Thinking about hunting solo....

I've been planning an OTC archery elk hunt all year in Colorado but the people I've been hoping would join are not able to. I'm debating about going solo because I'm really going for the experience and to learn. The first time I went elk hunting was two years ago with some friends so I'm not that experienced. I'm sure a lot of yall do it on your own but I'm a little anxious when I think about it. Is this a bad idea or should I take the plunge? If I do go solo I probably won't stray too far from the road, less than 2-3 miles or so. Appreciate the responses, smart ass or not!

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of guys hunt solo on this forum and for similar reason's. I have been out scouting and shed hunting on my own and i would say just make sure you have some contingencies planned out for worst case, also make sure you have some sort of satellite messaging so you can get out if SHTF. I just picked up a garmin inreach mini 2 so the wife and I could communicate when im out there. Are you North or Southern Colorado?

A lot of guys hunt solo on this forum and for similar reason's. I have been out scouting and shed hunting on my own and i would say just make sure you have some contingencies planned out for worst case, also make sure you have some sort of satellite messaging so you can get out if SHTF. I just picked up a garmin inreach mini 2 so the wife and I could communicate when im out there. Are you North or Southern Colorado?
I was going to reply something similar, agree with what you wrote.

Do it. Like was mentioned, get a way to communicate for your piece of mind and your families. You will learn so much faster actually out there with boots on the ground. Enjoy fall in the mountains chasing elk whether you get one or not. There is no better way to learn it.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Little anxious, well, maybe take baby steps to start with. Go out on a few strictly camping scouting trips to start with. Short not to remote trips until you build up your confidence. Heed all the advice about communication gear, and make sure someone knows where you will be and when to expect you to return.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I like hunting alone sometimes. Do it quite often. No worries. Just make sure you have some form of communication in the event of an emergency.

Seth

WKR
Don’t let others dictate whether or not you fulfill your own dreams.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just go, I get it, when I first started, backpacking solo wasn’t the most comfortable. But now it is amazing. When you realize the you are wayyyyy safer up there than driving on I-70 to get there or staying in Denver. It is nice, got to live in the moment, if truck camping is more comfortable do that. Plenty of folks find success within a mile of a road or trail. I still enjoy hunting more with hunting partners but now life doesn’t always align and it won’t in the future. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable

UncleBone

WKR
I reckon I will be going solo ML elk hunting this year. Haven't really even thought about it. I will be in a pretty popular unit so if things go sideways I am sure I could find some help, or somebody to help me pack out if I get lucky.

I’m taking my 12 yr old son with me for the first 3 days. My dad and brother will be there for the first 3-4 days then have to leave for work and other obligations. I’ll be sending my son home with one of them sometime on day 3. The rest of the 6-7 daysI’ll be by myself. Not a big deal but I’ve been at this for a while now and I’m not packing in anywhere. My advice would be to go but not necessarily pack in. Camp from your vehicle and find good places to hunt close by until you get more experience. Lots of elk are killed close to roads and trailheads. Start on a trailhead then just start bushwhacking and hunt slow making a big loop back to your vehicle. It’s surprising how well it works.