Tips on burning lite outdoors stove.

Trees91

WKR
Got a seek outside cimarron and a 12” lite outdoors stove. I set it up in the yard and burnt the stove in. I burnt it hot and fast, intake all the way open and dampener all the way open as well. To get it to burn slower through the night how do I maximize burn time without choking the fire too much? Looking for tips on what works for you guys. Thanks!
CF52B3B1-74FB-4CD2-843D-B153C8E1124C.jpeg

sneaky

"DADDY"
There is no burning through the night unless you wake up every 45min to an hour and feed it. These stoves are for drying gear and warming the shelter up in the morning before you crawl out of your sleep system. They don't hold heat like cast iron stoves do, and damping them down only causes smoke.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Yeah I realize that, just want to maximize burn time. If it’s real cold I or my hunting buddy will be up off and on to feed it or start it up again.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They are extremely fickle to try and maximize burn times by damping down. You could try one of those fire logs, but that's more weight to carry and they put off a lot of crap. Hardwood would burn longer but is like trying to find a unicorn out west. No easy fix to making it burn longer. Maybe a night with a good wind helping with the draft, but if the wind dies down while the damper is closed most of the way will lead to getting smoked out.

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
That’s what I found even burning it for a few hours in the yard. It was hard to choke it down at all without it almost going out. I guess we’ll just have to keep feeding it. At least it heats up the tent fast, so if I wake up freezing cold I can get it warmed up in a hurry.

sneaky

"DADDY"
They should call all of these ti stoves "all or nothing" stoves

Clarence

WKR
Bigger wood helps with the burn time a little, but like others have said, don't expect these things to perform like your stove at home. They are awesome at what they do.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
You'll wish for the 18" size...longer wood!

Even at that 18" size stove, I only dampen mine 1/2way
Or too smoky as it's not even close to airtight not even like my 3-Dog wall tent stove which is totally different . I surround My OL stove with some small fire pit rocks. Those rocks will retain some heat and act as a guard.

As far as the stove body, I burned a couple hours consistently hot. Half way thru that I turned the stove pipe around to burn more evenly and I was done.

Moserkr

WKR
Ive learned a few things over the years...

Biggest thing is angles of the stove body relative to the stove pipe. The door/intake in the front of the stove needs to be lower than the back of the stove where the exit pipe is located. Simple physics that heat rises, so even a small amount of heat rising will keep smoke from backdrafting into the tent.

For long burn times, cut the biggest and longest pieces of wood that will fit, and set it on a hot bed of coals. Turn the damper and intake low enough to just keep the coals burning hot with little to no flame.

I average close to 2 hours of burn time in the 18” stove and 1.5 in the 12”. Both burn around the same level of temp. On a colder night, turning down the damper and intake may not keep you warm enough though. Add a little air to get hotter but shorter burn times.

If you choke it down too much you might wake up an hour later smoked out of your tent. Especially when everything burns down a bit farther. I like to keep mine wide open when I go to bed because I know I won’t wake up choking on smoke.

Wrench

WKR
Best thing I've found is to have a shelter fit for 3. Use one space for wood. Explain to your buddy that he can bring his 40* bag because this stove is uber badass and will cook him out....which is true,temporarily.

Fall asleep. He will stoke the fire every 37 minutes.

I've made the night in my 18" if I load as big of wood as will physically fit in the door. When I say "the night" I mean the 4 critical hours I need.

Napperm4

WKR
It’s been a learning curve but I managed to get a few hours of burn time out of my LO 12” stove. I live and hunt the Canadian Rockies so all we are burning is soft pine wood. Same as I use in my wall tent and Colorado Cylinder stove.

We light it when we get back to make dinner. Smaller twigs etc 1”-2” diameter cut to about 8” lengths. Run it full open with the first batch of wood and let it die down. Repeat a couple times to get the chimney nice and hot and build some coals.

I’ve started packing a saw with the stove so once we have a decent coal bed, we put in 9” long by 4-5” rounds, leave the door damper open and choke the chimney back to about 1/3 until the log is well caught. Close down the doer damper to a crack and I’ve had some smoulder for up to 3 hours. Clean out the ashes to keep volume.

Do not use the spark arrestor when doing this with soft pine. It will plug up solid and back draft the smoke into the tent. I’ve tried with the baffle installed but i get better burn times with more wood which means I have shelved the baffle and use as much space for fuel as I can.

904eb906838ff94f20908cd16984650f.jpg

Also makes the stove a bastard to light in the middle of the night when your partner gets up for a piss.

Lastly, if you’re setting up as a base camp (I usually hunt with camp on my back) it helps retain heat if you put rocks (not river or lake rocks because they can and do explode when heated, not great for ultra light fabrics) underneath the stove.