Trigger Job or Aftermarket Trigger?

Timney gets my vote...I never understood the difference a good trigger can make until I replaced the trigger the trigger on an old Ruger m77 I've had for years. I've got 3 and will eventually replace them all as the budget allows. The only exception is my little CZ 204 with the set trigger, it's the only factory trigger that I can't see getting any better.

Timney gets my vote...I never understood the difference a good trigger can make until I replaced the trigger the trigger on an old Ruger m77 I've had for years. I've got 3 and will eventually replace them all as the budget allows. The only exception is my little CZ 204 with the set trigger, it's the only factory trigger that I can't see getting any better.
Tang safety m77? What did you go with? I’ve tried a rifle basix sear and I was either at a pound or it couldn’t get out of the way and would not fire.

That does make sense, and is what makes me think twice...

But I don't really have any complaints about my current trigger. I know it's not the best there is, but it's fairly light, smooth, and not gritty or sloppy.

So, is it really night and day with one that the user thinks is more than acceptable?

I modify all sorts of things, I definitely see the value of aftermarket parts. It's the dollar value of replacing one that I think is fine, vs just tweaking it.

It is not night and day over factory Remington, but any decent trigger from a reputable brand will be a noticeable improvement. less creep, cleaner break, less over travel. It may not make your groups tighter, but for me it just makes the rifle feel nicer.

I tinker with everything I own as well, though when it comes to 700 triggers, I just get a $150 Timney, adjust to my liking, and be done. Even if a smith could tweak your factory trigger for that cost, why risk the unknown when there are so many readily available, quality, proven options?

Last edited:
It is not night and day over factory Remington, but any decent trigger from a reputable brand will be a noticeable improvement. less creep, cleaner break, less over travel. It may not make your groups tighter, but for me it just makes the rifle feel nicer.

I tinker with everything I own as well, though when it comes to 700 triggers, I just get a $150 Timney, adjust to my liking, and be done. Even if a smith could tweak your factory trigger for that cost, why risk the unknown when there are so many readily available, quality, proven options?
Because he charges $60, and is gonna have the rifle anyway.

The cost difference will feed that rifle for a few years.

Because he charges $60, and is gonna have the rifle anyway.

The cost difference will feed that rifle for a few years.
$100 bucks more for a sweet trigger--for the lifetime of a rifle isn't much compared with the other costs of hunting.

You might be asking the wrong crowd, there are a lot of people who would keep their factory trigger. Not very many people who like to shoot and hunt enough to get on the internet is the wrong group of people.

You'll spend the $60 now and end up spending the $150-$200 on a new trigger later.
I told my wife earlier that if you don't have the time or money to do it right the first time, you better have it the second time.

So I ignored all the "aftermarket because the stock one is junk" comments, and am still about to order a trigger.

Had a trigger put in a new Mark V in 270m. Turns out its me. I am the problem. Not the trigger. Yuuuuuuup.

Had a trigger put in a new Mark V in 270m. Turns out its me. I am the problem. Not the trigger. Yuuuuuuup.
But did you know it before you went from bad trigger to better trigger? I went through much the same thing, got all awesome gear and realized I just sucked. I gotta say having good gear made me want to practice more than when I had crappy gear.

If $40 - $100 is going to feed a rifle for a few years, then you're overthinking it. I wouldn't be putting any money in a rifle that basically never gets used. In fact, you'd be better off just getting rid of the entire rifle and put the money towards rifles that regularly get used.
That's a solid point... But there's no rifles I'd use more.

I'm very prone to going west to be camp cook and such. I tend to sell rifles fast because they don't get used... I got this one cheap because a buddy felt like he owed me.

So for the rifle, a decent scope, some ceracokote, trigger work and a stock and still I'm in for fewer dollars than the average 700, but something custom enough to hang on to.

I have trigger techs and timney in my rifles. I really like both but it sort of depends on what gun I’m using. The timney in my m70 is great, the trigger tech in my Remington 700 is also awesome. I even put trigger techs into my kimbers.

But did you know it before you went from bad trigger to better trigger? I went through much the same thing, got all awesome gear and realized I just sucked. I gotta say having good gear made me want to practice more than when I had crappy gear.
It was bouncing around in back of my head. Weath 270m that has a bite I dont care for. Now I know I just need to work on it.

Lots to be said about being in ehape and knowing how to shoot.

I’m short fat slow fat but was taught how to shoot and can shoot 1 inch at 250 with 3 of my rifles. Did a 1.3 shot dismeter hole at 225 w ruger precision some guy at range had. Basically 1 hole. Killer rifle tho.

Will trigger job help? Not if any part of your form is off.

Work on form then consider new trigger.

Not being an ass. Some stuff comes first.

What is everyone’s preferred poundage on a hunting trigger? I dug my ole 700 out of the safe and doing some tune ups to get it ready to elk hunt. I’m leaning towards a Triggertech at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I built I dropped a TT Primary trigger in a gun that will almost exclusively for hunting and will be a box of ammo per year gun. It feels good and was able to install it myself.

Including tax and shipping, I think I paid $160 for it. It was designed and built to work properly at 2.5lbs - 5lbs. In contrast, a massaged X-Mark was not.

Back