Truck Oil Change - Mileage or Computer?

sndmn11

WKR
I have tested more oil samples than one can count over a 25 year career formulating motor oil. The tests range from the field to engines run on dynos and I know what I’m talking about. Most cases where the engines were run for an extended length of time (10000 miles). You are absolutely wasting money changing any full synthetic oil prior to 7500 miles unless you are undergoing extreme towing for most of those miles. Anyone telling you differently is trying to sell you more motor oil. But to each their own.
What can you tell us about oil filters? This month the car store oil change package was a KN oil filter and the Mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage; my 2005 hemi Ram's first taste of full synthetic. I'd be smitten if I can go past 5k miles with that combo.

rayporter

WKR
the company sent in oil samples yearly for generators [ big stuff like 750 k as well as small 30k] they only changed the oil when the analysis said it was time. in 31 years i remember changing oil once.

but i did have one swallow a valve the month before i retired, too. it was a 1952 model and was totaled. i don't remember how many hours was on it. the mechanic said i was lucky it did not run away on me. in five more minutes it would have scattered he said.

buzzy

WKR
What can you tell us about oil filters? This month the car store oil change package was a KN oil filter and the Mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage; my 2005 hemi Ram's first taste of full synthetic. I'd be smitten if I can go past 5k miles with that combo.
We rarely saw problems with oil filters and when we did they were with HD engines like the big rig trucks going down the road. Most oil filters are of pretty good quality.

I’m surprised how little of a mention the owners manual has gotten. The manufactures are pretty good about what they can handle. All of my newer vehicles seem to fall inline with that by the computer. The wife’s 17 Chevy equinox is by the computer at 80-90% which is near 7500 miles as the indicator is just purely by mileage from what I can tell. No problems so far at about 70k. I use full synthetic valvoline and the 20k mile filter from Walmart.

on my 15 ram 3500 with the 6.7 in it I go by the indicator which is again by mileage. And that follows the owners manual as well. Again I change before I hit 100% but near 12-14k miles. I use a factory filter and also have to do two fuel filters at the same time. Again I use a full synthetic. No motor problems on that but exhaust/emissions issues with all the crap required. About 97k on the truck.
Had an old Corolla that used a quart of oil every tank of gas. I used the cheapest stuff I could find in that car.

RS3579

WKR
On my 2017 Tundra the computer says at 5000 miles. I use mobile 1. My wife’s Subaru Legacy I change at 5000 miles also. The computer says around 7000 miles. The Subaru burns oil and I need to add it before a change. She bought it new. We had a consumption test done at the dealer within the 1st year and they said it was normal for it to burn about a quart before the 5000 mile change. Her next vehicle will be a Toyota.

TheGDog

WKR
Full synthetic car oil has additives in it, friction modifiers, which is why you can't use it in a Moto. (Will mess up the clutch plates)

I usually just do the 5K miles, since I don't really drive much until I'm going out hunting since work from home. So I don't have to change very often in 1 yr. There's only been one time so far that the computer alerted me slightly earlier than the 5K. I just figured it must mean the kinds of driving I'd done must have been more taxing during this particular period, so went ahead and changed it anyway since close to that 5K mark.

If you happen to change it more frequently, that's just more insurance that the engine is not running with contaminants in the oil. And oil whose viscosity has broken down.

It's a good idea to inspect what drains out. look for not good coloration of the oil, like with light grey or a color of coffee with a lot of creamer (can signify a seal in the engine somewhere is allowing fluids such as coolant to get into the oil pan, or ATF getting into the oil), using a wide oil drain receptacle pan, slowly tilt it around to one side in all directions in a circle and look around on the bottom and verify there's no metallic particles that have settled there either. Good thing to do for piece of mind.

