trekking poles

peterk123

WKR
As with all gear, the choices are dizzying. I have a cheap pair of Mountain Smiths that I have use for years. Made of aluminum, twist lock, shock absorbing and weigh 20 ounces or so for the pair. I would like to get a new pair of sticks for both me and my wife. I prefer the cam lock over the twist, not sure I need shock absorbing and conflicted regarding aluminum or carbon. Probably the main reason I am even considering carbon is that maybe, just maybe, they are a bit quieter than the aluminum ones (when I inadvertently hit them together). Appreciate any and all helpful advice on type, brand and model. Thx Pete

Just bought a 2 pack (2 pairs) of carbon trekking poles from Costco for $80. It's Costco, so I guess it would be anathema for them to sell a single pair, but sounds like they would hit what you're looking for. They seem pretty nice, cork handles, and they were $40 a pair, so I break one I won't be too heartbroken.

hunterjmj

WKR
Have a pair of black diamond cam lock type. Not sure the model but they are light and do the job when needed. I've had them a couple years now and find myself using them when I'm loaded or when I'm tired in the evening. Definitely worth the cost. I think around $100 pre Covid.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I went back-and-forth on getting aluminum or carbon fiber. At the end of the day I chose to go with aluminum given the amount of abuse they can take. Carbon fiber is incredibly stiff but one crack or gouge in the pole can cause catastrophic failure of the stick. Aluminum may bend but will serve its purpose until I get out of the back country. That said, the Black Diamond poles I have are made from aircraft grade aluminum which has proved incredibly sturdy.

These are the ones I have:

- RadDad

t_carlson

WKR
I have a pair of Black Diamonds that are carbon and aluminum. Cam lock, non-shock absorbing.

I would buy them again in a heartbeat. I don't think I would like the shock absorbing feature in steep terrain. Might be nice for trails, but the steep stuff is where they really come into play for me.

The aluminum shafts are a bit noisy, but the carbide tip hitting rocks is where most of the noise comes from when I am using them.

Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork (Whippet Ready model if you think you will run the whippet head, standard if not) are top of the line.

Cascade Mountain Tech are the go to budget option. Available at Costco, Sportsman's, Amazon, etc.

Ive got an older set of REI flash (I believe) carbon poles. They've been great and no issues in the 5+ years I've had them. They are much pricier now than when I got them however. Think they are like $149 now and I paid right at $100. They do have some flex in them, and are pretty light. I do wish mine had cork handles though, but haven't had any issues with the ones on them.

AdamLewis

FNG
I don't think I've ever had a bad set of trekking poles, so I wouldn't agonize over which to get too much.

I do like the Gossamer Gear ones I have now though. Locks are solid and they are really light, but the thing I like most is that they are pretty slick with no protrusions so they slide in and out of a pack without any hangups.

Miss cork handles a bit since they feel good and wear in really well, but whatever these are made of are a close second.

Randle

WKR
I just picked up a set of Black ovis creastones from camofire
I wanted a set that fold down enough that they go in the pack or when in the water bottle pocket they dont stick up above my shoulders in my pop up frame.
Used them to pack out my grandson bull worked great.
If I dont have poles i will cut a walking stick

I have used the same pair of Leki poles for over 20 years. I am biased towards Leki

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
Steer clear of the black diamond flz poles. Iv gone through two set, both had the glue fail in the locking mechanism.

BD warrantied the second set, and informed me the flz were not for “serious hiking use”.

3 seasons now with the BD alpine carbon cork I got on warranty, they have been a good pole.

Drenalin

WKR
I use these from Cascade Mountain Tech. Mine are 5.1 ounces per pole without any of the crap on the bottom or the wrist straps. Looks like the price went up $5 since I bought mine. The only gripe with them is collapsed length, otherwise they're sticks and do the job of a stick perfectly adequately for me.

I come from a deep ultra running background, and I have always used the black diamond carbon Z poles. They have taken some serious abuse too. $160 for some carbon sticks stung at first, but they’ve proven quite useful.