Trail Cam height to avoid bears

Rokwiia

WKR
A number of people have commented how they lost their trail cam to a bear (as opposed to a human thief). We all know black bears are fantastic climbers but I doubt they will climb a tree to get at a trail cam.

How high would trail cam have to be to avoid a black bear ripping it down from the tree? Is 8' high enough?

I think the more important variable is avoiding putting bait scent on your camera or card. I always go to the camera first before i could get any bait scent on my hands. Then don gloves refill the barrel, remove gloves and turn on camera with new card as im walking out.
Bears will move heaven and earth to investigate what attracts them. My key is to try and limit that.
Ymmv

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Great thinking which I will do with a new trail cam. Older ones that already have my schent on them...what do you recommend I do, or use, to remove that?

The scent away sprays coupled with a little time to air out seem to work well for me. A new camera is gonna reek as well, Id give it the same treatment.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Great shot of the bear coming for your trail cam. I also try to camouflage my trail cams so I've got glue scents on them as well. I do wait a month before putting them out so as to try and off-gas the glue.

snakelk

WKR
I finally gave up and now have most all of my cams in security boxes. That's the only thing that's worked for me to beat the bears. Sure, they can still poke a claw through the lens, but they tend to give up right away if the box doesn't move with their initial swipe.