Thinking about hunting solo....

I just started doing solo out of state hunts a couple years ago. I love it. The worst part is not having someone to talk to especially the long drive. Once I get into animals the thought of being alone goes away until it's time to pack meat lol. I have found learning as much about the area through conversation, e scouting etc. Before I step foot into the unit really helps my confidence. Just do it you only live once.

TaperPin

WKR
September in the Rocky Mountains is special - you’ll be glad you made the trip.

I’ve hunted solo about as much as with partner and you will enjoy it if you don’t let it play mind games with you. If you’re camped on a road, there will be mice - don’t let them keep you up all night. I have to bring a radio and ear phones or every little noise turns into something bigger than it is.

A satellite phone or beacon is not a substitute for common sense and survival skills. The 10 essentials are just that. If you are accident prone it’s better to hunt with a partner. As a teenager I was taught to prepare for unexpected overnights by grabbing a day pack and what you intend to hunt with, and spend the night just off a road near your car.

In the end you’ll learn more hunting solo.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Do it but you have to have your ducks in a row if you plan of killing something.

Along with the rigors of hunting and hauling in camp alone the biggest possible dilemma will be once you have an elk down. Even 2-3 miles in certain terrain/temperature is a problem solo.

All my elk have been killed alone and there has been times I had to call a packer. Find the local outfitter or horse packing guy/gal and call them. Tell them your plan and ask if they might be available if you get a bull down and the weather/ location are a problem for a solo retrieval.

I have had lots of tough but doable pack outs but occasionally its just to hot to wait for a solo three pack trip out.
Good luck!

milljaco

FNG
Solo hunting is great! I’ll echo what has been said already. You can learn a lot from researching it and hunting with others but doing it solo puts it all together and you are forced to make your own decisions and figure things out for yourself you will become so much more proficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
I've been planning an OTC archery elk hunt all year in Colorado but the people I've been hoping would join are not able to. I'm debating about going solo because I'm really going for the experience and to learn. The first time I went elk hunting was two years ago with some friends so I'm not that experienced. I'm sure a lot of yall do it on your own but I'm a little anxious when I think about it. Is this a bad idea or should I take the plunge? If I do go solo I probably won't stray too far from the road, less than 2-3 miles or so. Appreciate the responses, smart ass or not!

I hunt the archery season every year and have never been with anyone else in the woods but myself. Why would you cheat yourself of the experience just because your buddies aren't interested?

If you want to know what you are made of hike in 4 miles at 3am in the morning in the pitch dark, then beat your inner voices telling you to head back to camp when there is still an hour or two of legal light left and walk back out in the dark again.

Just go in to your area a couple days early to get acclimated and learn the area.

Clarktar

WKR
Yep. I'm not sure I prefer one over the other, but I really enjoy the solo hunt.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

700-223

FNG
I've been planning an OTC archery elk hunt all year in Colorado but the people I've been hoping would join are not able to. I'm debating about going solo because I'm really going for the experience and to learn. The first time I went elk hunting was two years ago with some friends so I'm not that experienced. I'm sure a lot of yall do it on your own but I'm a little anxious when I think about it. Is this a bad idea or should I take the plunge? If I do go solo I probably won't stray too far from the road, less than 2-3 miles or so. Appreciate the responses, smart ass or not!
Go for it. Have some sort of communication device - inreach etc if out of cell reception. Also, have a plan or people you can call for a pack out. Packing a moose or elk out by yourself can be a BIG job.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All my elk have been killed alone and there has been times I had to call a packer.
There have been times when I "wanted" to call a packer. I would have paid $1000 on the spot for some horse help.

I don't mind having a buddy around during the season, but as soon as I get that bugle response........I want to be solo, and usually am at that point, as I take off on a run.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
There have been times when I "wanted" to call a packer. I would have paid $1000 on the spot for some horse help.

I don't mind having a buddy around during the season, but as soon as I get that bugle response........I want to be solo, and usually am at that point, as I take off on a run.
Exactly why I call ahead of time. It's all fine and well if you have cool temps or an ice cold stream to keep your meat cool but the second that you run out of options, that packer is priceless.

I love hunting (or fishing) with like minded people.

But I hunt alone most of the time.

Because solitude doing what you want to do is better than the best company missing out on what you want to do.

I'm assuming you've camped a few nights alone already. An Inreach/Zoleo would be high on my list. But I did a lot of solo stuff before I had one.

Pacohunts

FNG
Agreed. Your imagination is your worst enemy. I know mine is. Any of you guys use sleeping aids? Falling asleep is usually the toughest part for me. Whiskey or sleeping pills? Or maybe both?? What are you guys doing?

2531usmc

WKR
I went through stages of solo hunting:
-young, fearless, and indestructible.
-middle aged and parenting, more cautious and conservative wrt weather and terrain.
-a little older, asking myself hard question.
-more than a little older and concluding it’s a really bad idea to be packing a deer out of the woods, in the dark, by myself, dressed head to toe in camouflage.

accordingly, I made the best decisions that worked for me

700-223

FNG
Agreed. Your imagination is your worst enemy. I know mine is. Any of you guys use sleeping aids? Falling asleep is usually the toughest part for me. Whiskey or sleeping pills? Or maybe both?? What are you guys doing?
I would discourage the use of sleep aids in general and in the backcountry in particular. The quality of your sleep is worse, and your awareness is impacted. I woke one night to find my tent collapsing because of heavy, unseasonal snowfall to the point that trees and branches were coming down around me. I spent the night knocking snow off of my tent and checking to make sure the trees near us were safe. It would have been a bad night to sleep through.

With the heavy flooding, they ended up rescuing 30 people by helicopter that weekend.