Tikka prefit

WDE91

FNG
Looking for some guidance on prefit barrels.
I've decided I want a 24" 280Ai barrel for my Tikka.

Who has had good luck with which brand?
Anyone aware of any Black Friday specials coming up on barrels?

Thank you.

EcoastDG

FNG
I’ve had good luck with Carbon 6. I have 3 barrels;One on my main hunting rifle, a Tikka 7 Rem Mag, one on a 280 AI and a 300 Saum. All have been accurate.

I did a Proof research in 6.5 prc. My reloads are sub half moa and all the break in loads were one inch groups. I used Re23 with 140 ELDM going 2900 fps in a 22" barrel.

nimrod_gn

FNG
I did a Proof research in 6.5 prc. My reloads are sub half moa and all the break in loads were one inch groups. I used Re23 with 140 ELDM going 2900 fps in a 22" barrel.
Can't get Proof prefit in 208 AI. I have a Tikka based 280 AI with Proof barrel in process right now but gunsmith is having to chamber it.

sdupontjr

WKR
I’ve had good luck with Carbon 6. I have 3 barrels;One on my main hunting rifle, a Tikka 7 Rem Mag, one on a 280 AI and a 300 Saum. All have been accurate.
How do you like that 7mag barrel. I debating on pulling the trigger on one for my T3 lite. Also after talking to them, their shop is not far from my house, about 30 min. Also what twist rate did you go with?

I'll second that
Skip the hipster fad and get a SS sporter contour, been there done that and I've circled back to steel barrels.
Mcgowan makes an affordable decent quality tikka prefit, Benchmark, Bartlein, Rock Creek, and Krieger make stupid good barrels if you're really particular

Gila

WKR
I'll second that
Skip the hipster fad and get a SS sporter contour, been there done that and I've circled back to steel barrels.
Mcgowan makes an affordable decent quality tikka prefit, Benchmark, Bartlein, Rock Creek, and Krieger make stupid good barrels if you're really particular
I plan on twisting them on myself...never wanted to mess with a barrel nut. With a fixed shoulder (no nut) the barrel maker has to have the headspace “dead nuts” on with the proper torque. From what I have read, McGowan wants to fit the barrel to the action because if the action is too far off spec the head space won’t be correct. Of course with the barrel nut, the headspace can be adjusted as needed from what they say anyway. I want SS not carbon...I believe I will need a heavy sporter contour of sorts to get the fluting I want.

EcoastDG

FNG
How do you like that 7mag barrel. I debating on pulling the trigger on one for my T3 lite. Also after talking to them, their shop is not far from my house, about 30 min. Also what twist rate did you go with?
I like it. It’s a 24 inch 1/9 twist. It has shot all factory ammunition within an inch. It shoots Unknown munitions 180 Eldms and 175 Berger Elites pretty much into a ragged hole. My own reloads with ADG brass and H1000 are almost as good.

I plan on twisting them on myself...never wanted to mess with a barrel nut. With a fixed shoulder (no nut) the barrel maker has to have the headspace “dead nuts” on with the proper torque. From what I have read, McGowan wants to fit the barrel to the action because if the action is too far off spec the head space won’t be correct. Of course with the barrel nut, the headspace can be adjusted as needed from what they say anyway. I want SS not carbon...I believe I will need a heavy sporter contour of sorts to get the fluting I want.
They will make you a shouldered prefit, tikka actions are precise enough for it.
They're making one for my tikka right now

MattiG

FNG
It's probably my own lack of amateur gunsmithing skill, but I'm not getting perfect headspacing out of the box on a shouldered pre-fit for my 300WM. Bolt closing on No-Go gauge, but not with a piece of scotch tape. Torqued all the way to 75 ft/lbs.

Gila

WKR
It's probably my own lack of amateur gunsmithing skill, but I'm not getting perfect headspacing out of the box on a shouldered pre-fit for my 300WM. Bolt closing on No-Go gauge, but not with a piece of scotch tape. Torqued all the way to 75 ft/lbs.
Why did you use scotch tape?

MattiG

FNG
because I didn't have a "field" gauge and I wanted to see if I was anywhere in the ballpark.

Gila

WKR
because I didn't have a "field" gauge and I wanted to see if I was anywhere in the ballpark.
Scotch tape is approx. .003 thick....Guess you will need a field gauge anyway. You may be outta luck. If you are going to handload, there are volumes written about what the headspace should be for acceptable case stretch and accuracy.

JoeDirt

WKR
I did the same thing with my Go Gauge and prefit barrel to check headspace. The scotch tape i used was about .002" thick. I estimated my headspace to me exactly right in the middle of the +- .010" sammi headspace spec. I think reloaders what it closer to .003" over minimum to save on brass.

Yours might be a tad long, I would send the barrel back in. Most will warranty if its out of spec. If its not out of spec your receiver should be trued up so any new barrels will be within spec.