Thoughts on hunting waders for moose pros and cons of type?

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for peoples thoughts on what type of waders for moose hunting and if you use them? Does anyone have thoughts on hip waders and the pros and cons of them. What do use, like, dont like and so forth. I have used both for fishing but not any hunting so i have concerns about spending the day hiking around in swampy areas and the lack of comfort most provide. Do you feel you need chest waders when hunting and what brands of both type are you using? Im in the market for some and just want to start a post season discussion on the topic with everyone. Thanks and looking forward to what people have to say.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Heck yeah, we live out of those things for the entire moose season here, theres no substitute for hunting rivers and sloughs, getting in and out of boats, walking through tundra, getting rained on etc. Nice chest waders are one piece of gear I absolutely wouldn't/couldn't live without during the AK moose season.

I use Simms g3 but if you don't want to spend that much, I know a few guys with the Simms freestones and they seem to like them. If you are strapped for cash, a pair of breathable caddis waders would work fine as well, I used those for like4 seasons of moose hunting before buying real waders. You could probably even get away with the Simms freestone pants if you dont want to be in waders all day.

As for boots, I'd avoid waders with built in boots, they just don't seem to offer much support, I like the simms boots, Orvis makes an ultralight bot that would work well too. I dont know if they still do, but Patagonia made a good boot for a bit, I know they pmake the patagonia/danner boot but those things are like 600 bucks.

IMO, investing in a good wader/boot system is worth the $$$, I use mine for moose and caribou, float hunts, all summer and fall for fishing and rafting, if I lost or destroyed my G3s, I'd be on the phone ordering a new set as soon as I got home.

Thess87

WKR
I don’t have much room to talk but I’d second everything he said when I was there I wore mine pretty much all day every day

I like Simms breathable, stocking foot waders.
I like them because I turn them inside out and hang them under the tarp and they
are bone dry the next morning.

The water gets deeper and deeper as butchering progresses...I think the marsh muck gets compressed.

Heck yeah, we live out of those things for the entire moose season here, theres no substitute for hunting rivers and sloughs, getting in and out of boats, walking through tundra, getting rained on etc. Nice chest waders are one piece of gear I absolutely wouldn't/couldn't live without during the AK moose season.

I use Simms g3 but if you don't want to spend that much, I know a few guys with the Simms freestones and they seem to like them. If you are strapped for cash, a pair of breathable caddis waders would work fine as well, I used those for like4 seasons of moose hunting before buying real waders. You could probably even get away with the Simms freestone pants if you dont want to be in waders all day.

As for boots, I'd avoid waders with built in boots, they just don't seem to offer much support, I like the simms boots, Orvis makes an ultralight bot that would work well too. I dont know if they still do, but Patagonia made a good boot for a bit, I know they pmake the patagonia/danner boot but those things are like 600 bucks.

IMO, investing in a good wader/boot system is worth the $$$, I use mine for moose and caribou, float hunts, all summer and fall for fishing and rafting, if I lost or destroyed my G3s, I'd be on the phone ordering a new set as soon as I got home.
Exactly what he said.. including the G3s

AKDoc

WKR
Looking for peoples thoughts on what type of waders for moose hunting and if you use them? Does anyone have thoughts on hip waders and the pros and cons of them. What do use, like, dont like and so forth. I have used both for fishing but not any hunting so i have concerns about spending the day hiking around in swampy areas and the lack of comfort most provide. Do you feel you need chest waders when hunting and what brands of both type are you using? Im in the market for some and just want to start a post season discussion on the topic with everyone. Thanks and looking forward to what people have to say.
You're asking an important question for sure.

I think you'll see that many active outdoor Alaskans are very willing to spend big bucks for quality waders because for most of us it's an investment that yields a high return over time (in many ways)...we use the heck out of waders up here.

I'm another fan of Simms stocking-foot chest-waders...next year will be year five for my G-4 waders and G-4 boots. They were a major initial cash outlay, but I'd do it all over again in an eye-blink...they are perfect for my uses. I previously had Patagonia stocking-foot chest-waders for about six years. They were fine, but I ripped them irreparably on a spring black-bear hunt...long story.

Perhaps confirming what you already know, here are a few suggestions:
(1) Not all moose hunting areas up here are the same, so start by finding out as much as you can about the topography you're facing in your scheduled hunting area. There are many very wet moose areas up here where you will be living in your waders every day, and some other relatively dryer moose areas that you may never need them at all (or very little) on the hunt.
(2) If you're drop-hunting in a low, predominantly wet hunting area with lakes, ponds, sloughs, and tundra, then you just might be living in your waders. If that is your anticipated terrain, then I strongly encourage you to bring stocking-foot chest-waders and good boots that give you secure ankle support. Walking on tundra is a new experience...and packing moose loads through sloughs and/or over tundra is exponentially strenuous. Hippers won't cut-it, and chest-waders with built in boots will likely not have enough ankle support.
(3) Also keep in mind that Alaska is pretty rough on gear, and busting brush up here can be brutal...so stronger wader material tends to be better. Regardless, if you bring chest-waders, be sure to also bring repair tape and Aquaseal.

