Tikka vs Sako rifles

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I wanted a Sako finnlight in the worst way but could never justify the price tag. Fast forward 10 years & I have a tricked out Tikka superlite for less money & a way nicer setup in the end.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The only people that think “fit and finish” on a synthetic Sako and a synthetic Tikka is different, are the people who equate (quite incorrectly) that Sako is money, and Tikka is economy.

It’s in their head. “Quality” wise there is no difference. If anything, the design is better on the T3 when it comes to functionality, durability and extreme weather. The dude who said a T3 is a “sporterized TRG 22” is quite correct. The T3 legitimately one of the few world class purpose built sniper rifles trimed down into a hunting gun.

fatbacks

WKR
just curious if you could give some data on the "garbage" Tikka stocks, failures or broken stocks and such ?

Can't really substantiate it with hard data. More being in the field with their synthetic stock and thinking to myself, jeez this stock is loud when scraped against brush, doesn't balance the rifle well, and is slippery when wet.

I have a Tikka gray laminate stock as well and felt great and shot great until it cracked and separated down the spine. I now use that stock on my Tikka T1X 22 LR.

My Tikkas now sit in Mesa Precision Arms and McMillan stocks. Difference is night and day. At the end of the day it is a personal opinion, but compared to the aftermarket offerings, I think the the factory Tikka plastic stock is not very nice.

For rifles with "tupperware" stocks, tikka's have been the only one's I've really been impressed with. Out of the factory I personally like their poly-stocks better (like nothing else even comes close better) than any other without jumping up to kevlar/composite/fiberglass. Well thought out, durable and pretty dang stiff considering it's plastic and not full length bedded.

my $.02

Can't really substantiate it with hard data. More being in the field with their synthetic stock and thinking to myself, jeez this stock is loud when scraped against brush, doesn't balance the rifle well, and is slippery when wet.

I have a Tikka gray laminate stock as well and felt great and shot great until it cracked and separated down the spine. I now use that stock on my Tikka T1X 22 LR.

My Tikkas now sit in Mesa Precision Arms and McMillan stocks. Difference is night and day. At the end of the day it is a personal opinion, but compared to the aftermarket offerings, I think the the factory Tikka plastic stock is not very nice.
each of us has an opinion based on different reasonings - the T3X stock is now filled with foam to cut down on that hollow sound but I always thought it not any louder than my clothing and boots scraping against said brush, you ought to hear 2 bull moose going at it, sounds like wood baseball bats striking each other full swing - surprised a laminate stock "de" laminated on you though, should have had a more durable finish I reckon - funny thing, my son put his superlight in a Manners and it scrapes on brush too …...

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy the tikka and a quality scope and you have a killer...if after more than simply a quality shooting gun then buy the sako....people talk about the stocks being garbage on the tikka I beg to differ they perform flawlessly and after 16 yrs of hard abuse took it to the range this week two shots fired is all I needed to verify still dead on and ready for hunting next month....tikkas simply perform very well and I have a basement full of racks and a heavily worn stock to say they simply drive tacks👍

JoeDirt

WKR
I own Tikka T3 and a Sako A7. Main difference is the stock on the Sako A7 is solid! bolt is 3 lug vs 2 on the Tikka. Mags have metal feed lips. The barrels are identical.

I absolutely love Sako rifles and own quite a few. You can only enhance the design of a mousetrap so much...

They quit making rifles after the model 75, in my mind. 😜

whoever wants to argue the "3 lug vs. 2 lug" issue can do so with those who hold those Remington 700's dear
Me ? I'll take the Tikka

A carbonlight stock weighs 21.94oz (S action) and a finnlight stock is 29.3oz (s action).
Remember the same action lengths with Sako's use the same barrel blank. The larger the caliber in that action size the lighter the rifle will be.

A finnlight 308 weights 5.5lbs while a carbonlight 308 weighs 5lbs flat.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
The Tikka is looking better and better the more I think about it. For all you Tikka guys saying your rifle weighs less than 6 lbs, where the hell are you getting those rifles? I have checked the Tikka site and none of the compact, Lite, or Super Lite rifles weigh in at less than 6 lbs

The Tikka is looking better and better the more I think about it. For all you Tikka guys saying your rifle weighs less than 6 lbs, where the hell are you getting those rifles? I have checked the Tikka site and none of the compact, Lite, or Super Lite rifles weigh in at less than 6 lbs
I weighed mine straight out of the box when I got it home on a kitchen food scale. While not much under 6 pounds it was certainly under it at 5 pounds 15 ounces if I remember correctly. But it started with a 5 for sure.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have 3 superlites. My 30-06, 7mmRM, and 6.5 CM all weigh within an oz, one way or the other, of 6lbs. The 30cal with the 22.4 in barrel being the lightest athe one ounce shy of 6lbs. My 7mm is a T3 not T3x and it's an ounce over. They're dang light rifle for the price and shoot as well as my custom.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to keep in mind with the quest for ultralight is shootability with super light rifles. I’ve found lighter rifles are a bit harder to shoot accurately, especially as distance increases. A factory superlite is plenty light & about as low as I would want to go & be comfortable being consistent at distance.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider

64408fe2bdf7fd4e1e0960781f1d53e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to keep in mind with the quest for ultralight is shootability with super light rifles. I’ve found lighter rifles are a bit harder to shoot accurately, especially as distance increases. A factory superlite is plenty light & about as low as I would want to go & be comfortable being consistent at distance.
I too was all into the lightest rifles I could find, bought a Kimber Mountain Ascent, although it was a very nice rifle that fed and shot very very well it was just a tad too light (IMO), sold it and stuck with my superlight AND gave a Kimber Hunter a try, very happy with it but it's no better (again IMO) than any of the superlights I've had or currently have, just a bit different - my '06 SL is now a 338/06 AI and I'm having fun with that one as well …..
sometime back I had a superlight 7mm RM turned into a 338 Win Mag, it was a great shooter and nice to carry - I (impetuously) sold it and am really contemplating doing that conversion again - all this chatter about "better bullets" is true, to a point but I've not killing any game animal that drops as decisively as when hit with a well placed 338 size slug (unless it was a BIGGER than 338 slug of course)