Time to burn in Montana... Prairie dogs?

Terrapin

WKR
I am moving from Minnesota back home to Idaho (thank you baby Jesus). Due to house closing dates I have a couple of days to burn in Montana around the 11th of May, besides going to look at Stone Glacier packs I'm out of good ideas. I was thinking about taking the boys (10&12) prairie dog hunting. Any thoughts about an area reasonably near I90 towards the middle of the state. since I already packed my reloading gear, I'm not really looking for volume shooting just letting the kids fling some 22s and 223 for an afternoon. Might be too early and it's still all mud.

2ski

WKR
I don't really know of any off hand along the interstate. You could stop and ask at the sporting goods store/gas station in Big Timber. Just explain your situation and see what happens. You won't need to worry too much about mud I would think especially on the plains.

If you're going to hang out in Bozeman to check out SG you might as well go to Mystery Ranch too. Another thing to kill some time. Big Sky archery carries FHF stuff if you wanyed to check that out. Kennetrek has a small showroom but you're talking to an office manager or something. At least when I was in a couple years ago. As far as I know, the Sitka offices are just offices. There is no showroom or anything that I know of.

OP
T

Terrapin

WKR
That's a good idea, Mystery Ranch, Schnees, and Big Sky Archery. That should be a pretty good day in Bozeman.

Looking on the map it seems like better prairie dog density towards billings. If nothing else I'll just take a likely looking off ramp and go 50 miles and see what I see.

2ski

WKR
Yeah. I would say to get off the interstate before Big Timber for gophers. You could find some from Manhattan to Whitehall probably too.

OP
T

Terrapin

WKR
Thanks, I think I'll just find a flea bag motel in that area, ditch the trailers and go see what I can find for a day or two. It is amazing how easy it is to get permission when you take eager kids along.