Best of luck to you sir!

Edit: I high-lighted in bold what I said above!

Last edited:

mooster

WKR
Ditto simms G4 stocking foot and boots. I was never uncomfortable during our 15 days this year. I did hike almost daily on dry ground about a mile to access a secondary pond and they were still comfortable. It was cold almost every day so only once do I remember being sweaty, and that was after high grass brush busting for 30 mins.

In our area hip waders would have been to short for the pond and lake side edges being so soft. Also using a raft every day, it was nice to be able to sit down without worry about a wet seat.

Also post hunt Simms repaired my waders which had a self induced cut in them, at no cost, and shipped them back priority service. Luckily I had raft repair kit that let me make an unsightly temporary patch to my waders during the hunt.

Southeast

FNG
I did a float hunt last year and was in chest waders any time the boat was involved - and half the time it wasn't. I did the right thing and invested in quality Simms boots but cut costs and went with Cabela's breathable waders. I regretted it about halfway through the trip and won't make that mistake again. On the plus side, I did not have to deal with lugging those waders back home. They wound up in a dumpster in Fairbanks.

cnelk

WKR
Like mentioned above, it depends on the terrain you hunt.

I used lacrosse hippers when I went in 2016, but it was mostly willow, timber country. They worked good for keeping me dry busting thru wet brush

And of course accessing the float plane

If we draw again this year, I’ll probably use them again.

084242FC-E632-47CF-8875-D2A85B07BAFD.jpeg698971F9-2F87-4B53-9B86-51AA6F7A8AFE.jpeg

Dorny

FNG
I wore a pair of cabelas breathables with stocking feet in on our 2019 moose hunt. I loved them. wore them constantly for 7 days. we were in relatively dry terrain, and the pants held up to the brush pretty well. I don't use these much, and didnt want to spend the money for simms. My buddy bought simms though and was also happy. I'm happy i didnt spend the extra money.

Brendan

WKR
As an alternative to Simms, so far I'm a huge fan of the Orvis Pro Waders with their wading boots. Only downside, they don't come in a zip.

We used the breathable cabelas with the built in boot. I knew it may be the only time I use them so we didn’t spend the coin for a nice pair of Simms. If I were to do it again, the only thing I would have maybe changed was going to stockingfoot waders and boots. It would have been a tighter fit and maybe a little more comfortable. But overall, waders are a must in Alaska!!

One other thing, I like the chest waders over the hip waders. It made it easier for me to sit down and not get a wet butt. I paired my waders with a HH Impertech coat, and I never got wet. It made Alaska weather relatively enjoyable.

Where you hunting? I'm about 50/50 on moose hunts where I only wore waders and hunts where I just had hips for the plane and wore hiking boots the whole hunt. Same results each time as far as success.

Simms are obviously the best. I can't afford them so I wear Redington Sonic Pro waders for probably less than 1/2 the price of the Simms. Going into my 5th season with them and I like to think I wear them more than most including tons of fishing and several moose/caribou butchering jobs in em. If you have to choose, go with a quality mid-price wader and get a top end light boot with laces. Wet stocking foot waders with the tundra swallowing your feet on each step while you hump a hind quarter is a task that is much worse when you add a couple pounds of cheap boot to each foot.

Nontyp

FNG
I have a pair of wading pants I was planning on taking up next yr. Do you think that will be enough. I also have hip waders but you always feel like your boys are almost ready to get wet in hip boots.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a pair of wading pants I was planning on taking up next yr. Do you think that will be enough. I also have hip waders but you always feel like your boys are almost ready to get wet in hip boots.

You can usually get away with wading pants, I use them during the summer for fishing and lake paddling. I think you could get away with them 90% of the time.....until you have to jump out and hold the boat while somebody pulls rocks out of the jet or you need to cross a creek that’s deeper than it looks.

hodgeman

WKR
It completely depends on your location. Out of 6 moose, I used chest waders on one...because my partner shot it standing in a lake. Otherwise, all my moose have been standing high and dry.

Other folks I know hunt riverine country and live in waders for an entire season.

OP
Jdoc

Jdoc

Lil-Rokslider
So for the only moose hunt i have done i did not take or need waders just rain gear. I was on mostly hard ground north of homer hunting ponds, streams and willows. However i like to go to kodiak and fish a lot so i need a new set and also would like to look into new moose spots and that is why i am looking. It sounds like most people really feel that high quality chest waders are the way to go. For the boots i am always wearing crispi so what would suggest for a nice boot to pair with waders for fishing, hunting and having to hike? Im really enjoying reading everyone's responses and getting the bug to plan another hunt!

Simms/Gore Tex, it’s the only wader period...but I’m admittedly bias, I prefer to buy USA made.
d97e1576cc9bbf02e3727bd6e546fdb9.jpg

cf09f2f9b2dd49c47e462a74386d17a7.jpg

72284fe6acb9ee48a0a3069ffd9d8b79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColeyG

WKR
Simms G3 guide pants and G4 wading boots for me. The pants work better with my layering system and gear like, bino harness, pistol on the hip etc. I try really hard to not find myself in hunting situations where I need the extra height of my chest waders.