Tikka T3 7mm PRC

trolson90

FNG
Did you ever do this? I am looking at doing something very similar. I was not really sure if I needed a 7 Rem Mag, or if the 300 WM action would work.
As has been said, either will work. I'm building mine off a 300 WM. Stock should finally be here this weekend. I ordered a 22" carbon barrel from Preferred Barrel Blanks and an AG Alpine Hunter stock back in January. I've had the barreled action since Easter and it's been killing me. Hopefully this AG stock was worth the wait.

Building mine in 7mm prc right now. Used a 7mm rem mag Tikka I got cheap on gun broker as the donor.
22” proof Tikka pre-fit
Lumley machine ti handle, bolt shroud, and recoil lug
mesa precision altitude stock in alpine
Meraki machine self timing ti muzzlebreak
Mountain tactical 12-24 ounce trigger spring
LRI bolt flute in wrought iron with black cerakote.
Will be topped with a nightforce
Haven’t done the barrel switch yet or cerakoted the action body yet. Will update as build progresses
Was able to do the barrel swap without a gunsmith. Heat and liquid wrench.

Attachments

• IMG_6277.jpeg
    IMG_6277.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 143

srdeleon

FNG
My Tikka with 22" Proof 7mm PRC barrel
37cef1f83c0625df88292fce17b269df.jpg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Did you ever do this? I am looking at doing something very similar. I was not really sure if I needed a 7 Rem Mag, or if the 300 WM action would work.
I haven’t, it’s still on my mind but I’m also thinking about just saving the money for hunts. I don’t need the 7 prc by any means it’s just a want thing. If I do end up rebarreling I’m gonna go with a steel factory contour so I can keep the stock and save that money.

Any one build a Tikka T3 7mm PRC yet? I ordered a proof barrel and muzzle break. I have an older Tikka T3 in 7mm rem mag that will soon be a 7mm PRC and trying to get some ideas on a stock. Thinking about MDT HNT 26 folding Chassis for Tikka. If you have built one show off some pictures if you do not mid.
I'm looking at doing the same thing- did your rifle go together ok, and were there any challenges?

OP
H

Hausser

FNG
I'm looking at doing the same thing- did your rifle go together ok, and were there any challenges
I'm looking at doing the same thing- did your rifle go together ok, and were there any challenges?
I had a gun smith do all the work. There was an issue with the proof barrel per my gun smith, instead of sending barrel back I had them machine it. Not 100% sure what the issue was.The old barrel removal was a pain per them.

srdeleon

FNG
My Tikka went together flawlessly. Gunsmith checked headspade and was very happy, even though he was hesitant about the prefit. Unfortunately, I never shot it. That rifle found a new home yesterday. My build started at a Roughtech 7mm rem mag.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I'm new to the Tikka world so excuse me if this is a silly question. I'm hearing that tikka uses only one action length? So can I do a barrel swap on my 6.5 prc to 7 prc? Doesn't the 6.5 use a magnum bolt face?

NSI

WKR
I'm new to the Tikka world so excuse me if this is a silly question. I'm hearing that tikka uses only one action length? So can I do a barrel swap on my 6.5 prc to 7 prc? Doesn't the 6.5 use a magnum bolt face?
Yes.

You'll need to swap to a long action bolt stop but the bolt face and action size are the same. The other condition would be magazine length, and consequently the size of your stock which is presumably inlet for the short magazines.

-J

Yes.

You'll need to swap to a long action bolt stop but the bolt face and action size are the same. The other condition would be magazine length, and consequently the size of your stock which is presumably inlet for the short magazines.

-J
Thanks. Is the bolt stop switch simple? So buying a stock with a long action inlet would be necessary as well.

Dunky

WKR
Thanks. Is the bolt stop switch simple? So buying a stock with a long action inlet would be necessary as well.
the bolt stop is easy. Just a pin holding it. The tikka actions are all the same size as are stock inlets, just have to get the right barrel channel inlet for what you have on the stock.

NSI

WKR
the bolt stop is easy. Just a pin holding it. The tikka actions are all the same size as are stock inlets, just have to get the right barrel channel inlet for what you have on the stock.
Sure, but bottom metal will be different for short and long actions.

-J

Gonewest

WKR
I'm sure that's sometimes true. For my MDT HNT26 sadly it's not.

-J
Your HNT26 is chassis which doesn’t have a bottom metal. It’s essentially built into the stock. For a traditional stock the takes a tikka bottom metal, the bottom metal is the same regardless of long or short action.

I have a good deal lined up for an IOTA EKO stock but it's inletted for CTR bottom metal. Will this not work with a t3x 7mm prc? From what I can find the CTR is short action only