Tikka romance confessions wanted

NoWiser

WKR
What is wrong with the safety?

1. You need to take it off "safe" to both chamber and unload a round.

2. The position of the safety makes it very easy to catch on brush and get bumped off of "safe". Out west I do not chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot. In Minnesota I do a fair bit of still-hunting, which requires a round to be chambered. On more than one instance, brush has bumped it off of safe while busting through an alder or spruce thicket. Each time it has been immediately caught by myself because I can't go 3 seconds carrying any gun without fingering the safety to make sure it's in the correct position. For a new hunter that doesn't yet have that instinct, it's one factor that could play into an accident.

Honestly, it's my only gripe with the Tikka. For me, it's not a big issue. For my kids or a new hunter, I'm not going to risk it.

Ratbeetle

WKR
They got it right with the CM. 260 doesn’t compare.

Lol. They are essentially the same cartridge...if anything the 260 has more velocity. There is nothing wrong with the CM, but I swear people think the sun rises and sets with that cartridge. Where the CM excels is factory load offerings and rifles with faster twists to accommodate the heavy-for-caliber bullets. The truth is, if Remington had done a better job supporting the 260, the CM wouldn't exist.

Whatever did the world do for .264s before Hornady's marketing campaign...6.5x47 lapua, 6.5x55, 260rem, 6.5x284, 6.5 rem mag, 6.5x06, 264wm.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Honda Accord of rifles.

Smoke yourself.

I was thinking more so the Toyota Tacoma of rifles

Much better.

2. The position of the safety makes it very easy to catch on brush and get bumped off of "safe".

For a new hunter that doesn't yet have that instinct, it's one factor that could play into an accident.

To your points

1). This should be a non issue. Before someone of any age is turned loose with a gun, they should be conditioned to habitually use good gun handling. Therefore it doesn’t matter that they have to take a safety off to chamber.

2). This happens will all safety designs. I use Tikkas for multiple months a year but can not actually remember it every happening to one. However all rifles will do this- R700’s, M70’s, Kimbers, Brownings, Savages- all of them can and will get a safety caught up and flipped off. That’s why Point #1 above has to happen.

Your last point about new hunters and instincts- that’s the thing that should worry people. Why would you take someone into an excited, stressful environment with a gun, when proper gun handling isn’t an instinct?

Lol. They are essentially the same cartridge...if anything the 260 has more velocity. There is nothing wrong with the CM, but I swear people think the sun rises and sets with that cartridge. Where the CM excels is factory load offerings and rifles with faster twists to accommodate the heavy-for-caliber bullets.

That was his point. It doesn’t matter what the 260 could have been, it wasn’t and it isn’t. If you have two identical performing rounds, one is a chit show from the manufacture, and one is setup correctly with factory rifles throated, chambered, twisted, and OAL mag capacity correct to use the best bullets, along with excellent readily available factory ammo.... it is only people that need to feel “special” that would choose the first round over the second.

If you have a 260 setup correct and you reload, there is little reason to go out and switch. If you don’t, there are no logical reasons to choose a 260 over a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Ratbeetle

WKR
That was his point. It doesn’t matter what the 260 could have been, it wasn’t and it isn’t. If you have two identical performing rounds, one is a chit show from the manufacture, and one is setup correctly with factory rifles throated, chambered, twisted, and OAL mag capacity correct to use the best bullets, along with excellent readily available factory ammo.... it is only people that need to feel “special” that would choose the first round over the second.

If you have a 260 setup correct and you reload, there is little reason to go out and switch. If you don’t, there are no logical reasons to choose a 260 over a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Ok and that has what to do exactly with anything that I posted?

Saying that the CM "got it right" and the 260 can't compare is flat out wrong. If he meant Hornady got it right with marketing and factory support then that is what he should have said. The CM has better support...it is not a superior performing round in any way, shape or form.

2. The position of the safety makes it very easy to catch on brush and get bumped off of "safe". Out west I do not chamber a round until I'm ready to shoot. In Minnesota I do a fair bit of still-hunting, which requires a round to be chambered. On more than one instance, brush has bumped it off of safe while busting through an alder or spruce thicket. Each time it has been immediately caught by myself because I can't go 3 seconds carrying any gun without fingering the safety to make sure it's in the correct position. For a new hunter that doesn't yet have that instinct, it's one factor that could play into an accident.

Honestly, it's my only gripe with the Tikka. For me, it's not a big issue. For my kids or a new hunter, I'm not going to risk it.

