Trimble GPS Hunt App and it's online mapping tools at gpshuntfish.com are going away.

jmden

WKR
What's the next best option? I have onX Hunt but they, I believe, require more $ per year to have access on both a computer and phone.

The Trimble GPS Hunt membership lets you plan trips on computer (much easier with larger screen etc.) from ANYWHERE in the US and Canada and then transfer info back and forth from computer to phone for much less cost yearly that onX does. Access to the best topo maps for both countries.

I don't know that onX allows info to be exchanged between computer and phone unless (or maybe even if) you pay another exorbitant fee per year to activate a product on your computer besides the $ you already paid for the app on your phone. Also, they charge quite a fee for EACH state. I only get onX on a yearly basis if I am in a spot where I might have an issue with land ownership--very rare as I spend the vast majority of my time hunting in designated wilderness areas. It is a helpful tool, but too costly and restrictive. In dealing with them I always just feel they are wringing every last penny out of me and I don't appreciate it. I have a Google Earth overlay for my state they produced some years ago, but they are not doing GE overlays anymore. Really too bad as this type of overlay on GE is very helpful. Something about licensing issues such that they can't work with GE anymore...I'm guessing there's more to that story.

The fact is that I don't typically need all the fancy gizmos that onX is offering (more in leaps and bounds lately it seems) and pretty much just need access to USGS topo maps wherever I want to go in the US and Canada and the ability to plan a trip on the computer and transfer info back and forth from phone to computer. Trimble GPS Hunt was perfect.

So, what's out there that's like Trimble GPS Hunt?

Thanks,

Jon

sneaky

"DADDY"
DeLorme Earthmate is pretty similar and lets you do the same stuff. $39.99

DRUSS

WKR
thanks for the report. was just getting ready to resubscribe. this sucks i was starting to feel familiar with this app

OP
jmden

jmden

WKR
Yeah, bummer. I'd just figured out how to print maps while on the computer. I've had Trimble do this with another program I used to use and many other used--Google Sketch. Then Trimble bought it and is cost big bux all of a sudden. Cabela's actually used to own this Trimble app I think or at least they were in partnership. Maybe we should lobby Cabelas to buy it...

I was looking at the apple store today and it looks like 'Topo Maps+' can work with offline maps (downloaded to your phone for use in the backcountry where there's no cell signal) and they talk about printing maps so, that may be a candidate. It looks like you can print off the phone if you want a hard copy, which I always take with me. It's $14.99/year for 'high resolution' maps access. Don't know if there's a way to look at the maps and plan a trip on your computer via a website that will let you then sync trips.

Gaia GPS might be a candidate as well. It has a website that looks like you can work on maps there and sync stuff.

Anybody use these?

ChrisS

WKR
I use Gaia GPS and an iphone. I haven't had any issues with it. The app itself costs $20, and there's no fee to download topos and imagery (both in very good resolution) while on wifi and use it in airplane mode when offgrid to conserve battery. I think I've had it for 3-4 years now. The pro version (which has a $6 monthly or $40 yearly fee) supposedly has public land boundaries as an overlay and you can print out any custom maps you make online. But I haven't used either feature. I'm a GIS guy at the office, so I print out my own custom topos with Arc on waterproof paper.