toenail removal?

Going thru Coast guard bootcamp if you had ingrown toe nails they took em' off no questions asked.Guys limping around all over the place.Went to Cape May NJ bootcamp dental school there...Had my teeth checked before bootcamp at my dentist,100% ok.Got there they drilled em' anyway to train new dentists!:cool:

slatty

WKR
Hey guys i'm an MD and I remove toenails. I would wait at least a month before a hunting trip if you're going to do this. It's an easy procedure but as you know it takes usually about 3 months for a toenail to grow back and your foot dynamics can be just a little off until that happens. Really every case is different, some people just need the toenail off and then it grows back, some people need a wedge resection (trim off some of the side and do the acid thing), some people have the toenail removed and nail bed ablated so it never comes back. Hopefully you find someone you trust and they can give you good advice about this. The biggest part is maintaining your nails well with regular trimming. If the nail folds get inflamed, soaks in warm water with epsom salts and some light massage to the area usually will fix the problem in a few days. Good luck and hope your feet are ok.

We hiked 60 miles in 6 days in the Bob Marshall this past July. A couple of my toenails turned a deep red color thereafter. My boots were not that tight. How do you prevent that? Thanks.

slatty

WKR
Hi GrayRider. I'm not a foot expert but i'll give you my best suggestions. Sounds like that's asking a lot of your feet no matter what. My personal experience is that the most important things are trim your toenails always before a trip. Dry socks. Boots that aren't too tight.
Mike

Thanks for the reply. Injured feet are one of the few things I believe that can truly stop a hunt or outdoor activity, especially when you are miles away from the trailhead. We could have gotten an injured person out with horses but you are still looking at about 24 to 48 hours of time, at a minimum.