness.

bsnedeker

WKR
That's funny. I never had that problem. Not saying that I wouldn't occasionally get annoyed if I didn't have it set up right. But, I never had any of those issues in the years that I used one. Granted, I only used the lower strap or crisscrossed them though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm with you, I'm not sure what these anti thigh holster guys are smoking. I LOVE mine and it's just a cheapo blackhawk thigh holster. I have never gotten a hotspot from the straps, I don't find it awkward in any way, and it doesn't fatigue my right leg any more than my left.

I'm thinking there are some folks who are either using holsters that are not adjusted correctly, or they aren't talking from personal experience and are going off "internet wisdom".

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I'm with you, I'm not sure what these anti thigh holster guys are smoking. I LOVE mine and it's just a cheapo blackhawk thigh holster. I have never gotten a hotspot from the straps, I don't find it awkward in any way, and it doesn't fatigue my right leg any more than my left.

I'm thinking there are some folks who are either using holsters that are not adjusted correctly, or they aren't talking from personal experience and are going off "internet wisdom".

About a decade ago when I was getting into handguns I bought a drop leg holster, thinking they were cool. No matter what I tried, I couldn’t like it. I wanted to. I had invested my own money into it and it wasn’t cheap.
When I joined the military I was issued one. Again, I tried to make it work. I hate spending my own money if the issued item does the job. I ended up ordering a Safariland belt holster with a drop adapter shipped to Iraq and never looked back.

Things I hated about them:
Longer reach to the gun
Inconsistent draw due to holster shifting or leg position, the gun is a moving target
Running with three pounds bouncing on your leg
Chafing/comfort
Frigging straps and buckles everywhere

A good belt holster fixed all of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Not to be an argumentative, but I could find you a few hundred military guys like myself that can attest to the ass pain of a thigh holster. They flat out suck for hiking, backpacking, backcountry hunting, and any amount of navigation through the bush. They get caught on everything and constantly get in the way.

OP, do yourself a favor and get a kenai chest holster from gunfighters. Will save you loads of misery.

Fair enough! All I can say is that I spend a LOT of days in the field every year hiking, scouting, and hunting in NW Montana with bears, wolves, and big cats everywhere and I always have a my full-size beretta strapped to my thigh. I have had none of the issues you are describing. The benefits of a thigh rig are the reason I use one:

1. Most natural draw for me. I've tried a chest rig and I personally find that drawing motion extremely awkward.
2. Gun is ALWAYS on me. I take my pack off all the time so having it mounted there is a no go. I also take my bino harness off when I get back to camp. I keep my thigh rig on until I climb into my sleeping bag.
3. My chest is already full of gear! During archery season I keep a heads-up decoy rolled up behind my bino harness. There is no room for anything else on my chest.

Perhaps if I had carried one for years in the military I might be biased against them for whatever reason. But my personal experience with my thigh rig has been nothing but positive.