Truck bed storage

Jmort1754

WKR
Ordered my cap. Just waiting on it.

In the mean time we are taking a trip and looking for ideas to keep things safe and dry in the bed.

What boxes or bags would you all recommend ?

KyleR1985

WKR
Remington 82 Quart WEATHERTIGHT Storage Box, Store-It-All Utility Tote, Black, Pack of 1 https://a.co/d/9nWEtZz

I bought a four pack of these off Amazon in 2017 - they were IRIS brand. 100.00. Don’t see them anymore. But after I bought them, I liked them so much, I saw these in Academy and bought four more. They’re identical.

They’re the perfect size and shape for loading gear in my opinion. You can’t fill them too heavy to sling in and out of the truck. They store my gear year round in house, in attic, in shop, at campsite, in truck.

Hard to stomach paying double now. But if I didn’t already have 8, I would.

I have a camper top. I want a deck and storage drawers, and hope to build soon. These would easily fit on top of that with no issue as well.

Here's a few pics. This is my dad's set up. Don't really lose usable space because everything breakable can go in there and you don't have to worry about it. Then it flattens out the bed to wheel well high.

Attachments

• image000000(1).jpg
    image000000(1).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 62

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ordered my cap. Just waiting on it.

In the mean time we are taking a trip and looking for ideas to keep things safe and dry in the bed.
Several years ago my wife and I were planning a two week trip "around the West". We tried to get a cap for the truck before we left, but it wouldn't come in in time. So the dealer "loaned" us a different one they had there for our trip and then switched them out when we got back. Might be worth asking the dealer. Of course, you've already ordered.......so you don't really have any leverage in negotiating now. ;)

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Right. Didn't think about it.

Several years ago my wife and I were planning a two week trip "around the West". We tried to get a cap for the truck before we left, but it wouldn't come in in time. So the dealer "loaned" us a different one they had there for our trip and then switched them out when we got back. Might be worth asking the dealer. Of course, you've already ordered.......so you don't really have any leverage in negotiating now. ;)
I am going to buy a decked system but just want something that will keep our luggage dry for now.

ODB

WKR
Just curious what the wait time is on your cap? Mine was 20 weeks. Oof

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
My 100xq sport last year took right under 6 months. The stupid spoiler piece and gasket were backordered for months. Part of it was my fault for being busy and not putting pressure on my dealer often enough, part of it was the dealer’s fault for not pushing their rep until I basically drug them by the hair to.

I have a big husky plastic rolling job box that I used for storage in my old truck. I used that while I waited and now it stays in there with all my tools and junk in it.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
My 100xq sport last year took right under 6 months. The stupid spoiler piece and gasket were backordered for months. Part of it was my fault for being busy and not putting pressure on my dealer often enough, part of it was the dealer’s fault for not pushing their rep until I basically drug them by the hair to.

I have a big husky plastic rolling job box that I used for storage in my old truck. I used that while I waited and now it stays in there with all my tools and junk in it.
I use two of them to store gear. Was looking at the half size ones.

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
I have one of these ratchet strapped against the front of my bed. Holds jumper cables, tow ropes, tools, etc. Easy to take out if I need all of my bed for something.

Pn8hall

WKR
For the money in totes why not buy a cheap roll up tonneau cover? Thats what i did while waiting the 16 weeks for my ARE shell. It was under $200. I have the diy decked drawers and just locked my tailgate. Everything stayed dry and secure.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
For the money in totes why not buy a cheap roll up tonneau cover? Thats what i did while waiting the 16 weeks for my ARE shell. It was under $200. I have the diy decked drawers and just locked my tailgate. Everything stayed dry and secure.
I like the way you think. I just bought one last night

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a used tundra a year ago or so and it had the ARE vault system in it. The drawers are the length of the bed.

Attachments

• 76D7E22B-3FF1-449A-B1A4-628C542B3951.jpeg
    76D7E22B-3FF1-449A-B1A4-628C542B3951.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 34
I use the brute rubber tubs with lids. They stack and hold up good in freezing to very hot conditions. I prefer smaller tubs but more of then. A lot less digging and rummaging than a larger tub. I mark the tubs with a piece of masking tape with what is in them. I used other plastic tubs and they tore up too easily.
I have yet to tear up one of these Brutes and I have had them for 5 years. I liked them so I bought a bunch of them for stuff in my garage. I live in Florida but keep a warehouse in Alabama where my hunting lease is and I keep all my gear and equipment in Brute tubs there as well. Great organization.
I have a $300 roll up cover for my bed and it works great but since the bed is not waterproof I like to have my things in tubs. The cover is watertight but Chevy saw fit to design holes in the front of the bed for some reason. Not much water gets in thru those if any but I dont take the risk.

kcruz

FNG
I second the Plano boxes for a nice cheaper alternative. They cant take a huge beating, but are pretty weather resistant.