Like when you get a new car or Moto, it's a good idea to do first oil change at 600mi. Also with moto... during first 600mi of break-in, you want the engine to be experience a constantly varying load. In other words, no droning along on a Hwy at a constant speed. Perfectly fine to ride it on a Fwy... but just gotta make sure to constantly back-it-off.. then roll it back on... ad infinitum. This causes varying forces to be applied to the rings on the cylinder, which ensures they'll seat properly and that any little micro burrs come off in that 600mi oil that you dump right away, as it will usually have some trace amounts of metallic particles in it from all the surfaces which are mating more and more as microscopic burrs wear-off of surfaces.

EDIT: I'm told car manufacturers now pre-break-in motors in an automated way, I wouldn't trust it though.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I run Mobil 1 and change it every 5k miles. I've never had a truck smart enough to monitor its own oil life, but I have owned a few with famously poorly designed engines that I pushed over 300k regardless.

5k intervals are almost definitely overkill, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

At $35 an oil change, I'll end up spending an extra 1k to change the oil every 5k instead of every 10k over the next 300k miles.

I work in a part of the world where the engine block could experience ambient starting temps between -30 to +110F within the same six months. Desert moon dust is also no joke and even new oil turns into cutting fluid when it gets contaminated.

Another thing that I like about super conservative oil change intervals is that there's a buffer for when life gets in the way. If I'm close to the planned 5k and some unexpected family emergency or hunting/fishing opportunity comes up, I don't have to worry about changing oil before I head out of town.

They always say you can't put a price on peace of mind, but you can. It's about $35 two or three times a year.

SWOHTR

WKR
A-1R.

Annually or as required, both of which are dictated by the computer. The periodicity is never greater than one year, and this is on both GM and VW.

ODB

WKR
Full synthetic car oil has additives in it, friction modifiers, which is why you can't use it in a Moto. (Will mess up the clutch plates)

Yup. Toyota synthetic motor oil is made by Mobil 1 and has about 10x the molybdenum in it as well as a different mix of additives. Someone called BS on that one time and then they had it tested and sure enough - a whole different formula.

That said, I use Toyota oil in my 2021 Tundra and Mobil1 in my 2002 Tundra. the Gen1 gets it 5K miles and it's at 230K now. Good stuff.

I’m not who you were asking but I’d put at least 10k on that combo

Gboots

FNG
When do you change oil in your truck? [gas engine]

I reset my oil computer indicator when I change oil, but I typically change oil at 4000mi.
At 4000mi, the computer says I still have 40-45% of oil life left.

Am I wasting some $$ by not following the engine computer?
Or it it better to change to oil more frequently than what the computer says?
I always change the oil in my cars (gas) at 3500 miles and 5000 miles in my diesel truck. Not a mechanic just habit.

dtrkyman

WKR
Full synthetic when the light comes on, 172k and still runs the same as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venom One

WKR
When do you change oil in your truck? [gas engine]

I reset my oil computer indicator when I change oil, but I typically change oil at 4000mi.
At 4000mi, the computer says I still have 40-45% of oil life left.

Am I wasting some $$ by not following the engine computer?
Or it it better to change to oil more frequently than what the computer says?
Definitely changing it more than necessary. The computer seems to be pretty accurate.

Normal driving:
Conventional oil - 5k - 6k (8k is probably max I would go)
Synthetic oil - 10,000 - 12,000 (15K is probably max)

If you want a scientific answer for your vehicle using your oil, get a sample kit from Blackstone Labs, pull a sample and send it to them. They'll give you a full report and recommendation for interval.

Venom One

WKR
I put 440k on my 7.3 changing anywhere from 5000 to 20000 using delo 400. The new f-150 with mobile-1 was changed at 3000 till it hit 15k and now gets changed at 5k intervals.
Wow! Your 7.3 has some miles. I'm only at ~230K and generally change around 8K based on the oil analysis recommendation I got several yrs ago and use Delo also.

99 tacoma 3.4l v6 270k
I change the oil and filter every 5-7k 5w-30 full synthetic.
Check your oil and fluids regularly and change it at mileage intervals.
I keep a log book for all the maintenance and repairs I make.
Don't wait to change it until the oil light/genie lamp comes on.