Tikka T3x Lite?

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
I'm primarily a bow hunter, but wanted a do it all rifle. ( If such a thing exist) figured most likely a deer gun. Landed on the tikka t3x in 6.5 C. Ive taken a couple deer with it never elk but my A tag is good for cows if I don't kill an elk with a bow. I would be comfortable using it. I don't think in it's price point it's beatable. If I were a more dedicated rifle guy I would do some upgrades but I can buy factory eld x ammo and kill stuff out to 500 yards with a little practice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Big Tikka fan since '05.
I suggest looking at the price of factory ammo as a consideration, if you don't plan on getting into the reloading rabbit hole. I have a 300 WSM and wish I had gone with a 30-06 as the ammo is often half the cost and the advantage the WSM brings is not really "all that" within my hunting range. Limbsaver recoil pad and a trigger spring and you will be happy....IMO.

I have the t3x lite in 7mm rem mag and putting a Limbsaver on it made a huge difference. Other than that it's bone stock.
I threw a limbsaver on mine as well. Also had it threaded for a brake. Prior to that it was dreadful to shoot solely based on the stock weight of the rifle

Gila

WKR
In 2005 I bought a T3 in .270. I have never missed with it. Always one shot and done. A .270 is a do everything caliber, cheaper to shoot and versatile. It has some recoil but I don’t really notice it. I have never had a need, nor did I ever want to, modify anything. I just sling it over my shoulder and go.

I want a 30 cal magnum, just because. Last month i ordered a T3X in 300 WSM but couldn’t find any ammo, so ordered a 300 win mag instead. I’ve never been recoil sensitive, although my 870 slug gun will get your attention. Tikka has changed the stock and recoil pad on the T3X. Also, my barrel is 24 inches with a 1:10 twist. I don’t have the rifle yet, but I did buy a limbsaver pad. A brake would be nice for practice, but I don’t want to use one out hunting.

Mayjeffc

FNG
I own a tikka t3x 300 WM. I do reload. I’ve owned it for a year and have about 1300 rounds down the barrel. With factory barrel my reloads average 3/4” groups. Excellent for hunting The only upgrades I did was a bell and Carlson stock and atlas bottom metal area 419 hellfire brake. I went bell and Carlson cuz it’s no BS lightest affordable quality stock out there. My rifle has hit 24” rocks at 1652 yrds set up as it is...no reason you will need to pull the factory barrel off and buy and $400 aftermarket right away...1300 rounds of 180gn Berger elite hunters and some Hornady and some Sierra mixed in and she still shoots 8” groups at 1000.....I shoot this distance for fun and tuning my rifle. It did the job on a mule deer yesterday at 21 yds on a stalk from 800 yds. You will be fine with a factory t3x
f538116772ae8550417db41feba475eb.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Did the threading end up being 5/8 or 1/2? Looking at doing this same set up in 7mm rm.

WYCFM1

WKR
Still the factory length? Or did you have to cut some off? I have a 7mmRM that I'm looking at threading, and not sure which pitch or if I want to shorten the length at all.

I had a t3x super lite so it had a fluted barrel...did not and could not shorten barrel so had to go with 1/2x28

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m probably going to keep it stick for this go round as I’ve told myself I won’t spend a fortune on note gear until I actually start bringing home meat. Now that philosophy hasn’t really helped me avoid a ton of upgrades BUT, I think in this case a stick should probably be good enough to start out. Thoughts?
Theres literally no reason to do half the mods to them that most people do. Most of them increase weight and don't make them anymore accurate. The beauty of Tikka rifles is moderate price for a fairly light and accurate factory rifle. Sportsmatch Rings, a good scope, possibly a cheek riser, and go hunt.

I grew up shooting Rem 870 and mossberg 500 with slugs, buckshot, turkey loads and Goose loads. Recoil of a 300 win Mag Tikka is a pretty easy in comparison. My now adult Daughter shoots a Tikka in 30-06 with shortened stock with no issue. Wimpy compared to her 12 gauge Mossberg 500 youth model 6 pound gun with turkey loads. She has been shooing both for years. Tikka's shoot great and are easy to carry and handle. Kids and I have never missed with our Tikkas! Put a limbsaver recoil pad on them and go hunting.

Attachments

• Molly Steve Joe Co 2021 Mule deer .jpg
    Molly Steve Joe Co 2021 Mule deer .jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 70

ToolMann

WKR
We have 2. T3 in 30.06 and T3X Superlite in 7mm-08. Both stock except Limbsaver recoil pads and "custom" paint job on the 30.06 stock. I'm a big fan.