I had the same concerns about the tikka safety before I actually used one. for point 1. - I concluded that loaded and unloading you are paying the most attention to the gun that you likely will the entire time... and in practice has been less of an issue then I thought it would be.

for 2. - form said it, but that can happen with any gun - I have had it happen while using my model 70... I will say, I did actually like the savage 3 potion safety quite a lot when I had it - but it had it's own unique issues and was almost too easy to move and couple get bumped on packs etc. I make it a habit to reach back with my right hand and feel my safety every 5 mins or so while hunting if I have one in the chamber.

Where, IMO, the TIkka safety wins out over the savage (only the 2 pos) or remington safeties is that it actually will lock the bolt closed... this IS a big deal to me and I have seen animals lost because the bolt on (in this case a savage axis... but would happen to a 700 as well) was slightly lifted... when the trigger was squeezed, the bolt slammed down and there was not enough force to ignite the round.

I have seen online an aftermarket 3 position safety for a tikka... I would be hesitant to mess with a safety... but YMMV.

BCD

WKR
Having to take the gun off Safe to cycle or unload is just a very poor design and one of the things I also did not like about the Tikka. Yes everyone needs to practice safe gun handling but manufacturers should incorporate safety into designs as well.

Fatcamp

WKR
A rifle that has a bolt that moves out of battery when on safe sucks. You can have it. I'll use a Tikka and self-control.

Sled

WKR
Having to take the gun off Safe to cycle or unload is just a very poor design and one of the things I also did not like about the Tikka. Yes everyone needs to practice safe gun handling but manufacturers should incorporate safety into designs as well.

i have the sako action on my fierce and it has a small bypass button to allow the bolt to come up only when it is pressed. i thought i would use it more but i find myself simply dropping the mag and taking the safety off to unload. i prefer my tikka safety so far.

NoWiser

WKR
To your points

1). This should be a non issue. Before someone of any age is turned loose with a gun, they should be conditioned to habitually use good gun handling. Therefore it doesn’t matter that they have to take a safety off to chamber.

2). This happens will all safety designs. I use Tikkas for multiple months a year but can not actually remember it every happening to one. However all rifles will do this- R700’s, M70’s, Kimbers, Brownings, Savages- all of them can and will get a safety caught up and flipped off. That’s why Point #1 above has to happen.

Your last point about new hunters and instincts- that’s the thing that should worry people. Why would you take someone into an excited, stressful environment with a gun, when proper gun handling isn’t an instinct?

Your points are correct, in a perfect world. Unfortunately, nobody is perfect. Everyone will make a dumb mistake at some point in their life, and kids are no exception.

I'm not going to argue with you. After over 15 years of owning a Tikka as my exclusive rifle I've come to the conclusion that, as much as I like it, it is not a gun I'd give to my kids when they start hunting. Something like a Browning X Bolt, to me, seems like a much safer design. Your opinion may differ, and that's fine. That's why they are called opinions.

16Bore

WKR
Ok and that has what to do exactly with anything that I posted?

Saying that the CM "got it right" and the 260 can't compare is flat out wrong. If he meant Hornady got it right with marketing and factory support then that is what he should have said. The CM has better support...it is not a superior performing round in any way, shape or form.

No, it’s not. If you had one of each, and they were shooting 123’s @ 2,900 FPS into 1 MOA groups, then yes they are the same.

But if you’re wanting heavier bullets that require a faster twist and a longer mag box to load at longer lengths, the there is no comparison. Yeah, you can build it anyway you want. I don’t see any manufacture that’s going to put the effort into that type of round for a 260 since it wouldn’t work in 99% of what’s offered in that chambering.

Put two identical rifles on the rack for the same price, one in each chambering and see where the demand is. Better is better.

16Bore

WKR

Ratbeetle

WKR
No, it’s not. If you had one of each, and they were shooting 123’s @ 2,900 FPS into 1 MOA groups, then yes they are the same.

But if you’re wanting heavier bullets that require a faster twist and a longer mag box to load at longer lengths, the there is no comparison. Yeah, you can build it anyway you want. I don’t see any manufacture that’s going to put the effort into that type of round for a 260 since it wouldn’t work in 99% of what’s offered in that chambering.

Put two identical rifles on the rack for the same price, one in each chambering and see where the demand is. Better is better.

Of course you won't see that since Hornady's social media game was on point right when PRS style comps were all the rage and everyone fancied themselves snipers. Right place, right time.

I've already conceded 6.5cm is a fine cartridge with more factory support making it a better choice for a guy wanting to shoot factory ammuntiton. What I won't concede is that it's somehow ballistically superior to 260rem...because that's BS.

