Trading my half ton for something with higher towing capacity

OP
Lil-Rokslider
I have kept my '02 f350 7.3l just because of towing. It pulls better than anything else I've towed with. The only newer one I'd consider is the 6.7l, but again this is for heavy loads.

For practical purposes, what does your current daily trailer actually weigh?
We had a Ram Rebel that was rated for 11k iirc, and my son has a 3.5l eco boost that's rated similarly. If you aren't pushing the limits I'd go for one of them.
My daily trailer is super light. I don't even know exact weight, but my gas half ton handles it just fine. My camper is 6,500 lbs, also not super heavy, but my gas half ton definitely struggles with it when I need to climb.

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered air bags or added springs for a stiffer suspension for hauling?

I have a hard time getting excited about the newer trucks especially the diesel line up. I have an older Dodge 2500 5.9 cummins and I get 19-21 mpg everyday drive and get 15-16 pulling unless I'm pushing it hard over mountain passes then I get 12 mpg. The new diesels have too much smog crap and the mileage sucks.
I have considered that for sure. But that doesn't seem to solve the problem of just needing a bit more power when I'm pulling the camper up the mountains. My truck doesn't sag too much with the camper. The truck's just working pretty hard, and I'm afraid of trashing the transmission.

Yep. Always going to get more selling PP but it’s also a pain the higher the price point. Selling a 5k car is easy, selling a 30k car is a little tougher. The 8-9% tax break helps close the gap some. In the current used market, dealers have been paying way up. They need good inventory but it’ll never be private party money.

You only get a break on the difference in cost between trade and no trade. Certainly not enough to offset buying a new or newer truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you considered air bags or added springs for a stiffer suspension for hauling?

I have a hard time getting excited about the newer trucks especially the diesel line up. I have an older Dodge 2500 5.9 cummins and I get 19-21 mpg everyday drive and get 15-16 pulling unless I'm pushing it hard over mountain passes then I get 12 mpg. The new diesels have too much smog crap and the mileage sucks.

Air bags or spring do not add towing capacity. They only change how the vehicle sits and carries the load.

I have a deleted 6.7 Cummins with 3.73 gears and 285/70/17 tires and it on a good day will get 18 unloaded on the hwy and 10-11 pulling my 12k 5th wheel camper.

Overdrive

WKR
I have considered that for sure. But that doesn't seem to solve the problem of just needing a bit more power when I'm pulling the camper up the mountains. My truck doesn't sag too much with the camper. The truck's just working pretty hard, and I'm afraid of trashing the transmission.
I thought you were looking for better weight capacity looking to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton, not pulling power

If you're not dead set on getting rid of your current truck you could talk to a good transmission shop and they could set you up with a better cooler, shift kit and torque converter for your needs for far less then a new truck.

I'm a diesel guy when it comes to pulling nothing beats a turbo and better mpg's. I had a Dodge with a gas 360 3/4 ton it pulled fine but 6 mpg was a no go for me.
Air bags or spring do not add towing capacity. They only change how the vehicle sits and carries the load.

Exactly why I suggested them, to put on his 1/2 ton, it's obvious the load won't sit correctly if he's looking for a 3/4 to 1 ton. See plenty of 1/2 ton's going down the road hauling campers and enclosed trailers that could use them to get everything leveled out.

But since his response he's looking for more pulling power.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
for what it’s worth… I just bought the exact same truck but a 2015 with 56k miles on it for $26,500, in perfect condition. And that was by far the best deal around locally. It was private party. Trucks tend to be more expensive in the inland northwest.

Ken

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
You might consider some other mods if you like your truck now.
A re-gear would give you better torque for way less money. If you add a gear vendor o.d. you would recover the mileage on highway.
The opposite could also be effective. The gear vendor can be set up as an underdrive, and shut off when not needed.

Wrench

WKR
A few guys at work have the new half ton duramax trucks. They love them and the mileage they get is unheard of.

I have 3 diesel trucks, a 7.3psd, 12v cummins and a ram 5500 4x4. The ford is the best compromise for cost and effect. The 12v is the king of power and economy but loses in brakes and suspension. The 5500 4x4 is frigging killer in brakes and has low gears for huge loads....but at 10k empty isn't much on fuel economy.

I wouldn't be afraid of a early 2k's ford 7.3. The exhaust brake on the 6.7 cummins is unreal. A 12v truck is simply for enthusiasts.

Cowbell

WKR
Buy a 2500HD with a duramax motor. I've owned about ten of them now and they are by far the cheapest vehicles to own per mile depreciated.

Cowbell

WKR
Buy a 2500HD with a duramax motor. I've owned about ten of them now and they are by far the cheapest vehicles to own per mile depreciated.
The last two I bought new they cost me only oil changes (I change at 5000+) and tires (one set) and traded in at $13k off purchase price after owning 4+ years and never owned out of warranty.

Wrench

WKR
I had a duramax before my 5500. It's like a high powered half ton with good brakes. It rode the best empty by far. I found the suspension to be too soft when towing anything bigger than about 6k compared to the dodge and psd. My only issues were a fuel pressure sensor and it slipped the transmission pulling a hill which put it in limp mode.....that $cared the $hit out of me. After that I quit trying to pull Lookout hard and it never did it again.