Thoughts on hunting waders for moose pros and cons of type?

I might be the one and only nonresident Alaska moose hunter who goes every single year possible and has never brought chest waders or even hip boots on a hunt. I do hunt in river drainages exclusively, but I don't float or raft ever. No float plane can get to my area. For water crossings I use stuff-able lightweight leg waders. All my daily hunting is done in lace-up or rubber boots period.

I only make this post to point out that knowing your anticipated terrain is everything when it comes to gear selection. Waders or hippers would be a waste of space and weight where I'm hunting moose.

VernAK

WKR
I might be the one and only nonresident Alaska moose hunter who goes every single year possible and has never brought chest waders or even hip boots on a hunt. I do hunt in river drainages exclusively, but I don't float or raft ever. No float plane can get to my area. For water crossings I use stuff-able lightweight leg waders. All my daily hunting is done in lace-up or rubber boots period.

I only make this post to point out that knowing your anticipated terrain is everything when it comes to gear selection. Waders or hippers would be a waste of space and weight where I'm hunting moose.

Tripp238

Lil-Rokslider
If hunting with a raft again, I would use the G3/G4 waders. But I just did a 12 day brown bear hunt on Afognak Island and wore Chota “hippies” with Simms G4 boots. Perfect combo with a longer rain jacket.
They were light enough I planned on keeping them in my pack for when needed but found myself doing almost the entire hunt in them due to packrafting a lake daily. If you told me I was going to climb a mountain in them and walk through hours of alders, I would think it’s crazy. But they held up really well and I had been comfortable. Only hat one pin hole over 12 days that I patched with tenacious tape and went back out.
They also fold down as gaiters but I didn’t use that method.
I gave mine to the pilot for clients that don’t bring anything, but plan to buy another set to keep for future hunts.

I do have G4 waders but didn’t want to chance tearing them up because of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugz

WKR
If hunting with a raft again, I would use the G3/G4 waders. But I just did a 12 day brown bear hunt on Afognak Island and wore Chota “hippies” with Simms G4 boots. Perfect combo with a longer rain jacket.
They were light enough I planned on keeping them in my pack for when needed but found myself doing almost the entire hunt in them due to packrafting a lake daily. If you told me I was going to climb a mountain in them and walk through hours of alders, I would think it’s crazy. But they held up really well and I had been comfortable. Only hat one pin hole over 12 days that I patched with tenacious tape and went back out.
They also fold down as gaiters but I didn’t use that method.
I gave mine to the pilot for clients that don’t bring anything, but plan to buy another set to keep for future hunts.

I do have G4 waders but didn’t want to chance tearing them up because of the cost.

Tripp238,
What's your thoughts on combining a pair of Crispi Highland Pros with a pair of Chota hippies?

Nontyp

FNG
We hunted the N Slope for 9 days chasing caribou. I wore my hippies the entire time with a pair or Merrel synthetic hikers that were a size bigger. When I did not need the hippies I pushed them down and my gaiters covered them up. The gaiters protect the bottom half of the hippies while walking through the brush with the hippies up.

For a moose hunt I would maybe get the Tundra Hippies as they are a little thicker to help with willow branches. The only problem is sitting down you still going to get a wet seat or have to sit on your knees. This is why I’m thinking about wading pants this time

Tripp238

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed with Nontyp, I wouldn’t do Crispi because I like to have the ability to cross streams and beaver dams with Chotas, so wouldn’t want anything that would get water logged and take forever to dry.
Plus they have the neoprene stocking so it would have to be a size up to work.
For me, them at would call for more a sealskin sock, crispis with gaiters scenario if not crossing water.

And also, yes sitting down calls for a glassing pad, or something like the Sitka Kodiak rain jacket, which is a great combo.

Water is the norm of us...typically I have 2 jets sleds and 2 rope come-alongs in the boat,
a couple head lamps, stocking foot waters, a Cutco doube-D knife for the thick hide,
brush loppers for cutting the rib slab, and a Stanley sharp tooth hand saw for cutting the antlers.
A moose carcass is easy to move if its floating in deep water with a couple of rope come-alongs,
but once it is dragged into shallow water then the fun begins.
Water_bull_Sept.jpgwater_bull_Aug.jpg

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
G-3 v.s Freestone
How would the Freestone compare to the G-3 on a 12 day float hunt. I plan to wear them all day both in the boat and when hunting.

So, I'm going to SEAK to hunt black bear for 10 says. Is it necessary to buy g3's for 20 days and never use them again? Or is there something out there that will suffice?
I've got plenty of rain gear, and some chest waders, but come on, $600 for a 10 day hunt for waders?

Frogg togg pilot series. Been wearing the wading pants for 6 years for fishing hunting and land surveying. Still going strong. Some Simms bros may scoff but they are a real good wader for the price.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Voyageur

WKR
Frogg togg pilot series. Been wearing the wading pants for 6 years for fishing hunting and land surveying. Still going strong. Some Simms bros may scoff but they are a real good wader for the price.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Are these what you are referring to?
Thanks.

i got simms G3 guide boots. I would personally stay away from the BOA systems just because i dont trust them and i am not sure how hard they are to fix if you break a cable. I have tried korkers before and the simms boots are just way more comfortable to me. lots more ankle support. can hike days in those things. If you are going to be living in waders during the hunt or for most of the hunt youre going to want to have some nice boots. they run about $225. Go to a fly/fishing shop and try the different boots on to see which ones fit the best. Most places will have the neoprene bootie that you can put on before you put on the wading boot. I think sportsmens carry those waders or atleast they do up here in ak.

mooster

WKR
I agree on the Simm's boots, but I chose the Flyweight to reduce weight and they're awesome. I tried another brand of boot trying to save a dime but they weren't comfortable.

AkRyan

WKR
Just a tidbit of info for everyone, I have lived here my entire life and I have never used anything past rain boots for hunting moose.....just sayin