Tikka "Rokslide Special", let's see 'em

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Tape the windage knob, problem solved
I tried that. It helps but not much. I actually have a design for a turret that you can easily engage to adjust then disengage to act like a cap. Just haven't had time to fully implement it.
Or the appropriately sized rubber pipe cap/chair leg cover.
How does a cap help the turret from getting bumped and adjusted?

Removing the turret and taping or capping the windage on my SWFA scope didn't keep brass from hitting it. Maybe I just got unlucky with the ejection angle on my Tikka. I had high rings and a rubber cap on the windage turret and I as still getting brass bouncing back into the chamber every now and then. I ended up moving the SWFA to a different rifle and throwing a different scope on the Tikka.

I tried that. It helps but not much. I actually have a design for a turret that you can easily engage to adjust then disengage to act like a cap. Just haven't had time to fully implement it.

How does a cap help the turret from getting bumped and adjusted?
If you back the set screws out so they don’t engage and then tape, you will not have any worry about the windage changing, and they don’t need to be backed out very far.

Of course it’s not a perfect solution, but it’s a solution

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
My own personal iteration of an RSS. Cheap cerakoted factory stock of EBay, stainless sporter 1-8 twist .223 barrel cut down to 18”. I hogged out the barrel channel to float it a little better with a socket and 80 grit. Also installed Lumley pillars and bedded directly above and below them with Pro Bed 2000. In went a Lumley OS recoil lug too. Mountain Tactical bottom metal with a 6 round factory mag also installed. Cranked the factory trigger down to 2 lbs even, breaks like glass. Topped it off with UM low rings and a NF SHV 3-10. Slapped on a Outdoorsman’s Pic rail to mount the MDT bipod. Budget build that I was real happy with how it ended up looking. Hope it shoots as good as it looks, plan to find out very soon.
Built with lots of quality first and second hand parts.
IMG_1184.jpeg

Last edited:

PC356

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
My own personal iteration of an RSS. Cheap cerakoted factory stock of EBay, stainless sporter 1-8 twist .223 barrel cut down to 18”. I hogged out the barrel channel to float it a little better with a socket and 80 grit. Also installed Lumley pillars and bedded directly above and below them with Pro Bed 2000. In went a Lumley OS recoil lug too. Mountain Tactical bottom metal with a 6 round factory mag also installed. Cranked the factory trigger down to 2 lbs even, breaks like glass. Topped it off with UM low rings and a NF SHV 3-10. Slapped on a Outdoorsman’s Pic rail to mount the MDT bipod. Budget build that I was real happy with how it ended up looking. Hope it shoots as good as it looks, plan to find out very soon.
Built with lots of quality first and second hand parts.
View attachment 693973
Pretty stoked on how it groups, definitely more capable than me. At 100 yds 75 gr Hornady Match BTHPs and 77 gr 5.56 Black Hills TMKs are within a half inch of each other. Had considered opening up the barrel channel more around the chamber area but think I’ll leave it be.

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    473.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1208.jpeg
    IMG_1208.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 45

Mikey_B79

FNG
My RSS is a Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag, Sportsmatch rings clamping on a Viper HS 4-16. Wearing a limbsaver pad and bottom metal from PR Precision. I'm not sure on the weight, but... not a lot. I also stuck the vertical grip on it, really like how it changes the ergonomics for rested shooting (and most shots are either over bags at the range or a backpack in the field).

1000001751.jpg

My version of "The Special":

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless
.223 Rem, 1:8 twist, cut to 18", threaded 9/16x24
Silencerco Omega 36M in K-configuration
Area 419 Universal Adapter
SWFA 3-9X42mm HD Scope
Sportsmatch Rings
UM Bubble Level
Tikka Varmint Stock (plenty of room for that barrel!) with factory cheek rest
Tikka Vertical Grip
Tikka 6rd. Magazine
Custom Krylon/Rustoleum Paint job (1st time I've ever painted a stock) 😉😎

Attachments

• 20240406_171635.jpg
    20240406_171635.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 72
What's the cheapest y'all are seeing on stainless t3x's in .223? JRTXB312

Seeing 750ish new through some vendors via Gunbroker and Wikiarms, wondering if that's the best I'll see.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
My version of "The Special":

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless
.223 Rem, 1:8 twist, cut to 18", threaded 9/16x24
Silencerco Omega 36M in K-configuration
Area 419 Universal Adapter
SWFA 3-9X42mm HD Scope
Sportsmatch Rings
UM Bubble Level
Tikka Varmint Stock (plenty of room for that barrel!) with factory cheek rest
Tikka Vertical Grip
Tikka 6rd. Magazine
Custom Krylon/Rustoleum Paint job (1st time I've ever painted a stock) 😉😎
And here's its fraternal twin. 20" 6.5cm with 3-15x SWFA. Textured spray paint makes for a great Roughtec feel!

Attachments

• 20240331_204533.jpg
    20240331_204533.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
IMG_20240407_103533.jpgMy Rokslide Special I just put together and shot for the first time. T3x in .243win 1:8 twist with a SWFA 3-9x (courtesy of the classifieds) and Sportsmatch T084. Gave it a rather aggressive free float and put a vertical grip on it. Very pleased with the rifle in my limited testing so far. Shot sub moa with the old Winchester 100gr Powerpoints and at moa with Federal 100gr. Softpoints I had laying around.