Trekking poles

Aroy

FNG
Looking for advice on a set of trekking poles that are pretty lightweight (somewhere around a pound). Carbon fiber more then likely at that weight.

Considering a set of black diamonds or s and s archery poles when they’re back up from being sold out.

Any other poles I should take a look at it which one of the above anyone would recommend?

Vandy321

WKR
Cant speak to the S&S, but I have a set of black diamond alpine carbon cork, I prefer the cork handle to rubber, sturdy poles, easily adjustable and they lock up tight. Got them for a stea at the members garage sale at REI.

OP
Aroy

Aroy

FNG
Cant speak to the S&S, but I have a set of black diamond alpine carbon cork, I prefer the cork handle to rubber, sturdy poles, easily adjustable and they lock up tight. Got them for a stea at the members garage sale at REI.
That’s actually the set of black diamonds I’ve been looking at, glad to hear someone’s got some good things to say about them! Thanks

Mosby

WKR
My son bought a pair of Komperdell carbon fiber poles that I was impressed with. Came with foam grips but extremely light weight and well made. I have a few different sets of poles but for hunting I prefer poles that fold up under 18 inches. Much easier to pack away when you don't need them. Something to consider when comparing.

I have BD Trail Ergo Cork poles. 1 lb 2 oz. Happy with them thus far. I know they aren't carbon but I am happy with them.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
I also have the Alpine Carbon Corks and love them.

I broke a lower section when a boulder rolled with the pole planted. 100% my fault and not a defect in any way. I called BD to see if I could buy just the replacement section and they sent me one for free. thumbs up for the customer service

OP
Aroy

Aroy

FNG
I also have the Alpine Carbon Corks and love them.

I broke a lower section when a boulder rolled with the pole planted. 100% my fault and not a defect in any way. I called BD to see if I could buy just the replacement section and they sent me one for free. thumbs up for the customer service
Can’t complain with that!

Which do you all think are stronger and less likely to break for a big man.
I have a set of LEKI aluminums with foam (EVO)? Grips. I used them last year. They held up good and didn't break. Thinking about upgrading next year to cork. But wondering if ai should stick to aluminum or go with carbon. I am not a long distance hiker. I use the poles mostly for balance and reducing fatigue.

jc91

FNG
Black diamond alpine carbon cork are great at absorbing shock, sturdy, don’t rattle, etc. Buy them from REI for the year of care free abuse that comes with it!

Mosby

WKR
Which do you all think are stronger and less likely to break for a big man.
I have a set of LEKI aluminums with foam (EVO)? Grips. I used them last year. They held up good and didn't break. Thinking about upgrading next year to cork. But wondering if ai should stick to aluminum or go with carbon. I am not a long distance hiker. I use the poles mostly for balance and reducing fatigue.
I have read that aluminum bends but carbon fiber breaks, which is why I have stuck with aluminum myself(I am a big dude too). My son bought carbon fiber poles and I had second thoughts after I picked them up. They are really nice and light but I normally only use my poles when I am carrying a heavy pack. A CF pole breaking could be sudden, where as an aluminum pole is more likely to bend. A bent pole is better than a broken shaft, so I decided to stick with aluminum for my hunting poles.

Black diamond alpine carbon cork are great at absorbing shock, sturdy, don’t rattle, etc. Buy them from REI for the year of care free abuse that comes with it!

I have had mine for over 10 years and no breakage at all. They work like they are new and also work as described above. I would never use anything else.

As for the aluminum vs. Carbon debate, let's be clear: Carbon fiber has come a long way since its introduction. Aluminum breaks also, and just as suddenly.

I've been using and abusing a set of Komperdell Ultralight Carbon Vario 4's for the past 4 season's and they have impressed me more than I ever expected. I've sent them back in to get the foam grip fixed after a marmot chewed it up and also when one of the inner twist locks mechanism's were starting to slip a little. The customer service has been superb and I'll be taking them again into the mountains this year. I went with these one's, because they go taller than most poles and work great for tarp use.