Trading my half ton for something with higher towing capacity

I've got a 2016 Chevy 1500, 80k miles, 5.3. It runs great, and is well kept. I'm exploring the idea of trading it for something with higher towing capacity. 3/4 ton, or 1 ton. However, I do not want to pay any more money. So, obviously I will need to take on a truck that is older and higher mileage in order to trade straight across. What is a good rule of thumb for how much older/ how much more mileage makes a fair trade in this scenario?

Colorado does take in account for trade in and you are only responsible for the difference in taxes. But a dealer is only going to offer you probably 60%-70% retail value for your trade in. So you will be taking a pretty big hit on what you can trade straight across for. If you own your current truck outright then then best option is to sell it privately and go get what you want. I have always ended upside down when trading in vehicles.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Colorado does take in account for trade in and you are only responsible for the difference in taxes. But a dealer is only going to offer you probably 60%-70% retail value for your trade in. So you will be taking a pretty big hit on what you can trade straight across for. If you own your current truck outright then then best option is to sell it privately and go get what you want. I have always ended upside down when trading in vehicles.
Thank you. I do own the truck out right. Sounds like I just need to start feeling out the market and be patient about it, and make sure I don't get taken advantage of.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yep. Always going to get more selling PP but it’s also a pain the higher the price point. Selling a 5k car is easy, selling a 30k car is a little tougher. The 8-9% tax break helps close the gap some. In the current used market, dealers have been paying way up. They need good inventory but it’ll never be private party money.

CRJR45

WKR
I have a 2016 2500HD 6.0 with 144,000 miles on it and it still runs and drives fine . It needs new rotors and pads , plus maybe some front end work . But I plan on taking it to New Mexico this year hunting .
Hope that helps.

Elite

WKR
I have a 2016 2500HD 6.0 with 144,000 miles on it and it still runs and drives fine . It needs new rotors and pads , plus maybe some front end work . But I plan on taking it to New Mexico this year hunting .
Hope that helps.

What kind of mileage do you see? The 6.0 are bullet proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Look at a used ram 1/2 ton diesal. Bighorn or rebel.

Attachments

• 20220205_142127.jpg
    20220205_142127.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 19

Elite

WKR
Try a ford 3.5 eco boost. I have had diesels and for a half ton it pulls amazing. I personally wouldn’t touch a a newer diesel that is off warranty. Just a personal opinion and being a HD mechanic by trade

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Try a ford 3.5 eco boost. I have had diesels and for a half ton it pulls amazing. I personally wouldn’t touch a a newer diesel that is off warranty. Just a personal opinion and being a HD mechanic by trade

I'm not a car guy, so trying to get a quick Google education on the half ton diesels is like reading another language at times. But why did the half ton diesel flicker out so quickly? Looks like 2018-2022 was the window for most of them?

Elite

WKR
I'm not a car guy, so trying to get a quick Google education on the half ton diesels is like reading another language at times. But why did the half ton diesel flicker out so quickly? Looks like 2018-2022 was the window for most of them?

Again just my opinion but you want a diesel for pulling power and mpg and longevity. Put it in a half ton and what’s the sense of it? Besides the fuel mileage advantage. Diesels have become extremely complicated to work on and the emission systems cause a lot of issues.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I have kept my '02 f350 7.3l just because of towing. It pulls better than anything else I've towed with. The only newer one I'd consider is the 6.7l, but again this is for heavy loads.

For practical purposes, what does your current daily trailer actually weigh?
We had a Ram Rebel that was rated for 11k iirc, and my son has a 3.5l eco boost that's rated similarly. If you aren't pushing the limits I'd go for one of them.

Overdrive

WKR
Have you considered air bags or added springs for a stiffer suspension for hauling?

I have a hard time getting excited about the newer trucks especially the diesel line up. I have an older Dodge 2500 5.9 cummins and I get 19-21 mpg everyday drive and get 15-16 pulling unless I'm pushing it hard over mountain passes then I get 12 mpg. The new diesels have too much smog crap and the mileage sucks.