Tips for a First Time Solo Hunter

I've been elk hunting a few times before with friends, but since I can't get anyone to go with me this time I'm going solo. I'll be heading to Colorado from Indiana in early Sept. and have decided to just try for a cow. I'm in my mid 40's and I workout everyday. I've packed an elk out before so I know how tough that can be.
I just need some tips on things that I might not think of when it comes to solo hunting. I plan to hunt from the truck at first and if I need to I'll spike in, which I've done before. Any tips from you experienced solo hunters would be appreciated. Thanks

After suggesting the InReach I would say just remember that if you are successful it is only you who will be packing it out so you will want to limit how deep you go so you can get the meat out with out spoilage. Remember if you go two miles from the road you are looking at a 4 mile round trip per load so if it takes 4 loads then you are looking at 16 miles of hiking with 8 carrying 80-120 pounds per load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cow elk is pretty doable in two solo trips, in my experience.

Edit: apparently didn't read it well the first time. As long as the weather isn't too hot you should be fine.

Last edited:

bobr1

WKR
A portable power bank to keep your in-reach and mainly phone charged if your using it for onx or gaia. Get all your gear and do a long day of hiking and maybe spend the night before you actually go hunt to see what gear you need or don't and problems you might have. I found out last season I need to keep my phone insulated better or a hand warmer on it because during the rifle opener it got so cold my phones charge dropped drastically and then said it was to cold to charge and that was with it in my pants pocket. And if you are just hunting a cow and don't plan to keep the hide and skull that is a lot of weight you don't have to pack.

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Inreach is a must for me when solo. As others have said, keep the distance for pack out within reason.

I de-bone meat when solo also.

OP
B
Thanks for the replies. I plan on staying within a 3 mile radius because of the possible pack out. I will be deboning the meat if I do get one down. I plan on starting plan A in unit 521 with more backup plans in unit 521, 421 and 42. I've hunted in the past around Durango, Grandby and Kremmlin, but have the most experience in unit 521. I'm sure the alone time will be the toughest, but it's a challenge I've always wanted to try.

njdoxie

WKR
There are many, MANY threads with this exact question, the search function is your friend or just go thru all the elk threads.

TheGDog

WKR
Get a Garmin InReach, give your spouse or a friend an email with a screenshot with markings on it of what your plan will be. Times and Dates of when you will enter and expect to exit by. Do NOT vary from the plan! Not by much anyway. That plan will be what saves you.

Get your Doctor to give you an Rx for an opiate pain med to carry in your pack!

If they give ya grief, and they will now since they are making it harder for regular responsible folks to acquire meds these days (Grr!) ask for just Tylenol #3's, which have Codeine. Explain the purpose you need it for, that it's a just in case type of thing, or like in my case that you have certain old injuries that also sometimes bark up real bad if the hike-in is unusually long or steep. They will give you an Rx for no more than 15 count.

I had a slip-and-fall while crossing a creek on a hunt and shattered my wrist out there. Had to hike back and then drive my truck all the way home. (Figured they'd med me to re-set it, didn't want Mama and the boy held hostage waiting around for me to be off meds so I could then drive my vehicle back home, so decided to just hurry up and drive it on home directly) Would have sucked a bit less with something more industrial strength to take it down a notch. I now have a plate and 13 screws in my wrist from that day.

Always carry Imodium, and Acid-blockers (Tagamet, etc). Always carry eye-drops to help with allergy type reactions to the pollens and so forth. Naphcon-A seems to work well without burning like some of them do. Don't forget to use that 70+spf unscented baby sunscreen on tip of nose and edges of ears.

Be extra cautious about NOT traversing anything sketchy. Don't jump down off stuff. Always think safely versus saving time. Don't tempt fate!

Have an extra first layer shirt that you will wear while doing your hike-in. That one will get sweatied up. Maybe a mile to 1000yds back from your spot, you change-out that sweaty shirt and possibly leave it sprawled out over a chaparral bush near where you'll come back and setup your tent later.

Pre-Hike-in several bottled gallons of water into your spot if you can. Can not tell you how glorious it is to have extra water on hand!

On pre-trips handle clearing out your spots and possibly building blinds out of natural materials.

At your car have extra regular water to be used for giving yourself a sponge-bath when you arrive back to your vehicle. Along with a change of clothes you specifically pick for doing the drive back home so they are more comfortable. Even when it's sorta cold, you'd be surprised how good having that sponge bath first feels towards your comfort returning home, so you're not all sweaty and itchy for hours on the drive home.

And for me, I always leave an energy/caffeinated drink back at the vehicle so that if I feel very spent it'll make sure I don't have scary bouts of feeling sleepy at the wheel while driving down out of there on mountain roads. And if you're unsure at all about your tiredness levels, set an alarm for 20mins and nap a bit. Helps a ton. Driving exhausted is no joke!

Oh! And DO NOT forget to have a Tow-Strap in your car! Along with a can of Fix-A-Flat spray and mini air-compressor, etc.

MAKE SURE you pack most of the stuff into your vehicle the night before! Or at least get it all ready to just grab and go! Don't trust that sleepy you at 2am-2:30am will remember all the things you need to or wanted to bring on your trip! Sucks real bad to forget to pack vital things... like boots! #FacePalm

Last edited:
I've been elk hunting a few times before with friends, but since I can't get anyone to go with me this time I'm going solo. I'll be heading to Colorado from Indiana in early Sept. and have decided to just try for a cow. I'm in my mid 40's and I workout everyday. I've packed an elk out before so I know how tough that can be.
I just need some tips on things that I might not think of when it comes to solo hunting. I plan to hunt from the truck at first and if I need to I'll spike in, which I've done before. Any tips from you experienced solo hunters would be appreciated. Thanks

Where at in Indiana? I’m in Vigo county

Marble

WKR
I find it easiest to go in just mile or two rather than truck hunt daily.

Easy to restock.

Easy to pack out.

Start out in the hunting.

Have a top notch pack, big enough to carry 2 quarters.

Know your body’s limits before you go. Push yourself hard in training, to the point of real exhaustion. Know what dehydration feels like and how your body reacts. These two factors can turn a hunt dangerous quickly when you are alone. I have seen it too many times to count where someone learns on the mountain and needed help off.
If doing a late season hunt solo, I highly recommend performing hypothermia drills (supervised of course) to make sure you can warm yourself up. Good luck!