Too much bullet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot

WKR
This thread is great. 1) "Hey guys, I've got a question..." 2) Question responded to with reasonable answers. 3) "Hey idiots, I know more than you, so keep your dumb answers to yourself!"

204guy nailed it! TBM all over again!!!

Gotta love the internet...

Laramie

WKR
A few years ago a buddies girlfriend was pissed that he was ditching her for the weekend to go hunting - she moved the crosshairs on his scope without him knowing. Cost him a deer and her the relationship.

To the OP - stuff happens. Check your gun. If that isn't the problem, you are.

cusecat04

FNG
a few musings...
1st encounter: 150 -200 yard off hand shot, tough shot to make
2nd encounter: you mention dialing and then shooting, then miss at 30 yards, did you dial things back before walking down to check your first shot?

you also mention just getting your guns out of storage and back up and running... how long has it been since you shot? Its a skill that takes practice to maintain, especially if you are dialing for distance.

edit: sorry... just read the part about you having the "gift"... please disregard my comments

Last edited:

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
I have as well, but honestly after the 30 (under) shot last night, I am having my doubts its (1) or (2). Both elk I have shot did not go far at all and it was an excellent killer. That said, most of the deer (especially does) around here are 100-120 lbs soaking wet - and very thin bodied. As well since it doesn't get or stay stinking cold as a witches titty they don't have super thick hide. Couple with the strange shot reactions its making me think...

In no way am I bashing a 308, the Edge TLR or anything - just thinking for these deer it might be a super pencil poker.

That bullet at that range would not "poke" through the deer.

Any internal organ it went through with the exception of the heart would be destroyed. The heart because it is a very tough muscle would have fatal damage, but if the bullet hit the lungs they would be obliterated.

Given your experience, really odd that you think you have too much bullet, then think the bullet did no serious or fatal damage on impact.

sndmn11

WKR
This turned into a circus quick.

There are no hollow deer, or bloodless ones. There is also no void. Bullets for hunting are designed to expand, and thus begin that expansion immediately upon impact. At the distances in question, their expansion should have been at or near the maximum possible due to being at their highest velocity.

You can shoot a mono bullet at a coyote or an elk, and you will see the same expansion provided the other variables are similar. The bullet doesn't care what animal is carrying the hide, muscle, and lungs. All that matters in regards to that variable is the depth of the medium, but one would see the same expansion in 12" of coyote as they would in 12" of elk, all other things equal.

All bullets must obey physics, and it is utterly impossible for one to punch through an animal, and not leave any evidence of the event. I would venture to say statistically speaking, it is also utterly impossible for that to occur three times consecutively.

I posted this link before, but hopefully it clears up some myths about bullets and guides things back to reality. Ballistics Test: The Best Big Game Bullets (rifleshootermag.com)

I'm going with loose screw.

Mines normally on the end of the stock. Have seen it under, around, and in the scope before.

It doesn't matter what size hole is thru the thoracic cavity, it will collapse the lungs, so if hit thru the chest, the deer will die. Might take awhile. Killed too much stuff with an fmj to think that any bullet design that doesn't explode isn't lethal, tho many aren't ideal.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
This turned into a circus quick.

There are no hollow deer, or bloodless ones. There is also no void. Bullets for hunting are designed to expand, and thus begin that expansion immediately upon impact. At the distances in question, their expansion should have been at or near the maximum possible due to being at their highest velocity.

You can shoot a mono bullet at a coyote or an elk, and you will see the same expansion provided the other variables are similar. The bullet doesn't care what animal is carrying the hide, muscle, and lungs. All that matters in regards to that variable is the depth of the medium, but one would see the same expansion in 12" of coyote as they would in 12" of elk, all other things equal.

All bullets must obey physics, and it is utterly impossible for one to punch through an animal, and not leave any evidence of the event. I would venture to say statistically speaking, it is also utterly impossible for that to occur three times consecutively.

I posted this link before, but hopefully it clears up some myths about bullets and guides things back to reality. Ballistics Test: The Best Big Game Bullets (rifleshootermag.com)

The correct term is goat rope sir.

At what point do we say the title of wilderness master is false advertising? Asking for a friend.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I have as well, but honestly after the 30 (under) shot last night, I am having my doubts its (1) or (2). Both elk I have shot did not go far at all and it was an excellent killer. That said, most of the deer (especially does) around here are 100-120 lbs soaking wet - and very thin bodied. As well since it doesn't get or stay stinking cold as a witches titty they don't have super thick hide. Couple with the strange shot reactions its making me think...

In no way am I bashing a 308, the Edge TLR or anything - just thinking for these deer it might be a super pencil poker.
This is the exit side. 80 yards shot. No pencil wound here.

Attachments

• D8472B3D-52EF-403C-AE25-4B5D2EB8BF18.jpeg
    D8472B3D-52EF-403C-AE25-4B5D2EB8BF18.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 29

sndmn11

WKR
The correct term is goat rope sir.

At what point do we say the title of wilderness master is false advertising? Asking for a friend.
Maybe his wilderness is so far past our wilderness, that we don't realize the rules change there. I believe in the "possibility" of a bunch of abstract and supernatural stuff, so I guess I have to leave the door open for that one too.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Maybe his wilderness is so far past our wilderness, that we don't realize the rules change there. I believe in the "possibility" of a bunch of abstract and supernatural stuff, so I guess I have to leave the door open for that one too.
Seems that he thinks a ghost moving his bullet is more possible then his scope breaking so you maybe on to something.

@Billy Goat its now a ghost rope....

SD Hunter

FNG
Since there is zero chance of the gun being off or the chance that you whiffed the shot it is time you learn how to track a wounded animal. By the sounds of it you are an above average marksman and have never needed the skill of being able to find a wounded animal. Now is the time to put the gun down and go find the multiple deer you killed and left to waste!

Status
Not open for further replies.