Thinking I need a flintlock

I need another hobby like a hole in the head. Between trad bows, my modern guns and family I don't have much free time.

But I grew up dressed up like Davey Crockett with a musket cap gun in hand in my back yard.

Then God help me if I watch a documentary on the history channel!

So in Montana we do not have a special muzzle season unless it's in a special sub-urban area. But we do have a lot of doe tags. Mainly be a deer and loper gun. I try and arrow my elk or bust. But I wouldn't rule an elk out.

I'm also working on moving to a place where I'll be able to shoot in the backyard, out the kitchen window or whatever I want to, God willing.

I've been poking around a little. Ive been looking at Pedersoli. I really like the PA rifle. I'd like a "pretty gun" with historical sentimental value. How's Lyman? Is Traditions the cheap brand?
Any custom/semi customs that are under $700?

What about calibers? 50 vs 54? Adjustable sights vs fixed rear.

Then is say 150 yards doable with a lot of practice?

What are the basic accessories I'd need like an upgraded ram rod and powder horn?

I really should save my money and buy an modern LR rig, but that four your old me says buy a gun like Crockett had lol

Any other random bits of advice if I decide to actually do this?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
There's a guy in Salmon, ID that builds custom flintlocks... but be sitting down when you see the prices. Gorgeous rifles though, but you would need to do a lot of Davey Crocketting to justify one lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've got a TVM Early Virginian in .54 that I enjoy the heck out of. I can't imagine putting adjustable sights on a flint, but I'm sure some do. Assuming with a flint you are shooting round ball a 54 has a lot more whoop than the 50 if elk are on the menu. Id say 100 yards is doable, not 150. They are great fun and learning to shoot a flintlock well will improve all your rifle shooting.

Clarence

WKR
Lyman is the only factory rifle worth while at this point probably. RMC Ox Yoke has some pretty cool stuff to check out if you aren't a pure traditionalist. I would stay away from traditions rifles. Their locks and springs are highly problematic. Even with a .54 caliber, with a round ball you would be running low on steam to punch a elk at 150 yds. It is a awesome tradition and a huge challenge. I would probably pick up a Lyman plains or trade rifle and see how you like the sport before spending a few grand on a high end custom. Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
If you want a Pedersoli, I'd look at the Frontier or Cabelas Blue ridge (same gun). I just built a .50 cal long rifle. A Southern Mountain Rifle . All steel and iron hardware instead of shiny brass.
IMG_2558.JPG

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
Flint locks are addicting. I had a unique one years ago I’m sad I got rid of. It was a Pedersoli Kodiak Safari in .72 Caliber. Yes I said flint lock someone had swapped the percussion cap system out for flint lock. The smith I had look it over guesses they used the mechanisms off the double shotgun by Pedesoli. Doubtful it was factory, I bought it from the bargain cave at the Washington State Cabelas for $700 ish.

So I had a double rifle flint lock in 72 caliber. Sadly in NY you can only use single barrel gun for any Muzzy season so I stupidly sold it, just cause I couldn’t justify it at the time. It definitely was a conversation starter. I’m half tempted to see if I could have some one duplicate it.

But for the question I’d go .54 caliber it’s the biggest easiest caliber to find in any number. A slew of kits and completed rifles out there for it. Once you go above .54 (flint locks) it is hard to find anything in a rifle.

Fatcamp

WKR
Flint locks are addicting. I had a unique one years ago I’m sad I got rid of. It was a Pedersoli Kodiak Safari in .72 Caliber. Yes I said flint lock someone had swapped the percussion cap system out for flint lock. The smith I had look it over guesses they used the mechanisms off the double shotgun by Pedesoli. Doubtful it was factory, I bought it from the bargain cave at the Washington State Cabelas for $700 ish.

So I had a double rifle flint lock in 72 caliber. Sadly in NY you can only use single barrel gun for any Muzzy season so I stupidly sold it, just cause I couldn’t justify it at the time. It definitely was a conversation starter. I’m half tempted to see if I could have some one duplicate it.

But for the question I’d go .54 caliber it’s the biggest easiest caliber to find in any number. A slew of kits and completed rifles out there for it. Once you go above .54 (flint locks) it is hard to find anything in a rifle.

Gonna have to dock you some man points for not only selling the double .72, but failing to post a picture of said rifle. Sorry, bud. We have rules.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been awhile since I moved back to Upstate and got rid of her. So pictures would be difficult without a Delorean. But picture this 5E087D75-3C59-464C-8E19-D7BD0BB17218.jpeg
With this mechanism:DDF0A9DC-74F8-4986-959B-C00F2B0C0DA0.jpeg
Exactly like that

OP
TradLife406
If you want a Pedersoli, I'd look at the Frontier or Cabelas Blue ridge (same gun). I just built a .50 cal long rifle. A Southern Mountain Rifle . All steel and iron hardware instead of shiny brass.
View attachment 192597
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I like that wood and the lower butt stock. Just looks super cool!

87TT

WKR
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I like that wood and the lower butt stock. Just looks super cool!

Mine's a Pecatonica kit build but the Frontier or Blue Ridge is similar only walnut stock and a little shorter but the stock shape is close. Over a hundred hours in the build.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
i'd certainly go with a 54 if available. A lot less drop than a 50cal, especially if you plan on shooting 150 yards, which is very doable on deer size game. Stay away from that double barrel stuff.

blackdog of vt

Lil-Rokslider
Just keep it simple really. The production guns really aren't real nor what I would consider quality. But then again I've been building them for over a decade so my standards are quite a bit different. Round balls and paper cartridges are still heads over "modern" improvements, the old way is still the best in this case. A rifle just in parts is close to a grand to build so your ceiling is not going to make it on a custom. On the over hand a used one by an armchair builder can get you down there. As far as caliber goes I hunt with 58's and 62's, but 54 will shoot through an elk.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
thats way to much for a used GPR flinter. $550 + $50 shipping and for $60 more you can have a 54cal BRAND NEW. Used lymans do not re-sell very well. Normally you can pick up a used one for around $325-400.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider