Tipi and Stove Limitations

Another advantage to a stove, is the creatures that come in to explore this new heat source provides. All the goodies that are included with it like granola bar crumbs and various seeds and shells. And of course the new pile of broken limbs stacked inside this new sheltered area offers them a chance to explore. Of course you don't need a stove for all this, but the floorless option is almost a must, and the ones who go floorless almost always do so, for the advantage of the stove.
I love the stove and carry it on every mountain hunt that is a 5 or more day adventure. But I am not carrying every day. I set up camp when I get into my area. Then I venture from there only occasionally relocating.

And for what its worth, I have a MW 0 degree bag with over fill, and an ExPed insulated pad. 2 of the best options for staying warm. I like being warm in the mountains.

Has anyone tried to burn some small pieces of coal to keep the burn overnight a bit longer? I'm talking just a piece or two? Coal burns abit hotter and longer than wood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

On a hunt where I drove my Ranger to the camp site, I took in one of those artificial fire place logs that burn in a real fire place. They burn forever. They don't cut up real easy so do that at home. But they are way better for burn time than real branches. They can clog up a screen, in wet snowy conditions
:)

But they are an option with a huge weight penalty.

3forks

WKR
I think there are campers, backpackers, UL backpackers, and backpack hunters.

There are some general concepts that apply to everyone listed above, but when people start getting more experience/educated, they understand that looking for warmth in a tent (without a stove) is a mistake.

Weight (in the form of insulation) in a sleeping bag and a pad, is going to be a bigger benefit than weight in a tent. you can add a few ounces of down to your bag vs a pound in tent and be warmer. But, with a UL tipi and stove, a smaller weight penalty adds a huge benefit (everyone else has already mentioned those).

It’s going to cost some money to save some weight and gain performance; but a UL tipi and stove is comparable in weight to any 4 season “warmer” tent - but more versatile way warmer.

Like I'm sure all of you do, we bring sleeping bag/pads to match the expected weather. That said, when you stagger in chilled to the bone and/or sopping wet, and then try and dry off the best you can, drink a hot drink to try and warm up, and go to bed, you (or at least I) may never quite get comfortably warm all night. Going to bed thoroughly warm and dry with the help of a stove in a tipi (usually roasting for an hour at an average internal tipi temp of 80!) can make a hell of a lot of difference long after the stove goes out.

We also get some mitigation on the weight of the stove in that we use it quite of lot for water heating for drinks and freeze drieds. We've even used it at times exclusively for this sometimes. So you get some savings on the amount of stove fuel (or even a stove in general).

That all said it is about comfort, not necessity. But I'm fine with that. I want to have a good time and not be miserable. If you've ever been weathered in for a couple days during a hunt stuck in a little tent you can barely sit up in reading a book by headlamp in your sleeping bag all damn day, you can REALLY appreciate a tipi with a stove!

mlgc20

WKR
I used to do a lot of ultralight and even super ultralight backpacking. I went so far as to completely ditch my shelter, pad and stove. Basically, I'd bring a sleeping bag and sleep on the ground and eat cold food. I was chasing a low of a base weight as I could get to. But, it really became about chasing that number, just for the numbers sake. As I got older, I realized that did enjoy the hike with the very low weight, but I hated just about every minute I was in camp. So, I added those things back in. The hiking is a little tougher now. But, the time in camp is now something I can look forward to. It's all about finding the equilibrium of enjoying the hiking versus enjoying the camping. They can both be good. But, "good" will look different to different people.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting season here is very rarely about freezing and more often than not, below zero. I have personally never used a stove. I see them in the hunting videos and they look like they would be nice to have. I have a very good bag and pad and a middle of the road tent. That has always worked well. I just use the fire outside the tent to dry clothes/boots before I go to bed.

rayporter

WKR
the older you get the more you will like them, young guys maybe not so much,

i have taken several guys out to hunt in cold weather and all of them were hooked on the stove quick.

some would set and chuck it with wood for hours.

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
In theory I would think it would help you get warm before getting into your bag so that your bag can trap all that heat inside it for the night, rather than trying to keep the tent warm throughout the night. Same principal as doing push-ups or running around camp before you get in your bag for the night, just more relaxing lol

keep in mind I haven’t used a stove,I just understand the general principles of how a sleeping bag works

Austink47

WKR
Just get a sleep system that is 10 degrees warmer than your hunting partner, then they will keep the stove going all night and you are golden.

Gobbler36

WKR
Agree but its not much concern for me we have good quality bags and pads and stoke it once or twice before going to sleep really good and run the liners and it does fine, it gets colder for sure but we get up 45 min earlier to get the stove going while we have breakfast.

I’ve never been in a tipi setup. Everything I’ve read when I’ve thought about buying one talks about how you have to get up multiple times to stoke the fire. That’s also necessary when using a heat source from a Mr Buddy or car heater. The area goes from toasty to barely better than the outside temps pretty fast. Where I don’t want to wake up during the night to tend something and I’m not going to buy and carry a big stove for backpacking, it seems to me that good sleeping in cold temps comes from a good pad, sleeping bag, warm clothes to sleep in, not a backpacking stove. Anyone agree or disagree?
I agree with everyone. A good insulated pad and a warm sleeping bag are very important for a good nights rest. I’m willing to carry a heavier pad/bag if it means I will get better sleep. The stove is awesome for moral. If you’re in the backcountry for a few days to weeks it really elevates you’re experience. Plus it’s an easy cooking surface for tenderloins.