Truck is Gear, right??? F150 vs F250....

Tod osier

WKR
Need to buy a new truck. Main purpose is for long distance towing a camper with a lot of weight in the bed on long trips. We have a 5.7L Tundra that has served us well (plenty of HP, good tow vehicle, has always got use home), BUT we need more payload capacity (tundra payload is very low (about 1300-1400#) and 500 pounds of trailer with weight distribution on the hitch, a cap, passengers and a thousand plus pounds of gear in the bed puts us way over payload).

My priority is long-term reliability far from home. I’m not interested in making a truck work (adding bags, helpers, etc…), I want to exceed all parameters with a healthy margin with a stock truck using a weight distributing hitch (we are great with the Tundra except for the payload). I like the peace of mind to not be pushing any aspect of the rig. I’m looking for a tow vehicle that will get used some around town, but mainly for towing (10-15K miles on the road, 5K miles around town).

My two options to get me where I want as far as capacity follow, both are pretty basic rigs as far as creature comforts:

F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (SuperCrew, 4x4, 5.0L, 3.73 rear with elocker, tow added)

F250 pretty stock with just a couple additions (Crew, 4x4, 6.2L, 3.73 rear with elocker, tow included)

(I can get far into the weeds with exactly what models and options if someone wants…)

For long term dedicated towing the f250 seems like the logical choice for a similar price to the F150 equipped with the Heavy Duty payload package, tow package, etc… The f250 far exceeds what I need, but doesn’t seem that much more expensive as far as maintenance and fuel. Am I crazy to go bigger and what is going to surprise me? Looking for real world experience.

What are the downsides of going f250???? I’ve never had a ¾ ton and never thought I would. Just looking real world experience.

Last edited:

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Go with the 3/4 ton. They are made more for towing and will fit your primary intended purpose better without having to work as hard for it. A 1/2 ton truck is primarily made as a driving vehicle with occasional work use. 3/4 ton is made to be used working hard. The drive train is heavier duty and the bigger engine won't have to be pushed as hard to get you where you want to go at a decent rate of speed. You'll be happy you went bigger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
ut mainly for towing (10-15K on the road, 5K around town).
Go with the 3/4 ton. They are made more for towing and will fit your primary intended purpose better without having to work as hard for it. A 1/2 ton truck is primarily made as a driving vehicle with occasional work use. 3/4 ton is made to be used working hard. The drive train is heavier duty and the bigger engine won't have to be pushed as hard to get you where you want to go at a decent rate of speed. You'll be happy you went bigger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks, that is for sure what I'm thinking.

If anyone has thoughts on unanticipated downsides, I'm all ears!

A 3/4 ton will handle the loads better, in large part simply due to the mass of the truck. It won't get pushed around by the load like a lightweight aluminum F150 will. This is particularly noticeable in bad weather. I can tow through loose snow with my 2500 in much more comfort than any 1/2 ton truck I've owned. All the heavy duty components are a major perk also. If you are towing 10k +, that is 3/4 ton territory for sure.

Drawbacks are that a 6.2L F250 is an 11 mpg average truck with a tall step in height, harsher ride and annoying to park in town. Pretty sure you figured that aspect out though.

Grumman

WKR
I just tried to downsize to a F150 until the test drive. It just wasn’t the tall heavy duty truck I’ve been used to. Ultimately I went from a Cummins diesel Ram 3500 to a 2019 F250 6.2 gasser with the STX package. I really like it so far. I’m averaging 12.5 mpg around town. The 5.0 gets better mileage but I wasn’t fan of how it got it via lots of gear changing and cutting the engine off at a stop. They are also made in different Ford plants. From the ones on the lot the fit and finish were better on the Super Duty.

94b1a912c1de7daaafaa8d622efb5cac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tems908

FNG
I went from a F150 to a F250 to pull our family travel trailer and it is a night and day difference. I have the crew cab 6.2 V8 gasser and love it. The only downsides which we knew when we purchased it are a stiffer ride and the lower gas mileage. Based on you requirements I would say go with the 250, you won't be disappointed.

WKR
Go with the F250, you won't regret it if you are going to be towing. You are always going to be waiting more in the F150. Like stated before the F250 isnt going to be as smooth as F150 but its way better then my leaf spring 03. I have an 19' with the 6.2L 4x4 hauling a welder around and I get 13 hwy, 11.5 town. My wife's 15' 3.5L eco boost expedition el 4x4 gets 16 hwy, 13.5 town. Not that much better.

10-15k you need to go with the f250 for sure. you would be at the upper end of a 150 and that's no fun at all. both of my brothers have the new 6.2 f250 crew short beds and they are really really nice trucks. apples to apples it's a very minimal upcharge to go with the superduty.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if you feel like waiting til Fall, but Ford is going to be adding a 7.3L gasser to their SuperDuty engine lineup as well. Just something to consider.

My personal truck is a 150 work truck a 250. I like both of them. The 150 gets 50% better gas mileage. It’s more comfortable.

The 250 sits up higher which I like.

For towing I would go with the 250.

that's odd you can't get the ecoboost with that package since the general consensus is that the ecoboost is a way better motor for towing and hauling torque wise.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Really? My 2014 Ecoboost had the 7700 lbs and max tow package.

Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP) is required to make an F150 work out for us with the capacity margin desired (that is our problem with a 1/2 ton weight in the bed and on the tongue on long trips). HPDD is not a tow package it is a payload package (you seem to have the 2 confused). The truck can only be built with HDPP and standard tow package (not max tow, which is fine for us). Max tow requires the 3.5L and can't be added with HDPP. Either way the F250 is probably a better option overall and can be priced similarly to the F150 with the options needed.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
that's odd you can't get the ecoboost with that package since the general consensus is that the ecoboost is a way better motor for towing and hauling torque wise.

I only know what is available, the 3.5L is the engine required for the Max Tow package, but is not available with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (which requires the 5.0L).

^^^ either way you're going to be happier with the 6.2 gasser. Mine is getting around 16 goind down the highway w/ 3:73's. It's been a beast of a little truck, wouldnt hesitate to buy another.