Tire deal should i get them?

In looking for tires for my F150, I came across a deal at discount tire for Yokohama Geolander AT015 tires for a killer price ($830 out the door installed). The problem is that they are an E load tire. I don't do a lot of towing, small trailers and boats and mostly drive highway at least 90% of the time.

My issue is that would buying these actually cost more in the long run due to loss of mpg's and what would the ride be like at 35-45 psi?

Wrench

WKR
Those will net you better mileage....not worse. Less rolling resistance at higher inflation. You can air down for similar ride and mileage.

I've been running E rated tires for quite some time on my 1/2 ton. They are much better on mtn roads. Just keep them at 65 - 70 psi and don't look back.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I lost maybe 1mpg going E rated tires. Ride wasn’t really harsh, felt a little stiffer which added some stability in corners. E rated are definitely going to stand up better off-road.

tdhanses

WKR
If you do any off hwy driving or even that, I only get E rated tires hate getting flats. I’d get them, that’s a good deal.

How much better of a deal? I would recommend getting a tire that matches the most of your driving. I your case, a highway tire. I however am a deal guy and if those were the best deal (value wise NOT just cheapest) I would probably get them

a3dhunter

WKR
Looking these up I only found the A/T G015. Which looked like a highway tread.
I ran some Yokohama geolandar X-AT on my F250, but only got 25k out of a 50k tire.
They handled well and were very predictable, they did well aired down as well.
My only complaint was they didn't last.

OP
tim tarras
How much better of a deal? I would recommend getting a tire that matches the most of your driving. I your case, a highway tire. I however am a deal guy and if those were the best deal (value wise NOT just cheapest) I would probably get them
The Falken Wildpeak at3w and General Grabber ATX in p metric (standard load) are at $1200 out the door and compare just slightly below them in off road performance according to all the reviews which I know can be very subjective.

Part of the reason for going this way is I just put new tires on the Camry and will be starting a new job in a different town (3 hours, wife and sone are staying behind until August) and have to put rent and security deposit for 1st month. So finically speaking these really hit the sweet spot.

You’ll be fine with E rated tires.

They tend to ride stiffer, and they are heavier so more unsprung weight and more mass for the drivetrain to rotate. But it’s not like it’s a forever deal. You can always get C or D or SL rated tires the next go.

Last edited:
The Falken Wildpeak at3w and General Grabber ATX in p metric (standard load) are at $1200 out the door and compare just slightly below them in off road performance according to all the reviews which I know can be very subjective.

Part of the reason for going this way is I just put new tires on the Camry and will be starting a new job in a different town (3 hours, wife and sone are staying behind until August) and have to put rent and security deposit for 1st month. So finically speaking these really hit the sweet spot.
Yeah, for that big of a difference I would go with the Yoko's and not look back.

BCsteve

WKR
My F150's never leave the dealers lot without upgrading to E rated 10 ply AT tires. Much better on gravel roads. I keep them at the recommended 36 psi.

BCsteve

WKR
You’ll be fine with E rated tires.

They tend to ride stiffer, and they are heavier so more unsprung weight and more mass for the drivetrain to rotate. But it’s not like it’s a forever deal. You can always get C or D or ST rated tires the next go.
Don't get ST rated tires, those are trailer tires!

OP
tim tarras
Thank you you guys! I ended up ordering them. I forgot to add that these were cheaper than the SL counterpart by $140.00.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have ran E rated tires on my Tacoma for over 10 years. If you do any off road driving, lots of gravel roads, etc you will appreciate the durability. Saying they're overkill on an F150 is hilarious. You could always buy some factory replacement maypops and take your chances.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk