Thinking about hunting solo....

Solo is great. You just have to do your homework and it's all good. Have the safety side of things sorted and your good to go.

Pdzoller

WKR
Sadly I’ve found people to be unreliable most of the time or just too busy doing their own thing. I hunt solo some and I really enjoy it. I did have a very close encounter with a cat that snuck up behind me while I was glassing. It scared me pretty good, I tried pulling my pistol but I had just bought my first push button holster. I literally stood there yanking on my pistol as the cat realized what I was and walked off. 🙄 Not my finest moment.

I decided to get this little gargoyle shortly after that incident. Haven’t been disappointed once. Companionship, protection and solitude at the same time. Can’t take him bow hunting but for rifle season and scouting he’s the best hunting partner I’ve had. IMG_6077.jpegIMG_6041.jpeg71599581756__9F60E319-F67C-41A6-BB29-3242C2B3F833.jpeg

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I am testing a guy out WT hunting to see who he is. We have been setting up cameras and stands on public throughout the fall. We were supposed to hunt today. He said he wanted to leave at 2. I told him I could leave till 3 today. Then he says he's moving his shit....when he didn't show up I still left. Weird thing is... im the only one with a truck.

Guess I have my "do they make the cut" answer.

700-223

FNG
Sadly I’ve found people to be unreliable most of the time or just too busy doing their own thing. I hunt solo some and I really enjoy it. I did have a very close encounter with a cat that snuck up behind me while I was glassing. It scared me pretty good, I tried pulling my pistol but I had just bought my first push button holster. I literally stood there yanking on my pistol as the cat realized what I was and walked off. 🙄 Not my finest moment.

I decided to get this little gargoyle shortly after that incident. Haven’t been disappointed once. Companionship, protection and solitude at the same time. Can’t take him bow hunting but for rifle season and scouting he’s the best hunting partner I’ve had. View attachment 616103View attachment 616104View attachment 616105
Would love to hunt with my Belgian malinois - unfortunately it’s illegal to hunt big game with dogs
in Alberta. You can use them for cougar, but nothing else as I understand. 🤷‍♂️

Pros and cons to both. Solo brings a different level of mental awareness and strength to stay course, not getting bored, or giving up. Its easy to come up with excuses to abort etc….Having the wrong person out there with you can be detrimental and a bad experience. Solo is a great way to push yourself and learn. Biggest downside i think is the pack out if successful and not sharing the experience of success. But its just different and the success felt alone is substantially rewarding as well. Best of luck….

Sapcut

WKR
I solo whitetail and pig hunt every single time I go and have for years. Although I don't mind and will elk hunt with the right bowhunter that wants to hunt, I went solo this year bowhunting elk and Lord willing I will certainly have no problem and will solo hunt every time I hunt out west. It is very nice only having to think about how your decisions will only affect you. Win or lose.....only you win or lose.

But I think it comes down to one's personality and not everyone has the personality to effort toward hard challenges alone. Other than some landowner clients, I am alone lots of most days during my work managing timber and hunting land. So I am used to hustling and trying to make things happen for a living. So some personalities have a bit more umph in their gut that tends to persuade the gut owner to go ahead....put name in the draw, YOU book a flight when YOU want to go, YOU arrange rental truck if needed, YOU book a hotel where YOU want it the first night to acclimate to altitude because YOU know that is extremely important and can kill you if you don't. You plan your hunt as fast or slow as you wish. And you don't feel the need to leave because the guy that isn't with you is homesick.

It is a different way of bowhunting elk without it turning into a another hiking and camping trip. I hike in the woods every day. But bowhiking out West is really enjoyable solo.

TEF73

FNG
I've hunted solo for at least one hunt every year for the last 25 years. Wilderness hunting solitude is a good reset for the psyche

When I go out I am usually alone... Though often I hanker for pleasant company.

Alone I am able to focus better, be more mindful, and ponder my place in this massive world while I stare up at the trees and sky.

With company, I have the benefit of someone to reflect off of, and my experience will be much more unpredictable (which I enjoy). Other personalities are so interesting, and it's wonderful to share my time outdoors as a part of a unique dynamic.