Tipis (no stove) and sheep hunts (the good, the bad and everything in between)

dapesche

WKR
Did a search and there are general threads asking about shelters.

Thought I'd start this so people can comment on their positive and negative experiences with tipis in the alpine and subalpine and specifically in regards to sheep... Or goats.

I am stone sheep hunting next year.

Should I take my seek cimarron or do I look to sell and buy seething like the durston mid 2p pro.

I'm hunting August.

Looking forward to the comments regarding tipis in all seasons.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

I have used my tipi on two sheep hunts and I won’t use it again. They weather wasn’t the issue, it was finding a place suitable for pitching it. A smaller tent is the way I am going for my time sheep hunting.
Finding a place that was big enough to pitch it? How would, say a SO Lil' Bug Out, work? its much smaller than the Cimarron.

Clarktar

WKR
Finding a place that was big enough to pitch it? How would, say a SO Lil' Bug Out, work? its much smaller than the Cimarron.
I have very limited sheep hunting experience but I have spent a fair amount of my life in the alpine (granted in snow as opposed to bare rock). If I know I will be up high with limited soil horizon for staking and smaller footprint options for pitching I rather take a smaller free standing tent. Makes life simpler in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I have very limited sheep hunting experience but I have spent a fair amount of my life in the alpine (granted in snow as opposed to bare rock). If I know I will be up high with limited soil horizon for staking and smaller footprint options for pitching I rather take a smaller free standing tent. Makes life simpler in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Same. I don't have the sheep experience but have stayed in a bunch of spots with limited soil to stake a tipi down. Stacking rocks at anchor points works ok but once the wind starts to blow hard enough I get tired of fighting with it.

Plus I like having a tent with a rainfly that I can remove if the weather cooperates to sleep under the stars but keep the bity bugs off.

I've taken a cimarron sheep hunting. It was an awesome, lightweight castle for tow guys and worked great on that trip. But we never dealt with wind and I knew that I would be camping on valley floors in the range and area we were in.

On another February goat hunting trip I took a cimarron and a buddy took a sawtooth. We set up a basecamp on the trip with a 4 season north face tent as an emergency shelter. Thank God. Winds registered 100+ mph in Kodiak while we were out. Both our floorless tents collapsed and we took them down before they were shredded and ran for cover in the dome. I simply will not take a tipi unless I have a bombproof backup tent. So it's a no for me on a backpack or flyout hunt. My cimarron is basically just used for trips less than a few days where I know the area, have an exit, and a good hold on what's in the forecast.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Same. I don't have the sheep experience but have stayed in a bunch of spots with limited soil to stake a tipi down. Stacking rocks at anchor points works ok but once the wind starts to blow hard enough I get tired of fighting with it.

Plus I like having a tent with a rainfly that I can remove if the weather cooperates to sleep under the stars but keep the bity bugs off.
Bingo!!!
It’s wet up in those areas, and windy as hell , a tent with a fly that’s able to withstand 40+ mph wind and rain

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
thanks everyone. The last thing I want is my tent failing and potentially ending a hunt too soon.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
i do like the idea of the tipi's size during down days as I think I'd lose my mind in a small space.

I used a Durston X-Mid on one of my 3 sheep hunts this season. It handles weather decently. We had 40 mph winds on one occasion. My partners DCF Duomid handled the wind better. That’s what I normally use and will be going back to it.
A single pole mid will always be more capable in stormy weather due to its shape. A dual trekking pole shelter will have flat sides that wind can catch. With any floorless mid type shelter though, staking it out securely is the most important thing to consider. Ive trusted my Duomid in 60 mph winds and it’s handled it fine, as long as I made sure the stakes were capable and also had rocks on top of them.

A DCF Mid (of one configuration or another), is pretty much all I have used for the last 9 years and I've been very happy with them. I have a DCF Silex that I used a couple years ago and it did just fine, but a bigger Mid is so much nicer in regards to space and the wt. difference is nominal.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
For all back pack hunts, especially sheep, I have really liked the Kuiu summit 1p and 3p tents.

Works for stones and Dalls 😀View attachment 462281View attachment 462275
my hunting partners have the refuge 3 man they'll use. Seems to have held up well last year on their hunt..

cimarron is definiitely a bigger foot print, but I like the idea of more space on those down days. Might need some extra guy points I guess.

OP
dapesche

dapesche

WKR
I used a Durston X-Mid on one of my 3 sheep hunts this season. It handles weather decently. We had 40 mph winds on one occasion. My partners DCF Duomid handled the wind better. That’s what I normally use and will be going back to it.
A single pole mid will always be more capable in stormy weather due to its shape. A dual trekking pole shelter will have flat sides that wind can catch. With any floorless mid type shelter though, staking it out securely is the most important thing to consider. Ive trusted my Duomid in 60 mph winds and it’s handled it fine, as long as I made sure the stakes were capable and also had rocks on top of them.

I did see reviewers mention that pitching it with wind direction is mind was important so that broadside wasn't exposed. Trying to get a read of night time wind direction is tough though and there is some luck involved.

I feel like the cimarron should be fine. I'd likely just stick with the cimarron vs. going to the duomid like you mentioned.

If I got another tent, I think it'd be a lighter freestanding tent.
With that said, I bought a big agnes copper spur 2 man and quickly sold it. Just didn't look like it'd hold up to shit weather.

Roughout

FNG
Not apples to apples, however, we just ran a Redcliff on a ridge top hunt with 3 guys (w stove). I felt like I could agree that locating an area to appropriately pitch (flat, dray, etc ) could impact ability to get out of wind. In high wind and rain events, Redcliff was fine but a bit more dramatic effect than a tent with more stability. I guess there’s there’s always the chance of being blown off the hill in any shelter but obviously tipi probability higher than a tent you’re laying in/holding down.

I personally would run floorless in August. We did run bivy over bags as well for added protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCB

WKR
Don't really see the advantage to going floorless if you're not going to bring a stove. But that's a matter of personal preference I suppose.

Don't really see the advantage to going floorless if you're not going to bring a stove. But that's a matter of personal preference I suppose.

The wt. difference is the main reason for me. If there was a traditional tent out there that I could easily stand up in, had 85 ft.² of living space, and weighed less than 1.5 lbs., I would definitely consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mod7rem

FNG
I’ve hunted Stone sheep many times using a tipi and stove for 2 guys. The downsides are finding a big enough spot to pitch it and I’m not as confident in it if the weather really hits the fan.
The upsides are roomy and heat with a stove. Without a stove I don’t see much benefit.

I’ve also done many Stone sheep hunts using a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT for two guys. The only downsides are finding a big enough flat spot for two people to comfortably sleep side be side without having to do too much excavation work.

This year we took two solo tents and I have to admit it was the best. Very easy to find comfortable pitch spots. All within feet of each other so still able to talk and enjoy company while having a little more personal space. No disturbing each other’s sleep from moving around. I use a Hilleberg Akto and trust it in heavy weather and weighing in at just below 4 lbs.

I’ll just add that I’ve been in a few bad storms while sheep hunting, so trying to go ultra light in a tent at the sacrifice of safety, is a no go for me.