A handloader will make 260rem outperform 6.5cm all day long. I handload and don't care about what flavor of the month ammo walmart is stocking.

I'll stop hijacking this thread now. Anyone who cares to know can look up ballistic info for both cartridges on their own, it's not a secret. Even with aics mag box constraints, 260rem has a velocity edge.

16Bore

WKR
Ballistically superior? The same bullet going the same speed does the same things.

Velocity doesn’t mean shit when a barrel isn’t twisted fast enough to stabilize a bullet. Which is kinda the whole point. You can custom a 260 six ways to Sunday and handload all day long.

Or buy a 6.5 CM that was done right the first time. Jiminyfuqq it’s not long division.

Ratbeetle

WKR
Ballistically superior? The same bullet going the same speed does the same things.

Velocity doesn’t mean shit when a barrel isn’t twisted fast enough to stabilize a bullet. Which is kinda the whole point. You can custom a 260 six ways to Sunday and handload all day long.

Or buy a 6.5 CM that was done right the first time. Jiminyfuqq it’s not long division.

You don't say! So 260rem compares after all.

First it was 260 doesn't compare, then it was the mag box...now we're at the barrel. Kind of ironic that's the big hangup now since there is a multi-page thread here with semi custom tikkas, many of which are wearing new barrels. And seeing how many tikka barrel twists suck anyway.

Again...you're right. 260rem is handicapped by the offered barrel twist options and if I was looking for a turn key, mild 6.5, the CM would be the ticket. How many times do I need to repeat that?

But if a guy was going custom or rebarreling, which jugding by the plethora of custom rifle questions here is something many enjoy doing, 260rem makes just as much sense as 6.5cm.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Of course you won't see that since Hornady's social media game was on point right

I keep seeing this by people. Can you please point to all the “promoting” by Hornady? The Creedmoor has been around for 12-13 years and was not designed for PRS. Ironically the 260 was the rage at the time but had all the issues it still has, which is why the 6.5 superseded it.

I’m aquatinted with the people responsible for it and I don’t remember any advertising. It wasn’t until hunters and writers started realizing that the 6.5 could replace the 243/260/7-08/308 in use that it became normal to hear about it. Writers and rifle manufacturers especially went wild when reviewing rifles because it tends to be the most accurate chambering.

It’s just an interesting thing to me all the Creedmoor hate. It’s a freaking bullet and gas tank that does everything handloaders and rifles builders have been doing to optimize the system, but with readily available $25 factory ammunition.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

16Bore

WKR
Somebody put Red Bull on his Capt’n Crunch this morning.

#ifyoulikeyour260youcankeepit

Ratbeetle

WKR
I keep seeing this by people. Can you please point to all the “promoting” by Hornady? The Creedmoor has been around for 12-13 years and was not designed for PRS. Ironically the 260 was the rage at the time but had all the issues it still has, which is why the 6.5 superseded it.

I’m aquatinted with the people responsible for it and I don’t remember any advertising. It wasn’t until hunters and writers started realizing that the 6.5 could replace the 243/260/7-08/308 in use that it became normal to hear about it. Writers and rifle manufacturers especially went wild when reviewing rifles because it tends to be the most accurate chambering.

It’s just an interesting thing to me all the Creedmoor hate. It’s a freaking bullet and gas tank that does everything handloaders and rifles builders have been doing to optimize the system, but with readily available $25 factory ammunition.

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

Maybe not PRS specifically but according to Hornady, it was most certainly designed for comp shooting. Do I need to post a picture direct from my Hornady manual?

I don't hate the CM...in fact, I'd like to try one in the 6mm variety. What I hate is the ignorance that has accompanied the cartridge. Guys that couldn't spell ballistics a couple years ago buy a 6.5cm and are suddenly an authority on all things long range. It's annoying. Need a cartridge for cape buffalo or for moose at 1000 yards...6.5cm it is! Hyperbole of course, but the hype is stupid.

16Bore

WKR
Ah....the truth revealed. You did it, they Googled it.

You should hear the flatbrims talk about AR’s

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Maybe not PRS specifically but according to Hornady, it was most certainly designed for comp shooting. Do I need to post a picture direct from my Hornady manual?

Yes it was designed for competition, but Hornady didn’t “advertise” it all that much. Again, can you point me to where all this promoting is/was?

You’re annoyed by a gas tank and bullet? I get it- people are stupid. So what. People are ignorant about Leupolds and Vortex and BDC’s, and reticles, and bullet, and... on and on.

Creedmoor derangement syndrome is a thing.