Seeknelk

WKR
T3x in basically any chambering will do what you want. The the reasons to go with a 6.5 CM are many and practical. Same can be said for 308, 30/06 or 270. However , everyone shoots better with less recoil and with piles of ammo that is reasonable in price ( sorta) and loads from 156 bergers to 120 Winchester , etc it's easy to spend more time shooting and less time futzing about.

Get a swfa 6x mil-quad and sportsmatch rings, or a good rail and rings. Degrease all screw and blue locktite everything, free float barrel a little extra, add the vertical grip, a yo Dave trigger spring to lightn trigger if desired and do your damndest to shoot out the barrel.

Here is my daughters Tikka T3x lite chambered in 7mm-08. The rifle shot great out of the box but kicked a bit for her. So I had the barrel threaded and added a Hawkins 3 port brake. As you can see, we didn't stop there. I enjoy shooting it as well, so I bought one in 7mm RM and am in the process of doing the same to mine. Except I added a 4 port Super Baby Beast from muzzle brakes and more.
Her upgrades include:
1. Limb Saver Recoil Pad
2. Hawkins 3 port Brake
3. Cerakote barrel and action
4. Painted factory stock
5. Talley rings
6. Leopold VX-3
6b0f529ae0e52af3e9ab634d1137aca0.jpg
e0baa0ef9a666abcbca3bd8c8e9e45d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my daughters Tikka T3x lite chambered in 7mm-08. The rifle shot great out of the box but kicked a bit for her. So I had the barrel threaded and added a Hawkins 3 port brake. As you can see, we didn't stop there. I enjoy shooting it as well, so I bought one in 7mm RM and am in the process of doing the same to mine. Except I added a 4 port Super Baby Beast from muzzle brakes and more.
Her upgrades include:
1. Limb Saver Recoil Pad
2. Hawkins 3 port Brake
3. Cerakote barrel and action
4. Painted factory stock
5. Talley rings
6. Leopold VX-3
6b0f529ae0e52af3e9ab634d1137aca0.jpg
e0baa0ef9a666abcbca3bd8c8e9e45d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Great looking rifle. Who did the paint job?

Idaboy

WKR
The Tikkas are probably the best, smoothest, most precise rifles near their price point. They’re light, very smooth action, and I expect them to shoot well under MOA with factory ammo. The stock might be what you want for a hunting stock, or it might really bore you. The “lite” barrels are a little thick in comparison to other hunting rifles. The trigger is amazing with just a YoDave trigger spring.
Area419, Atlasworx and Mountain Tactical make parts for them.

I have a CTR and it shoots 1/2 MOA all day with factory match.

One downside to the Tikka action is that if you want to load long magnum rounds you won’t have enough room to load. Factory magnums or similar are no problem, but you won’t be loading really long. Another downside is that the barrels are a little slow, so knock some FPS off your expectations for a given barrel length. An additional downside is that Tikka makes their barrels with a slow twist. Excellent for varmint or standard hunting loads, but you might not have the stability to accurately shoot heavy-for-caliber bullets.

Support is growing for them and they’re fantastic guns. The worst case with a Tikka, if you hate the barrel and the stock,you’ll end up with an outstanding action that cost less than any aftermarket action, that you can buy prefer barrels for.
Couldn't agree more..,I 95% archery but carry a rifle once a year. Tikka T3 300WSM is a great deer/elk gun and no issues with factory ammo. (Use a 30-06 Tikka for whitetail in Midwest as everyone in camp shoots an 06)...numerous aftermarket options for upgrades if you want.. They are lite, crisp trigger and hard to beat at that price point. If you are "trying rifle" to get back into it I would definitely rec. If you are going all in, hand load and long range, then I don't know.

ndbuck09

WKR
I have a 300 win mag tikka t3 lite. I'm a fan of a good size round when hunting bigger tough animals. I had the gun for about 5 years before I put on a Witt Machine clamp on brake and it reduces the recoil drastically. They're around $100 and you caliper measure the end of your barrel and then down the barrel a ways and they custom build the brake to slip on tightly and it's held with 4 screws. I was pretty blown away at the recoil
it saved. IMG_0970.jpg

Big Tikka fan since '05.
I suggest looking at the price of factory ammo as a consideration, if you don't plan on getting into the reloading rabbit hole. I have a 300 WSM and wish I had gone with a 30-06 as the ammo is often half the cost and the advantage the WSM brings is not really "all that" within my hunting range. Limbsaver recoil pad and a trigger spring and you will be happy....IMO.

Good advice here.

I vote 6.5 creed, 7mm-08, or 308 as that'll get you ammo cheaper AND you'll be more inclined to practice with it as it wont hammer you has hard.