Tourniquet

treillw

WKR
Recommendations on a lightweight tourniquet? I know very little about them. Any tips on use would be helpful.

Was told that a Gen 7 is the style to go with.

Thanks!

fwafwow

WKR
+1 on the CAT, but others who are more experienced can chime in. Most importantly, if you can do so, take a class. Please see my signature for a good website with more info.

jolemons

WKR
Sam XT is basically the CAT but with a tension sensing lock so that you get the first pull tight enough. Many professionals seem to prefer this design because a common tourniquet failure is not having it tight enough with the first pull.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
https://wms.org/magazine/1245/tourniquet get two of whichever one you like. Dedicate one to training. Tourniquets loose structural function and are prone to failure if reused, so don't train with the one you carry.

Elastic tourniquets are inferior for several reasons. I carry a SWAT-T because there are lots of other things I can do with it (chest seal, compression bandage, splinting). It is a trade off I'm willing to make in the backcountry.

I also practice using other things I carry to fabricate a tourniquet. This approach also represents a trade off, and requires more training than a dedicated tourniquet like those approved by the CoTCCC. Manny people will attempt to us a belt to fabricate a tourniquet, the results are almost always worse than nothing.

RATS tourniquets are probably the lightest option. However, they are not multifunction, are narrow (which increases the risk of permeant nerve damage), and can end up applying far more pressure than is needed (which also increases the risk of permeant injury). Of course, permeant loss of function in a limb is better that death.

As others have said, take a Stop the Bleed class if you haven't already.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I should add, don't try to save money by getting a cheap knockoff, it may look the same, but odds are the materials it is constructed from will break during application.

jolemons

WKR
I should add, don't try to save money by getting a cheap knockoff, it may look the same, but odds are the materials it is constructed from will break during application.
Can the swat t be self applied in a reasonable amount of time for a life threatening wound?

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the North American Rescue Combat Application Medical Tourniquet weighing in at 2.7oz. Also, having a dedicated tourniquet pouch (like High Speed Gear Tourniquet Taco) or fastening system (like Blue Force Gear Tourniquet Now Strap Holder) is beneficial as it keeps it handy and eases the deploy of one when needed.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Can the swat t be self applied in a reasonable amount of time for a life threatening wound?

Depends, and certainly not as efficiently as a CAT or similar.

For me, the SWAT-T does not provide adequate compression to cut off flow when applied to my thigh. I can cut off flow with a CAT, but it takes a lot of effort and both hands. 2 CATs would be the best solution on my thigh. You would have to have two CATs for anyone with a thigh much larger than mine. I have broken the windlass on a training CAT applying it to my thigh before. I don't know how many times it had been used before, but it gives you an idea of the amount of force needed.

I can apply the the SWAT-T with one hand to my arm, but that is in a clean environment. Add a bunch of blood and it might not work well.

I carry a gen 7 cat on my pack belt. Agree with the idea of getting an extra and practicing. A website called fieldcraftsurvival is a good resource. Also get a pouch that protects it from snags, etc. but still allows for it to be deployed fast. I don’t care for open top or hard sided varieties.

huntnfolk

FNG
I have a CAT and a SWAT-T. Like the multifunction of the SWAT-T and have personally used it as a wrap when I broke my tibia. A coworker had a severe cut to his arm. Another coworker tried to use a SWAT-T, but it got bloody right away and he couldn't get good compression because it got so slick. A CAT was then attempted and successfully stopped the bleeding. Doc said it would have been questionable if he would have made it without the CAT.

I don't remember he specific percentage, but I think it's over 40% of leg wounds that require two tourniquets to completely stop blood flow. Whichever one you choose, placement should be high on the limb, and make sure there aren't things in pockets or thick clothing that will prevent the tourniquet from being effective.

As others have said, make sure you practice applying a tourniquet with a trainer and not the one for an emergency. Also practice applying it one handed.

Hope you never have to use it other than training!

Gorp2007

WKR
I’ll just add, make sure the other people in your group either have their own (best) or know where yours is located (better than nothing) so they can get it quickly. When seconds count, you don’t want your buddy doing a full pack dump looking for it.

Wags

WKR
The CAT is simple to use , the SWAT may be lighter but I wouldn't want to apply one to myself with my off hand and trust it as much as I would the CAT. That's mostly because I've used the CAT for years and I don't have as much experience with the SWAT. Whichever you choose make sure it's staged and in an easily accessible area that you can get to with 1 hand.

Rick653

FNG
CAT. And it may not be sneaky but I keep a red med pack attached right to my pack. Hopefully anyone that finds me in some trouble can immediately go to my kit for aid

TFrank

WKR
Got to go with the CAT. there are counterfeit ones out there so be careful. We had a batch that snuck through which the tensioner would break. I wish I could remember exactly how to identify the knock off one. It had something to do with smooth vs having teeth on the buckle part I believe.

Wags

WKR
Got to go with the CAT. there are counterfeit ones out there so be careful. We had a batch that snuck through which the tensioner would break. I wish I could remember exactly how to identify the knock off one. It had something to do with smooth vs having teeth on the buckle part I believe.

If it's not made by North American Rescue, don't buy it.

Saw some photos of a spear fisherman that got nibbled by a great white. Nasty lacerations on his foot and lower leg. There was an orange CAT tourniquet in the photos off to the side. Guess I will add a couple to the boat.

I have applied dozens of tourniquets in trauma settings. SWAT-T or CAT are the best hands down.