Thumb from a index finger

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
How many guys use a thumb release for hunting? I'm due for a new release and considering trying a thumb button. Ive always used a trufire hardcore but I'm looking at the carter quickie or the carter wise choice. Any help/advice in this area would be appreciated. I tried searching for this topic but got nothing to show up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm considering it.

I let go of my nock 2 it last week though when I switched back to my old bow for a day. So don't do that.

I was shooting pretty well with it though. My wrist release is a carter quickie and I love it but I have to think a lot more to not punch the trigger on it.

I just got a thumb button release after shooting a wrist rocket since I started. Shooting a nock2it coming from a Trufire hardcore and don't see myself goin back. It feels much more comfortable drawing and anchoring and I haven't shot better before. I tried several hinges before and couldn't get used to them. I'd say shoot one and see but Im planning on hunting with mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wellsdw

WKR
I made the switch from a Scott wrist
To a whipper snapper and saw a noticeable improvement after a the settling in phase. I feel like I can set
A Heavier trigger for hunting and still be dead on.
That said, I sent my first arrow with that release went to virgina (I’m in North Carolina )

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch from a Scott index finger release to a Carter Wise Choice this spring. I love it and can’t see myself going back to an index. I plan on hunting with and don’t believe it will be a disadvantage at all to hunt with.

OP
Ndstevens

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for everyone's input and experiences so far. It's been pretty much what I expected to hear from others. I didn't want to get a thumb release and end up hating it in a hunting situation though so I figured I would talk to some people first.

TX_Diver

WKR
I don't think you'll regret it, but use the wrist strap/lanyard that comes with it for the first few weeks. And don't forget to take your finger off the trigger when you are letting down. I'm on 40 acres and didn't find one of my arrows til after the alfalfa was cut a month later...

HookUp

WKR
A thumb release can be as easily punched as a wrist release. I would high;y recommend a hinge and strap or thumb. John Dudley has the best system and learning. I went full circle, strap to thumb to tension and back to a strap. I really prefer the strap for hunting and practice with a hinge to keep my brain guessing. I don't understand the levels of target panics. If I yanked my rifle trigger I would never hit my target, no idea why so many archers do it.

I shoot a Stan SX3 for hunting, but I first switched from a new wrist index finger to the Stan Element (resistance activated) for training proper form. I still practice with the Element. Once I get fairly consistent, I pickup the SX3.

John Dudley is the man on releases. His version would be The Silverback (resistance activated) and the Nock 2 It (thumb trigger).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot a Stan SX3 for hunting, but I first switched from a new wrist index finger to the Stan Element (resistance activated) for training proper form. I still practice with the Element. Once I get fairly consistent, I pickup the SX3.

John Dudley is the man on releases. His version would be The Silverback (resistance activated) and the Nock 2 It (thumb trigger).

FYI, that’s $200 per release. Either can be found cheaper when you shop around. That’s why I went with the Stanislawskis. They also offer the PerfX series in both activation styles. The PerfX and Dudley’s carry the same geometry regardless of activation style.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
I switched as well. I also chose an sx3. Of all the money I've spent with archery, it is THE best purchase I've ever made.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GCAL

FNG
Also went to the sx3 and won't look back. Helped with my target panic too.

I switched to a thumb fixed my problem Hunting i would get a shot and squeeze the wrist style finger release this would move the arrow. The thumb setup by design was a fix

Switched from a wrist to the 2Smooth (hated it) and pretty quickly traded to a Silverback and a Nock 2 It. I had those for a while but couldn’t get enough “purchase” with just two fingers while pulling back and sold/traded them for a Perfex Resistance and a Perfex Thumb. Absolutely love them and would only think about swapping one for a large (have an XL and can’t decide if it’s slightly too big or just right). The Perfex offers much more adjustability than the Nock On ones (angle of thumb trigger, length of post, 2, 3 or 4 finger) and they’re exactly the same footprint so switching between them is a breeze.

There’s an argument that a two-finger release is more consistent, but I haven’t had a problem easing off (opening) my ring and pinky after drawing the bow, so maybe I’m getting the best of both worlds?

Txhunter85

Lil-Rokslider
How many guys use a thumb release for hunting? I'm due for a new release and considering trying a thumb button. Ive always used a trufire hardcore but I'm looking at the carter quickie or the carter wise choice. Any help/advice in this area would be appreciated. I tried searching for this topic but got nothing to show up.

I switched to a thumb style (carter too simple) from an index a few years ago and couldn’t be happier, and my shooting improved dramatically as well. I suffered from some minor target panic while shooting an index release and switching to the thumb style helped me out with that a lot. once I got used to putting my release in a secure location during my hunts it was great. Also keep a spare release in my pack In case something happened my main one.

I shoot the Stan SX3 as well. I am more accurate with it than my wrist strap release. My only problem is keeping up with it. I have tried clipping it to my d-loop while walking in, but I like my trigger light. The slightest bump and it falls off. I just have a designated pocket for it now. It’s not too bad.

D_shear

FNG
I switched to the silverback nock2it combo and I have no complaints other than don’t let someone try your handhelds without a strap on them. It’s quite the sight to see someone send a release down range!