Tipi and nest for 2 big people?

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few questions for the tipi and nest owners out there. Im a big guy, 6' 6" 275LBS, and my Girl is 6' as well. Im looking for a tipi and stove for late fall hunting and early spring backpacking with the girlfriend. She is against the idea of a tent without bug protection, which has me looking for a nest that will accommodate both of us.
My first choice is a Kifaru Sawtooth, but the rear pole seems to be a deal breaker for a nest unless thee is one I haven't seen yet.
My second choice is the Seek Outside 6man with the half nest, and I can't seem to find the dimensions of the nest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated at this point.

The half-nest for the SO 6-man tipi shares stakeouts with the tipi itself. I believe it would be about 7' in radius.from the center pole. Should be plenty of room.

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
I took the gurlfriend and used the SO bug bivy with the kifaru 6 man and it looked very similar to the pic above my post.

husky390

WKR
You guy's are going to be "cozy" if you decide to go with the SO nest. The BPD nest is or can be ordered larger. SO has the better quality though.

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
With you at 6'6" and your girl at 6' you might want to look at a 8-man Kifaru or SO tipi as a minimum, SO 6-man is just right for me solo with a stove and I'm half a foot shorter than you, I like my space. Get a liner for your tipi. Stove, take a look at Ruta Locura Wifi in the large version. No nest opinion here.

OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
With you at 6'6" and your girl at 6' you might want to look at a 8-man Kifaru or SO tipi as a minimum, SO 6-man is just right for me solo with a stove and I'm half a foot shorter than you, I like my space. Get a liner for your tipi. Stove, take a look at Ruta Locura Wifi in the large version. No nest opinion here.

This is why Im leaning toward the Sawtooth. It seems like it will have more space while laying down but less head room to stand, which is fine with us. The big issue is how to set up a large 2 person inner nest or bug shelter. I might have to cut a hole in a bug tent and run the short pole through the center of it. Not sure yet but I think I know what my options are now.

OP
W

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
You can set up the Sawtooth without the rear pole. I believe Luke has posted pics on here somewhere showing how you do that.

Ive seen a picture of one setup with a pole outside in the back. I think the owner added a loop on the outside that he would tie to a tree or cut a pole and run a guy line up and over.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We run ours without a rear pole. I sewed a loop of 1" webbing to the rear peak so we could stake that point out and forgo the rear pole. Initially we tried running the guy line to a trekking pole, but it seemed to be more hassle than it was worth. Now we just use a long guy out and pretty nearly have the same rear elevation a pole would provide.

I also tied additional webbing to each stake loop so we have the option to pitch our sawtooth higher off the ground to promote better ventilation.

I suppose in theory the shelter could be a little less stout in high winds without the rear pole, but we always have the option to put a trekking pole inside the shelter as the rear pole (we would have to move the nest) if we had to. So far it hasn't been an issue.

colonel00

WKR
Here are a couple more photos that show the space available in a SO Cimarron. The night of this setup, I wanted to try out a bivy so my girlfriend slept in the nest alone. On other nights, we slept in there together. Setup right, the Cimarron has a ton of room. This wasn't pitched nearly as high as Luke's earlier picture but it still had plenty of room and held in the heat of the stove.

IMGP5836_zpslgiz1ila.jpg

IMGP5835_zps9ahbzsit.jpg

Slim Jim

WKR
I've been going back and forth over the Cimarron or the sawtooth. The $ is pushing me towards the Cimarron, because if I spend $800 I might as well go with the SO 6 man tipi. Dam it decisions decisions. I only want to cry once

colonel00

WKR
I've been going back and forth over the Cimarron or the sawtooth. The $ is pushing me towards the Cimarron, because if I spend $800 I might as well go with the SO 6 man tipi. Dam it decisions decisions. I only want to cry once

Honestly, I think they are two different shelters for two different situations. To me, the Sawtooth or a 6-man tipi would be outstanding shelters but probably just a bit beyond what I would want to use for packing in anywhere too far. The Cimarron, while not the absolute lightest, is a shelter I wouldn't hesitate to grab to be packed in. So there, I solved your problem. Buy a Sawtooth and a Cimarron at the same time and still only cry once :D